Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-29-2019, 11:48 AM

Default CZ 527 Laminate Varmint .223

Not rare at all but simply a very good deal in my opinion, I'd been at the LGS showing a friend a very nice Kimber SA they had and had seen this rifle there for a few days. Went back three days later and it was still there and a bit of dickering had me walking out with the rifle, mounted with an inexpensive Vortex Diamondback 4-12x scope (soon to be gone), and 2 extra magazines for $529 plus tax. I've owned and still own CZ 527 Varmints but this is my first Laminate, it won't be a walking around varminter but should be pretty accurate as have been all my CZ 527's. It's a 2012 model so I'm guessing it will be the more recent 1:9 twist which is fine, I have an American with the 1:12 twist which is very accurate with Fiocchi 40 gr. Vmaxes so something that shoots 55-75 gr. load accurately would be nice.

Looks to be un or very slightly used.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:23 PM

Looks good and I would say you got a very good deal on that one. Enjoy. Bill K
Old 07-29-2019, 02:14 PM
Supporting Member

Looks like you done good.

Tom
Old 07-29-2019, 08:30 PM
Supporting Member

Howdy Gerald, I had one of those. I don't know if there were various runs of those but mine had some great stuff as well as some oddities to deal with. After I figured a few things out I really liked it. Mine was one of the first of those and I bought it because my Remington Varmint synthetic .223 had recently become a .20 Tactical .
I found it at the gun store in Ennis Montana I drive to cause the owner over there is great to deal with. I took it off the shelf and the first thing I noticed was that it had an extremely short trigger pull. I mentioned it to the owner who put it to his shoulder who said, "Hmm, it sure does". He reached over and grabbed a Pachmayr 1 inch pad and said, "There, it's fixed". Allan from Georgia who use to post here a lot ended up out here to hunt gophers with about 6 guys and one of them was a CZ rep. He explained that short pull. Short version is CZ USA wanted a Heavy .223 Varmint and stated that to CZ Europe. CZ Europe doesn't trust CZ USA much according to him so CZ Europe took CZ USA's numbers of what they wanted and they ordered the stock. Somewhere in the translation numbers got goofed up and the large run of Laminate stocks showed up with a very short pull. Stock manufacturer tells CZ Europe, "you gave us the numbers we used to build the stock so you own the stocks", short pull and all! I put the Pad on and problem solved.

My next issue. I'd read my barrel was a one in nine twist and planned on shooting heavies, rifle hated em! I went through all the bullets I had and found that mine shot bug-holes with 40 grain V-Max's, shot quite well with 50 grain Sierra Spire-points but over that bullet weight groups got huge. I finally measured my twist and mine was a 1 in 12 twist, I even had a witness but he passed away last year so you'll have to take my word for it , no one wants to believe that but it was indeed a 1 in 12 I'm sure that's why it shot the 40 V-Max's so well. I sploded beaucoups rodents with 40 V-max's and went on with it. Story ends I was on a rat smackage trip with a buddy and his son, his son is kinda diminutive and his boy was hitting everything he aimed at with that rifle so it now has a new owner.
I'd be interested to have you measure the twist cause that was always real curious to me. Also curious if the pull is real short on that one? I wouldn't be surprised if by now they have changed everything and it has a standard pull and 1 in 9 twist. I got mine many years back. Good buy on that one!
That's my story and I'm stick'n to it . Let us know how that works out for ya.
Congrats on the new toy by the way !
Old 07-30-2019, 12:57 AM

Nice deal there!!
Old 07-30-2019, 04:53 AM

That's a nice gun at very good price. It should be 1:9 twist and the heavier barrel is just right. If you want a flush fitting bottom metal/trigger guard you can buy direct from CZ.

I bought an earlier version of the Varmint in the HS Precision Kevlar stock. I had planned to use for a project build, but I made mistake of taking it to the range. It stacked 55gr Vmax.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 07-30-2019 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:40 AM

Doug I know you're right about the twist on the early ones as I've encountered them myself, but by 2012 it should be 1:9 but as anyone who has dealt with CZ and the old Brno's knows "never say never".

I'll see if I can determine for certain before I shoot it but either way is a good thing for me, I have a 1:12 American that is awesome with Fiocchi 40 gr Vmaxes and have lots of other loads on hand for my AR's so something should work. The American is too pretty to get out too much, this one shouldn't suffer that fate.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:20 PM

You never know what the 1-9 will like. I have a 1-9 Savage 12 and a 1-8 AR that both prefer 40grain Vmax over anything, although the 53 Vmax is showing a lot of promise.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
You never know what the 1-9 will like. I have a 1-9 Savage 12 and a 1-8 AR that both prefer 40grain Vmax over anything, although the 53 Vmax is showing a lot of promise.
Until I started hanging out with you guys on this board, I thought 55gr was light. With the exception of rimfire, the first time I shot anything in the 40gr class was when I bought my first 222. I'm interested in hearing how she runs with the lighter Vmax.

We have a tradition on naming guns we like. So have you come up with a name, yet? If not ask a young kid/grandchild for help and it will get named Smoke or Ash or Grey Crayon...you can never tell if it will be a good name until its too late. My daughter named her walnut stocked rifle,"Willy Wonka" because the color reminded her of Fudge. Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2019, 12:08 AM
Supporting Member

Lovely rifle there Gerald. I was doing a cursory look through my records as opposed to a house destruction drive yourself crazy for three hours search. I believe I got mine in 2004-ish. It sure was a tack driver with those 40 V-Max's.
Keep us posted. How is your length of pull?