Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-07-2019, 05:58 PM

Default Too bad CZ doesn't offer the 527 in a single shot from the factory....

I've always disliked the "guppie belly" on CZ 527s. I am down to my last CZ 527, a "special latino run" Varmint in .222 rem.
Anway, I put it in a factory laminate target stock. Used a single shot follower, but still disliked the look and function of a detachable mag that "hangs down". I also think the CZ bottom metal is "ugly", even with a calhoon follower installed.

Some people say...........why does that matter? Doesn't bother me....etc. Well, everyone is different and I prefer to actually use my rifles hunting/packing around, etc. I HATE slings.........I love carrying a well balanced rifle right underneath the action/in front of trigger guard one handed.
Sometimes it pays off to watch gunbroker (like a hawk).
I got this beautiful Bastogne Walnut stock with rosewood caps for $304 shipped. Stock was finished, but bedded with Marine Tex for a CZ 527 American in 17 Hornet according to the builder.

I opened the barrel channel and of course had to re-do the bedding. Should be a shooter(as it was before).

Once the 90's temps leave me, I'll see how crappy my bedding job is

Sometimes all it takes to "fall back in love" with a certain rifle/cartridge is to "mix it up". Often, I'll reload a different bullet just for spice, or try a new scope, etc. This new stock is really going to make me love the little CZ. I can live with the backwards safety and narrow trigger blade.......not perfect, but this stock makes the rifle "perfect enough" to keep.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:01 PM

Old 08-07-2019, 06:04 PM

Prepping here for a Devcon bed job................

One piece of masking tape on bottom,sides, and front of recoil lug to assist in removal...........the back is all that matters anyway.

Clear shoe wax sure makes a good release agent.......

Cleaned up, turned out "good nuff"

I'll bed the rear Tang and trigger guard later as there is a ton of gap between the wood to metal fit.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 08-10-2019 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:09 PM

Used a "High Score" SMALL sako aluminum single shot follower (that I had to hand fit, took several hours with a file).........too bad I don't have an end mill and know how to use one.....haha

I was careful when I got close to the right dimensions. I really just had to make it "skinny" to fit inside the little CZ.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:25 PM

Wow beautiful.

I have been thinking about refinishing my Cz527 due to a small scratch on the stock. I found while compounding out the scratch that CZ uses a tinted clear rather than staining the wood itself which is very light colored wood under the tint. Also not crazy about the mag hanging down but IMO its the best rifle out there for the money.

Yours looks so nice now Goodspeed!
Old 08-07-2019, 06:45 PM

Thank You!
Old 08-07-2019, 06:54 PM

That is a beauty SW.. And with the work over you have done, I bet it will be a sweet shooter. Keep us posted. Bill K
Old 08-07-2019, 07:43 PM

Thanks Bill. I'm excited to shoot a 222 again. I haven't shot this rifle for over a year.

I'll be sure to update how she shoots in her new dress
Old 08-07-2019, 09:07 PM

What did you use for the trigger guard? I hate the CZ one that shows you everytime that you look at it that it is missing the second trigger of the BRNO Fox, the prececessor. I would like the bolt handle to be swept back slightly for looks, and function, maybe utilizing a complete new, and nicer bolt handle, instead of working with the original. I would keep the magazine, unless it interferes with the looks when putting on a better trigger guard.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
What did you use for the trigger guard? I hate the CZ one that shows you everytime that you look at it that it is missing the second trigger of the BRNO Fox, the prececessor. I would like the bolt handle to be swept back slightly for looks, and function, maybe utilizing a complete new, and nicer bolt handle, instead of working with the original. I would keep the magazine, unless it interferes with the looks when putting on a better trigger guard.

I'm not sure where it came from. It came with the stock when I purchased it. It's heavy and seems to be made of cast iron. I had to grind a bit out of the trigger recess for clearance and it was a bear.