Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2011, 03:16 AM
Supporting Member

curious what cleaning up you did. primer pockets, case thickness or the ugly appearance
Old 05-10-2011, 11:36 AM

Default have you tried cherios?

you know...trail boss? you would get much slower speeds and not lead your barrel up...I use it a good put to make my 22 hornet into a 22 rifle...45 gr lead bullet at 1400fps is fun. You could get up to around 2000fps with no problem in a 204...would be fun and cheap...have had good accuracy out of my hornet and several other calibers....
k
Old 05-10-2011, 12:35 PM

Default Machine marks....

The brass that I got from Schroeder was covered in machine marks. The .22 Hornet brass is tapered, the 5mm isn't. The base of the hornet brass is a larger diameter than 5mm. Once he swages the neck and top half of the case, the base swells just above the thickest part of the base where the primer pocket is. He then loads the case in a lathe and turns the base down to the correct thickness, machines the outer diameter of the rim, and also thins the rim down from the case side.

The brass went through the sizer fine and loaded into my chamber perfectly. But once fired, I almost had to take a hammer to my bolt to get it open. The machine marks were large grooves half way down the case running around the case. Once it got a little expansion, these grooves were like teeth locking the case in my chamber.

I fashioned a stand for my dremmel. I machined the mandrel screw down to fit in the primer pocket and fashioned a tapered plug to fit. I could then put a case on the mandrel, lock it down with the modified screw and used 600 grit sand paper to carefully remove the machine marks. Then I did a final once over with 1000 grit followed by 0000 steel wool.

I tried a batch of them last week and they are extracting fine now. I did cut one of the cases in half length-wise to measure the thickness of the brass where he was machining and made sure I wasn't thinning the brass down to much. I wanted to make sure I left a safety margin for sure. I'm not taking a lot of brass off, more just knocking down the sharp edges left by his lathe.

Next thing to do was to drop each round in to my new Lyman case trimmer and cut them all to the correct length.

In other words, Steve's bolt heads and extractors are awesome but his quality control on his brass leaves a lot to be desired! But at $60 for 100 rds vs $95 for 100 rds at Eagle View and the fact he's semi-local to me, I guess will live with it since I found a way to make it work. BTW, he also makes 2 5mm bullets, a FMJ and a lead tip that will work with the right ogive and dimensions to still fit in the magazine. I'm working on accuracy issues right now with my new stock and once I have that worked out, I will revisit his bullets and report on them.

--Tony
Old 05-10-2011, 12:37 PM

Harpo111,

What is Cherios Trail Boss? Is that a lube?

--Tony
Old 05-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBray View Post
Harpo111,

What is Cherios Trail Boss? Is that a lube?

--Tony
Trail Boss gun powder. It looks like Cheerios cereal.

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
That seems to be the problem with cast .204 bullets. I don't know of anyone making moulds, sizer / lubricator dies or gas checks. I guess I should check the bullet casting forums if I really want to pursue this.

Gary

i know a gentleman over on CB that can make you custom sizing dies for your lubrisizer if needed.

ML
Old 05-10-2011, 02:01 PM

Default What's a lubrisizer?

I have a Lee sizer for my .45 air rifle that works well. I don't size my .38's and pan lube them for my pistol. I don't know how you would lube the 5mm's since they don't have a very pronounced lube groove. That's why I was dipping them in the thinned Alox. I could still use a sizer in .2045 though

--Tony
Old 05-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Supporting Member

Wow, sorry to hear about your issues!!! Not to make you feel bad but I honestly have well over 1500 of pieces of Schroeder brass in the 17 CCM and 5mm Mag combined. I also use his 17 CCM brass in a 17 short Magnum (its a CF 17 HM2) and not once do I remember a case sticking in any of the four chambers…. Butt ugly… Oh yeah…. but has functioned flawlessly for me. My heart go out to you, a lot of x-work!

Not a real good pic but a 17 CCM and a 5mm Mag with the nasty m-marks
Old 05-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Default Nice...

Your brass looks way better than what I got. I'm thinking he either has an apprentice cranking these out now or maybe his old Harbor Freight mini-lathe is getting some runout on it. I have some brass that is so bad it has ridges right up to the shoulder! I will post a pic of some of the brass when I can.

--Tony

P.S. That Corvette is only barely visible in his garage these days and the engine is still on the stand lol!

Last edited by TonyBray; 05-10-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:10 AM

Default powder...trail boss.

Trail Boss is a neat powder. IMR has the formula for loading it posted on their website...measure to seated bullet base...multiply by .7..that is your starting load....simple enough and it works the same for jacketed or cast bullets. Have tried it in several guns and it works. Guys are using it in the 17AH...sweet!
k