Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-06-2013, 03:03 AM

Here is what our club did, a 900 member gunclub in NE PA with a range that includes 25,50, 100, and 200 yd backstops. As Rangemaster, I had had enough of people shooting the posts and wood cross members. Also holes in the roof above the benches (i.e opps, I thought the gun was empty). We had people from NJ set up tents on week-ends and do their run, roll, and shoot like those reality shows. I simply tightened up the range rules.....most important was No Rapid Fire...single shot only- one cartridge in the rifle at a time. Also, all shooting must be done from the benches. (We used to get people shooting across the driveway and parking lot in order to do longer shots) About the same time 6 surveillence cameras were added around the club, including one in the rafters of the shooting bench pavilion. No more problems, a few semi-auto shooters dropped out, BUT SAFETY is PRIORITY #1. If some auto shooter would have stepped-up and volunteered to help with the added range maintenance, the club officers would have allowed it to continue.....but none were to be found....they didn't even come to meetings.
Apparently, shooting an AR or UZI single shot takes the fun away for some.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:52 PM

Glad to see your posts & learn that I'm not a grouchy old man after all! I shoot TC Contender handguns & CZ .22 LR rifles bench rest at a small
(8 bench) forest service range in W.VA. and always try for the left hand bench plus I avoid the range on weekends for all the reasons put forth. To make this range even worse, in addition to rude individuals showering others with hot brass, etc, we have idiots dragging old computers, TV's, stoves, etc, up to the range & blasting holes in them, Then leaving them on the range for others to clean up. The Forest Service shut the range down for two weeks several years ago because of these idiots & said that if it occured again the range would be shut down permanately. Unfortunately, at a range like this, there is no "Range Master" so one has to be self policing. I usually hit this range early on Monday's or Tuesdays & spend my first hour cleaning up after the weekend idiots. It really is no wonder that the non-shooting public has the impression that folks who love firearms & shooting sports are a bunch of right wing red neck freaks out of touch with reality. Don't know what the answer is but many of these guys shooting Mil/AK/AR type weapons are helping to support the "Gun Control" lefties with their behaviour.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:06 AM

Default It Is Getting Worse, All The Time...

Sometimes you just have to bear up and do what you can. I have been through the muzzle break situation. What a blast. The worst semi-auto, though was annoying, but at least I got a smile out of it. The guy was shooting a brand new 7mm Remington Magnum BAR. He went through two boxes of ammo unbelievably fast, ran into the gun store came out with two more boxes and shot them as fast as he could. The barrel and forearm were pouring off smoke. He laid the rifle down into his foam lined carrying case and proceeded to shoot something else. I watched as the barrel slowly sank into the foam. I had to tell him. He quickly picked it up as strings of the foam followed the barrel as he lifted it. He even burned his fingers as he tried to removed the melted foam. At least I felt he got what he deserved. The last time I went, it was a very active day, but one elderly man shooting lever action with open sites was a real problem. He would fire a shot, then call for clearance to go see where he hit. He would come back they would call clear he would quickly shoot, and be ready to go down again. After four or five shots, I had enough, and I started watching his shots through my scope and telling him where he hit. It paid off. He finished shooting in about ten minutes, satisfied he left. Several people thanked me...
Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Overall, I really enjoy my local range. I like to be around other firearms folks and enjoy meeting, learning from, and talking to them-and sharing any knowledge I may have. It is also important to me (especially now) to support responsible and fun firearms use in my community.

I do think it is important to nicely communicate with others if they are doing something annoying, as almost always they will correct it and simply need more experienced folks to share their knowledge - most will appreciate it !

--although not all....

It is easy to be a prick and alienate newbies, I choose not to, and try to give them reasons to return- a lot of guys and gals at my range do also.

Maybe muzzle brakes are simply not appropriate and should not be allowed at your range, my range doesn't allow rapid fire and i don't miss it.

Last edited by NeilA.; 03-09-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
One thing is clear, those of us fortunate enough to have our own ranges, should be VERY thankful. Nothing fancy, bench and 100, 200 and 300 yard targets.
i thank my lucky stars i have the family farm to shoot at everytime i read about public range shooting.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:45 PM

Default Range rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral View Post
i thank my lucky stars i have the family farm to shoot at everytime i read about public range shooting.
I think and thank myself also, for being able to roam these woods, shoot and have it to myself.. I tried the newer range (years ago we had a very nice and repectiful range with good people, which is long gone) and a couple trips ruined me of joining again(the new club). Bill K

Tags
etiquette, manners, range