Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-18-2019, 12:50 AM

Default Kimber Longmaster Classic 223 "first reloads"

Well, I'm not one to sit on a rifle too long without shooting it. I just received this Kimber Longmaster Classic on Valentine's Day. I "broke it in" with Fiocchi 50gr V max factory loads. It shot some impressive groups. However, being a reloader I just had to see how it shot one of my favorite combos. H335 and a 50gr TNT has been a great load in all of my other 223 rifles. So, I loaded up a few in the once fired "Fiocchi Brass" GFL headstamp. Lee Collet Neck Sized, Rem 7.5 primers, .010" off lands, and a new 1lbs container of H335. I'm glad I have a total of 10 lbs of the same lot # of this H335 because it pairs well with this rifle.

Like most of my rifles, the more I shoot it, the more I like it. However, this little Kimber is something special. Can't wait to get some warmer weather and furry targets to shoot with it.

Targets were all shot at 100 Yards off the bench in 5 mph wind 45degree headwind (wind flags help).
A Balmy 29 degrees even...........

First out the gate was 25.0 gr H335 with a clean/cold/slightly lubed bore..........I sure love "CorrosionX" lube for cleaning/lubing/ and "bore conditioning". Running a saturated patch of "CorrosionX" in the bore and wiping it out with a single patch has been very effective for me to reduce/eliminate any cold bore fliers...........case in point in looking at the first group here.

2nd Group with same load of 25.0gr H335

NOT A BAD START............however, here is why we reload.

Bumping the charge up 1/2 grain to 25.5gr H335 yielded these back to back groups..........would have been a heck of a 6 shot group if you notice the POI is nearly identical.

First Group with 25.5gr H335

2nd Group with 25.5gr H335

Not enough room for pics, so below in a reply is a few more pics of the rifle.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:52 AM

Old 02-18-2019, 01:08 AM
Supporting Member

Darn..!! Another ugly looking Kimber that won't shoot........... The 25.5 grain load looks to have some real promise, Austin.

I wonder what it and you will do in warmer weather when both of you are not shaking from the cold. Nice shooting...!!!

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-18-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
Darn..!! Another ugly looking Kimber that won't shoot........... The 25.5 grain load looks to have some real promise, Austin.

I wonder what it and you will do in warmer weather when both of you are not shaking from the cold. Nice shooting...!!!

-BCB

Thanks Hal. I'll tweak it in warmer weather. Plan to try 25.0gr up to 26.0gr in 3/10 grain increments once I get some 60degree weather. I just had to get a quick session in to 'ease my mind'. Yep, it's a shooter. It's currently soaking with cleaner and will be put up until 'spring finally sprangs' The weather guessers are calling for Sub Zero for the next 7 days. What a crazy winter we had.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:36 PM
Supporting Member

Default Congratulations !

Glad to see it shoots as well as it looks. You’re going to love it this spring when you can put away the paper targets.
I’ve had my Kimber Varminter in 204 for 6-8 years. It’s a death ray when I do my part. Killed a lot of PDFs and hope to kill more.
Happy to see braving the elements was worth it, I’m sure you’re all smiles.

For some reason mine likes a shorter COL, lots of jump to the lands. Just something you may want to try to tighten up those groups!
😂☺️

Enjoy your rifle

Best
Larry
Old 02-18-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Glad to see it shoots as well as it looks. You’re going to love it this spring when you can put away the paper targets.
I’ve had my Kimber Varminter in 204 for 6-8 years. It’s a death ray when I do my part. Killed a lot of PDFs and hope to kill more.
Happy to see braving the elements was worth it, I’m sure you’re all smiles.

For some reason mine likes a shorter COL, lots of jump to the lands. Just something you may want to try to tighten up those groups!
😂☺️

Enjoy your rifle

Best
Larry

Thanks Larry, I appreciate it.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:18 PM

Great shooting from a great-looking rifle. Nice to know that you can have both aesthetics and accuracy in the same package.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Pender View Post
Great shooting from a great-looking rifle. Nice to know that you can have both aesthetics and accuracy in the same package.

Thanks a bunch. I'm quite pleased. Kimber got it right with this one.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:29 PM

FWIW, I would try Benchmark (about 26.5 is a sweet spot) Not much room for improvement, but who knows... As always, start low.

Got yourself a pretty one there!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
FWIW, I would try Benchmark (about 26.5 is a sweet spot) Not much room for improvement, but who knows... As always, start low.

Got yourself a pretty one there!

Thanks a bunch. I tried benchmark when it first came out (can't even remember what rifle i tried it in, but have a partial lbs in the cabinet).
I'm sitting on 10lbs of the same lot of this H335, so I'm thinking i'll make due. I'm excited to see how this rifle shoots 40gr Nosler Varmageddon Tipped bullets, that is one accurate projectile in everything i've tried them in.

25.5-26.0gr of H335 with a 50-52gr bullet has been phenomenal in every 223 i've tried it in. That would be 8 different rifles as of yet.
Lots of options though and thanks for the benchmark suggestion, I know that plenty of other guys like that powder as well.