Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-31-2019, 03:55 PM

Default 19 Calhoon sizing die

I have started to reload for the 19 calhoon (hornet). I made up some loads and after inspection of a loaded case I realized their isn't much neck tension. I can easily push the bullet further into the case by hand. I measured the expander and it measures 0.1975. Seems like this should be a little smaller. Anyone else experience this?
Old 08-01-2019, 02:33 PM

Call Jim at James Calhoon. He will help you get it solved.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:00 PM

Best to go right to the horse's mouth, call James Calhoon. Bill K
Old 08-01-2019, 04:17 PM

I want sure if maybe ones of the guys on here would have a expander ball they c would measure. Then I would know if my sure was out of spec. Guess I'll give him a call and see what he has to say about it.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:24 PM

I am sure someone like Screaming Weasel who has a new 19 cal and loves it would do so, for you.
However I know Calhoon still would be your fastest way to answer your question and give you his measurements and aid. Bill K
Old 08-04-2019, 01:51 AM

Jim is here drinking a beer.

He says just take off the expander ball. With some brass, the brass in the neck is too thin. Should be fine. If not give him a call next week.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:39 AM

I have a Badger coming from Jim C. I have his 19 Badger die. It measures .1970.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilA. View Post
Jim is here drinking a beer.

He says just take off the expander ball. With some brass, the brass in the neck is too thin. Should be fine. If not give him a call next week.
If the necks are thin then the sizing die won't reduce the diameter of the neck as much and the expander button, whether it's in or out, will have no real affect, won't it???

I know with my 17 Hornady Hornet brass that has thinner necks, I have to go to a smaller diameter bushing or the bullet has zero neck tension and my dies all have the expander button removed.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Supporting Member

If you're using an expander ball with a bushing, the expander ball should run ~0.001" smaller than bullet diameter to get a good bullet grip. Without an expander ball to possibly undo what the proper bushing does, all you need is the proper bushing. I'd chuck the expander ball.

If you feel a need to clean up case necks with an expander ball, do it as a separate step, and then size the case necks accordingly with the proper bushing that gives a good bullet grasp. This is an extra step and hurries up the need to anneal case necks in most cases.

If the necks are thin, then a smaller than normal bushing might be needed to reduce the neck down enough to get the proper tension.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 08-04-2019, 07:29 PM

Well, in case you haven't gotten it sorted...............

My .19 Calhoon Hornet Forester FL sizing die expander ball measures @ .1975"

Virgin 22 hornet R-P case neck outside diameter is .240" on my lot of brass....I checked three cases and it was consistent.

Ran into the .19 Calhoon Forester FL sizing die with expander
outside neck diam= .215"

A case ran into the .19 Calhoon Forester FL sizing die without expander.......outside neck diameter=.209"

I certainly would NOT size the cases without an expander in these particular dies, as they are NOT bushing dies. You would be "stretching" the case mouths while seating bullets and causing undue runout for certain.

What I would do if you are unhappy with your neck tension is this. Carefully chuck your decapping rod into a drill, grab some 600 grit paper and slowly remove material from the expander ball. Obviously, slow going and checking diameter every few seconds. Using very light pressure on the sand paper will ensure you don't take too much off in between measurements. I also would not go below .1965" diameter.
Hope that helps.

Another side note..........I'm not using the Forester FL Die set for anything other than forming virgin R-P cases for initial fireforming.

I have a custom lee Collet Neck sizing die set that I use for loading the formed cases. My formed cases come out of my chamber at .2175" and the lee collet sizing die takes the neck down to .2155". Loaded neck diameter with a .198" diam 32gr Sierra is .216" to .2165" so I've got Very light neck tension. However, the rifle is shooting sub 1/2 MOA and often "one hole" groups with both the 28gr DBHP and 32gr Sierra over AA1680, so I'm not messing with anything.

Fired neck diameter on a "fire formed case" is ........ .2175" in my Gre-Tan chambered Browning A bolt.

As far as pushing a bullet into the case by hand..........not real tough to do with a hornet case, unless it's crimped........FYI.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 08-04-2019 at 07:35 PM.