Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-02-2019, 06:26 PM

Default Secret Sage...........

I went out a few days ago for a walk about in "chuck country."
Heavily doused in Deet............(I HATE ticks), I made the 2 mile hike in to some secret sage country.
It was the last day of spring bear season here in Oregon and instead of opting to look for smokey, I had a different kinda furry critter on my mind. I haven't been out for a few weeks to varmint shoot, so this trip was much needed.

I setup on a single rock pile 450 yards away and watched as over a dozen chucks scurried around. Dialed in 6.5 MOA to compensate drop and lazered the first chuck at 457 yards. Through the 14x Meopta, the vapor trail of the bullet lead to a solid hit......first chuck down.
I shot a few more, 4 off that pile to be exact from 450 to 465 yards. Missed a few shots due to a slight right/left wind that was difficult to compensate for due to it's inconsistent nature.

It was good to see so many chucks and I barely scratched the surface as the rims all around me were heavily laden with them. I walked away after shooting a total of 7 for the day. Needless to say, "I'll be back" on a day not so threatening with thundershowers and increasing winds.

The Kimber longmaster classic 223 and Fiocchi 40gr V max factory loads are a combo capable of much accuracy and destruction. The Meopta Meopro HTR 4.5-14x44 tracks precise and optical clarity is astounding. All in all, it was a great day to get out for a few hours.

Not much damage at 450 yards obviously, the bullets just went in and blew up inside, not damaging the hides.

This last pic is from 207 yards and the chuck was face directly away from me. Shot him in the middle back and it came out his belly, really tearing him up.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:40 PM

Looking good and like a fine day out. Thanks for sharing. Bill K
Old 06-02-2019, 07:12 PM

I have never seen one in Nebraska. I am not saying there are none but never where I have been. It would be fun to find some.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I have never seen one in Nebraska. I am not saying there are none but never where I have been. It would be fun to find some.
Have you check with your state Fish and game or someone like BLM and see if they know of any ?
Old 06-02-2019, 09:34 PM

I never have. It's probable that they are just not around where I have been. I just picked up what might be a perfect varmint gun for chucks and it would be fun to see if it has the knockdown power to kill one.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:01 AM

And the rest of the story IS?? Caliber, rifle ?
Old 06-03-2019, 01:36 AM
Supporting Member

Bill K--read the 4th paragraph in the OP's first post for the answers.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-03-2019, 04:05 AM

LeRoy I saw what screaminweasle was shooting, but I wanted to know what Moorepower's rifle he picked up was. Maybe I confused, with my question or missed the point. Bill K
Old 06-03-2019, 10:21 AM

Default Thanks for sharing your hunt SW...

As always love to see and hear about your excursions out and about with your beautiful rifles.Great pictures too,the 223 is not too shabby up close
Am also curious about the perfect caliber Moorepower
Matt
Old 06-03-2019, 02:19 PM

Sorry guys It's kind of a small bore. .257 Weatherby. 85 grain Ballistic tip at about 3750. The #2 barrel "might" heat up in a dogtown, but probably would be ok for chucks. It has a B&C carbon lite speckled stock an fluted barrel to keep it running cool