Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-24-2012, 08:57 PM

Default Gun show

Yesterday I went to a gun show at the YORK PA fairgrounds, I expected to see guys going out the door with cases of ammo but that wasn't happening, I suppose the OBAMA scare hasn't fully struck yet? I did see a nice BRNO 22 Hornet with double set triggers (I believe it was a 465) and a period scope the guy wanted over $1200.00, I had a STEYR PROHUNTER to trade and he wouldn't even look at it, he said he didn't like black rifles, oh well.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Supporting Member

Back when I was still working and had money I'd go to like every gunshow -- both local and out-of-town. back then I could find all kinds of good stuff -- I was into older rifles like single shots and stuff like that. I go now and all I see is AR-15's, ammo I don't use, people selling beef jerky, old coins or Mosen Nagant rifles. I only go maybe once or twice a year now. I did go to a show up in North Carolina years back and it was great but I imagine it's degraded to what I have found locally.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:45 PM

Default Baklava

This one had it all, roasted nuts, jewlery, beef jerky, swords, tee shirts one guy had guns and a glass case with Baklava $2.00 a serving. I wonder if he was Greek?

Last edited by Pahoghunter; 06-24-2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-25-2012, 03:27 AM

What you do is go to the site of the show, stand outsideand ask everybody carrying something in what hey have! Make a deal on the outside and let them spend the $8.00 to go iside and spend the money you just paid them on the outside that they could have gotten decent money somewhere else for!! GHD
Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Supporting Member

I will say that once a year there is a small gun show in the next town that is put on by a gun collectors group and it is a real knock-out of a show -- only problem the stuff is really collectable stuff that I can't afford but it sure is cool to got look at. The only other problem is they advertise in a small add in the local newspaper and half the time I miss it -- darn. There is no junk but they have every type of true collectable firearm you can imagine and really good parts. It's only once a year -- darn!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Supporting Member

Default gunshows

I love all gunshows, I've had tables at Market Hall off and on for 10 years. Lot's of overpriced stuff but not many places you can go and immerse yourself for a whole day, in my case a weekend. Market Hall does a pretty good job of keeping the peanut and beany baby sellers in one area and some of my best deals have come off those tables or walking right by me being carried by someone. When I think about what some of the Saubierite's have to do to purchase a rifle I shudder, in my backyard it's "hey mister, what do you want for that?"
Old 06-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
I love all gunshows, I've had tables at Market Hall off and on for 10 years. Lot's of overpriced stuff but not many places you can go and immerse yourself for a whole day, in my case a weekend. Market Hall does a pretty good job of keeping the peanut and beany baby sellers in one area and some of my best deals have come off those tables or walking right by me being carried by someone. When I think about what some of the Saubierite's have to do to purchase a rifle I shudder, in my backyard it's "hey mister, what do you want for that?"
I lived in the Dallas metro from 92'-96' and I SOOOO miss the Market Hall gun shows...they were the best! I have also been to shows in Washington, Oregon & Utah...nothing compares.

One of these days I would like to visit the BIG one in Oklahoma...someday.

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Talking

Near me we have the Bob-N-Rocko shows at various spots across Southern WI. Have scored some decent deals over the years. Usually pretty big and a lot of fun to peruse.

I had to laugh at the comment re: the beef jerky! Around here at the Lakemoor show, there's always a table of white athletic socks. Like hundreds of them. I guess in case you want to do some calisthenics with your shooting. LOL
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM

I'm on the east coast where there are more gunners than hunters. My semi-annual local show's biggest tables are for the guys getting ready to go "Full Combaty" The majority is dedicated to the black gun gang. Seem to be less hunters every year and more shows & gun shops are emphasizing the self defense/assault weapons line of goods. Bottom line is that's where there's money to be made considering the hunter numbers. Haven't see much in the way of deals for guns or ammo at the last couple shows.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 PM

The last few gunshows that I attended, had fairly pricey entry fee, plus some had parking fees as well. Gone up some in recent years. I attended a local show a few years ago, probably only had 20 tables(mostly non-gun), but the fee was there. You did not know until you got in about how few there was.

The stuff I see is mainly black guns, large capacity semi auto pistols, and ammo for black guns. No barrels, stocks, parts really. What is a 40x? T-shirts and oddities abound. In a few years past, one saw the same guns for a long period of time, priced out of this world and never sold.

I went with a nice remington 700 to a show to trade/sell once a few years back. The guys offered me 200-300, and beaters on their tables were 550. So cooled me off I reckon from further shows. My No.1 was a bit lower in price on trade/buy outright, so kept both.

I see more palatible stuff at the local gunshops, while not bargains most times, at least not over GunBroker asking prices either.

Was not impressed with 100 dollar primers either really.

Friends tell me the Tulsa Wannamaker shows are good for seeing things, but prices are high there as well.