Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-21-2019, 02:26 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
.......................My thoughts, for my purpose and intentions, the 17HH and 17FB will both be run with 20 grain bullets. The 17 Remington will run with 25 and heavier......................

..................From what I think I know now and I was to start all over from scratch, I would go with a 17-223 just because of brass. Or just go to a 17-204. No change to either on necks or shoulder angle..................
I couldn't agree more with these two ideas.

All of my small case 17's shoot 20 grain bullets. 25 grain bullets for the 17 Remington.

And if 17 Remington brass is an issue, the 17-223 and/or the 17-204 are two simple solutions to replace it.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-21-2019, 10:09 PM

I have thought the 17 Remington has been dead for a number of years. Owned one about 15 years ago or so. But with the brass being harder to find then and the cost of it I sold it. But I love the 17 Calibers so I decided to barrel up a 17 Tactical. Best decision I’ve ever made. Bought 300 rounds of Lapua .223 brass and Redding dies. Then I Bought a bunch of Berger 25 grain HP Match bullets when they still made them probably about 1000. And then bought a bunch of Kindler 21, 27 and 30 grain Golds, and some Genco 26 grain RBBT bullets. At the time my brother was giving me a hard time about buying so many bullets, he ain’t giving me crap now. lol I probably have enough bullets for 2 barrels lifetimes. I love the 17 Tac, shoots 25 grain bullets 4100 fps and the 27’s and 30’s 4000 fps.

Bought the 21 grain Kindlers for my 17 Ackley Hornet for Red Fox, and Bobcats..... Running them around 3700 fps...

Last edited by UTcaller; 01-23-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:27 PM

OEM 17 remington brass or ammo sometimes is around, just have to be on the lookout. I saw 5 boxes of ammo on the shelf at Cabelas this weekend, priced way up there, but it was there; abeit for someone else.

With that said..............sometimes saying is easier than doing I reckon; one might ponder:

Using 222 remington magnum brass or ammo, fired cases could be reused; sometimes is around.

Using 204 ruger brass or ammo, newer offering; fired cases again could be used; but not looked for such in a long while. Have a little pile, for hard times in other cartridge forming; but not fooled with it to any degree yet.

Using the relatively new Starline 223 basic, supposed to be longer than 223 to start with according to their site..........if I read that correctly.

Basic brass, ie 308 basic......45 basic.......has been around, the 223 is new to me here. Basic implies a lot of work to get there, but is a path for some.

All will have some items to address obviously. Two areas that stick out early to me is neck thickness after forming(commercial form dies, homebrew, or bushing dies) and relative case capacities.

Smaller case capacity will drive up pressures with like loadings......the release of the bullet during firing is a good thing to be sure.

With the 17 remington, sometimes the corporate mandates as to parameters just do not work out for anyone really. Not dealing with a lower pressure round at all.

Most of this stuff is just mind wandering on my part, when I buy brass for a rifle or a to be rifle; I buy brass, and never look back. Twas hard for me to learn such, but tis nice to have the right stuff...........unless you are a wildcat junkie like me and thinks that my time is worthless anyway........... ....challenges you know.........

Last edited by rick w.; 01-21-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:16 AM

I and a half dozen others tried to get starline to make some 223 basic about 1999-2001. We had the minimum order covered. We pretty much had the dies covered, until they came up with final figures. Minimum brass order more than tripled, as did the price of dies.
Now almost twenty years later they make it. Three of the original bunch of us are still in contact with each other on a regular basis. They got ahold of the other guys about it and we all had a laugh. Most of us were working with wildcats on TC and XP platforms, a couple were playing with AR's. One of those guys built basically a rimless 357 maximum for his suppressed AR. I see guys talk about it and some have done it, but they speak as if it is new.
Same goes for the 300BO. There was the 30x221 even before JD made and labeled his 300 Whisper. Yet it is new?

Who knows, maybe starline will make 17 Remington brass?

They told that group of us they would never make bottle neck brass.............
Old 01-22-2019, 12:25 PM
Supporting Member

At ~1.800" in length to begin with, the Star Line straight wall 223 cases have potential for forming into 17 Rem. Lots of annealing and case forming to get there however, but you'll have more than enough length to trim by the time it is necked down,etc.

Definitely an option for someone who likes to tinker and who has lots of idle time on cold winter days.

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:02 PM

I see Winchester has introduced a "new" 350 cartridge. I am going to guess a 223/556 basic case, which is about like a 357 maximum rimless.
I saw one built on an XP in the 80's that was a 35 and another was a 338.
About as new as store bought bread.

Wow, maybe I am just getting old when I see nothing really new,lol.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:19 PM

Nothing really new unless you can shoot it out of an ar. Kinda sad. I enjoy my ar, but there is a bigger world out there
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 01-23-2019, 07:01 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
Nothing really new unless you can shoot it out of an ar. Kinda sad. I enjoy my ar, but there is a bigger world out there
Oh boy am I confused, I have an AR15 upper chambered in 17 Remington. Am I on the cutting edge or do I own a dinosaur?

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Last edited by RareBear; 01-23-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:01 PM

Default 17 Remington is dead

[quote=RareBear;277864]Oh boy am I confused, I have an AR15 upper chambered in 17 Remington. Am I on the cutting edge or do I own a dinosaur?

Rarebear: Enjoy it. it is a fine cartridge and will serve you well. Don't let some talk you into something that does not hold water. Bill K
Old 01-23-2019, 07:05 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBear View Post
Oh boy am I confused, I have an AR15 upper chambered in 17 Remington. Am I on the cutting edge or do I own a dinosaur?

You are main stream........... AR's are a fun weapon, even in the small calibers.

-BCB