Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-31-2019, 10:03 PM
Supporting Member

Default My wife asked me to post this here

Because she is tired of listening to me muse about it. I am considering putting together a suppressed, fast twisted .204 Ruger for PD hunting. I have 2 rimfire suppressors, and 6.5mm, but no .22 centerfire suppressor.
I'm thinking I'd get the suppressor first, since I won't get it for almost a year, and then the gun. Obviously, I need the barrel to be threaded, and I'd like to be able to shoot 40gr bullets if I need to. I don't want a bench weight gun as I won't always have access to a bench.
Comments on the idea, which suppressor, which gun or both welcomed.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:15 PM
Supporting Member

Default silverfox posts

Might review the silverfox hunt threads, I believe most of his rifles are suppressed and he walks around a bit. He also discusses his rifles.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:37 PM
Supporting Member

I urge you to get the process started for purchasing a suppressor, but REMEMBER, you don't need to purchase another suppressor because you can use your 6.5mm suppressor on any caliber rifle of 6.5mm size and smaller. I use my .223/5.56 suppressors on my .22-250, .204 Rugers, .17 Tactical, .17 Remingtons, and my 17 VarTarg.
Good luck with this project.

By the way, most of my rifles, with the suppressor attached, weigh in the 13.5 pound to 15.5 pound range. I'm an old, feeble, scrawny Norwegian with a bad back and have no problem carrying these weapons around prairie dog towns.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-31-2019, 11:05 PM

I'm all for buying new stuff and generally look for excuses to do so, but as Silverfox mentioned, you can easily use your 6.5 can on anything and everything 6.5 and under. You'll be giving up a little in the way of sound reduction but if you have a decent 6.5 suppressor it should still be hearing safe levels.

I just recently sold my CZ 527 Varmint 204 to a friend of mine, I ran it suppressed with my TBAC 223P-2 and it was crazy quiet. My 6.5 can is a SAS Barricade, I don't recall if I ever used it on my 204 or not, but I use it on my 22-250 w/18in barrel and it's very quiet, easily hearing safe, on that gun.

If you're just looking for a reason or maybe a friendly nudge to get another suppressor, well, I'll be happy to push, shove, or drag you all the way to your Class III dealer so you can purchase your new TBAC 223 Ultra 7 suppressor.

And for what it's worth, I was very happy with my CZ 527 Varmint 204. It shot factory ammo exceptionally well and was a really nice little gun. I only sold it because it was just to nice and shot to well to let sit in the back row of my safe and hardly ever see light. The guy I sold it to has been very happy with it and he's popped a coyote with it on both outings he's taken it on. If I'm ever in the market for another 204, I would happily take another CZ just like I had.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatera View Post
Because she is tired of listening to me muse about it. I am considering putting together a suppressed, fast twisted .204 Ruger for PD hunting.
Your 6.5 can will work pretty well. People often use 30 cal cans on 22 stuff. I don't know the twist on the howa 204's but I think the heavy barrel version of their mini comes threaded. I'm pretty happy with my howa mini's, especially for the price. So 'yes' you should do it.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:18 AM
Supporting Member

After happening on some of Silverfoxes posts I kind of thought that too. Why not just use my 6.5 can which is an SAS Barricade? It does not have changeable end caps. but I have nothing to lose by trying what I have. As far as factory threaded rifles, all I’m seeing is the Howa and the Ruger American Rifle Predator model.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:44 AM

I have an 8 twist 204 with a 17.5” barrel that is suppressed.

I run the 55 Berger’s in there and it’s a great coyote setup for 350 yards and in.

Very fun to shoot and very handy to carry.

I would think for a prairie dog rifle it would be a blast to use for moving about.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:03 PM

I too am in the process of deciding on a suppressor for an upcoming .20 caliber build. You might want to at least decide on which suppressor you will use before starting on the rifle, especially if you plan on the direct thread attachment method because you will need to know what to have the barrel threaded for. Most, if not all, 556 cans come threaded 1/2-28 whereas most larger caliber cans typically come threaded 5/8-24, although there are often more attachment options with the larger cans.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:46 PM

Right or wrong, I went with Silencerco Omega 30 caliber suppressors. I have 22 caliber ends that I can substitute for anything 22 caliber or smaller. It operates on the 5/8th X 24 instead of the 1/2 X 28 and there are adapters for the 1/2 X 28 barrels.

Need to spend some time (and money) threading barrels, but I haven't gotten that far yet and prairie dog season will be here before we know it.

I think that the 6.5 will work just fine.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:31 PM
Supporting Member

My CZ .204 is an American. I can pac nor it which would be super accurate, just buy a factory threaded rifle (Howa or Ruger American Predator), but I would have to accept their barrel length & twist rate, and accuracy will be a crap shoot. I can also buy a factory rifle of any length and have it cut/threaded for about $175. I still need to pick a length/twist.