Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-27-2017, 03:55 PM

Happy to see you got your freezer topped off for another year, Sir! You hunt like we do, the dinner table gets first priority. My boys (13 &14) each contributed a buck to our freezer three weeks ago. One spike and one fork, monsters for sure!

Anyway, glad you had success and hope it was a pleasant trip. Take care.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:17 PM

Doug buddy, great to see you out there taking your rifle for a walk and coming home heavy.

Congrats on the fine eating you and Nancy will have this winter, which by the looks of it, may be on the way.

Oh, and nice shot for an old guy!
Old 10-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
That's great Doug.
Hell man, rack like that will even make good soup!
Nice n tender.

Just about what I shoot for elk too. Only 200gr GK's.

Did that bullet exit?

Thanks for sharing the hunt with us.
George that red spot behind the shoulder a bit was an exit wound, about the size of a silver dollar and nothing but ribs in between. He was quartered a titch toward me cause the entrance wound on the other side was a couple inches forward of the exit your looking at. He was a bit over 350 yards but I was shooting off a bag.
As to the bullet I was shooting, the Hornady "190 grain Interlock" that particular rifle loves em and I love the way they perform. This is a picture of one of them bordered by two that were recovered from different elk. The longer one as memory serves was out of one shot at 450 to 500ish and stopped on the far side shoulder, the shorter squashed one took out the far side shoulder joint at 350ish to 400ish. If I'm shooting at an elk that's quartering away away from me I line the vertical cross-hair up to hit the far side shoulder, that's when I get recovered bullets. Full broadside and it is almost always a through and through wound channel with some real gooey lungs in the middle, no wasted meat and they usually make it about 30 or 40 yards after being hit. I never shoot running animals unless someone's wounded it first!
Hornady discontinued these bullets, I guess they cost to much, I paid $14.00 or $15.00 a hundred. I now have 181 of em left so that oughtta get me through to the end. They are always changing things to keep ya buying new stuff when the old stuff worked just fine . These were a great bullet.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:28 PM

Well done, Doug. Not a lot of animals left here. We used to have the highest per-acre moose population in B.C., but any more, the predation was made them few and far between. Elk and moose calls elicit wolf howls, more often than not.

Heading out SouthWest of town tomorrow to see if I can round up a deer for the freezer.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:34 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Doug buddy, great to see you out there taking your rifle for a walk and coming home heavy.

Congrats on the fine eating you and Nancy will have this winter, which by the looks of it, may be on the way.

Oh, and nice shot for an old guy!
Anyone passing by could call and if I'm home you could drop in for some chow, Rick, Ramos, Daryl, whoever, "I cooks em even better than I kills em cause I kills em young! ". Us ole guys get sneaky like that as the years pass. I passed on this ole boy last year, my buddies 15 year old Grandson got him last week. Been fight'n some! Blinded in one eye, a big tear down the other side of his face and really gaunt in the body. My partner sent me the picture which is why I edited out the top. I told him when I saw it "I bet he was a rank ole dude", he tells me "we could smell him when we were 20 feet away from him" YIKERS, YUCK! Gonna turn him into burger and use pork suet instead of beef then hope for the best. At 15 however the Lad was really jacked and he's gonna mount the memory not the hamburger.

Good luck on that deer Daryl. We are gonna end up in the same situation if the bunny huggers keep giving apex predators special dispensation. We're down about 70 percent in the Gallatin Canyon on elk since the wolves have been reintroduced and coddled by the guys at the top. Same with Grizzly's, when we had a hunting season on em they were scared of people, now they hear a rifle fire and the think it's a dinner bell, GRRRR!!
I digress, sorry.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Kids got a lotta memories in that rack. stinking old bull or not.
Around these parts bulls that big are rare to see.

Thanks on the bullet info. Very true, when they produce things
that work great they'll discontinue them and come up with something
else usually half as good.

For the range, those two opened up quite well. Gosh, 181, that's a bunch of elk to shoot yet. Hope you can use 'em all up as planned. They'll last longer on meat than paper though.

cheers!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 10-30-2017, 10:28 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Kids got a lotta memories in that rack. stinking old bull or not.
Around these parts bulls that big are rare to see.

Thanks on the bullet info. Very true, when they produce things
that work great they'll discontinue them and come up with something
else usually half as good.

For the range, those two opened up quite well. Gosh, 181, that's a bunch of elk to shoot yet. Hope you can use 'em all up as planned. They'll last longer on meat than paper though.

cheers!
I was just joking George. Being empty nesters now one elk a year is all we need so 181 of em is a way plenty. Rifles pillar bedded so it never moves point of impact but I shoot three or four before every season to check point of aim and foul the barrel so 4 to 6 rounds is about all I shoot a year. 6 into 181 has me set up for about 30 more elk and as optimistic as I try to be I ain't seeing 30 more elk in my future .

Saw a bruiser in the back of a truck being taken on a tour of down town today, I think they wanted everyone in town to see it . Oh well, it was a "BIG" bull (a lot bigger then the one my buddies Grandson shot) and the guy was real proud, probably his first. As the kids say a lot "It's all good" .
Old 10-31-2017, 03:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I hear ya Doug!
Am sitting not far from a stack of 19 SAW cans FULL of ammo right now.
and haven't been out for over a year. I did shoot five thru the new .243 in the
shop at the trap a month or so ago. Maybe 20 all this year, mostly revolvers.
Just haven't felt up to the short drive to the range.

Wish you well, keep that plow handy, it ain't gonna be long pard!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-01-2017, 12:53 AM
Supporting Member

Smile

Thanks for sharing Doug!
Old 11-01-2017, 02:11 AM
Supporting Member

Talking Another horn hunting buddy, glad he likes sausage!

A buddy got a bull yesterday, he sent me a couple pics by phone. Great guy, great hunting partner and when he sees horns he goes ga-ga! Good for him though cause he sure digs it. We all hunt how we enjoy it most and he's a great hunter!
This years bull he took up behind his house.

Him getting it back home.

His might look better but mine sure taste better. That's my story and I'm sticking to it !