Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 01-18-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Green Bullets?

Issue 61 of "The Varmint Hunter" has an article by LP Brezny on .224 calibre 70gr bullets with tungsten powder as the bullet core. He was shooting feral hogs with a .223 Rem. The results to me appear somewhat inconclusive. One hog ran off after being apparently well hit, the other dropped like a sack of **** and a third dropped after 25yds. No tests on coyotes unfortunately and given that tungsten supplies are limited in the long term there was not much information on pricing.
Personally I think if I were shooting wild boar or feral hogs I would want more than a .223 with a 70gr bullet. However it is an interesting development.
the company web site is www.hevishot.com
Old 01-18-2007, 11:15 PM

LT17:

HeviShot is awfully proud of that bullet. MSRP is about $38.00 USD on the "Dead Coyote" 70 grainers...

The price on the Barnes "Varmint Grenade" will be less than HALF that number.

I have a 40X 222 that shoots tight groups with any decent bullet. The website you posted shows some good groups with the dead coyote, but performance across different platforms remains to be seen.

I have seen the performance from the Barnes bullet. The last batch I shot through an AR, with a 1:8 L-W polygonal barrel. Sub MOA with 10 shots fired from the magazine.

I do agree that feral hogs are not a great test. I have shot hogs with a swift, and the results were similar.

BTW, I do not work for Barnes - I just happened to be in the right place at the right (wrong?) time.

B.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:39 PM

I suppose if push came to shove and lead core were outlawed, the price of solids like the Barnes Triple Shocks would come down. Curently, they're the smae as Nosler Partitions here, so I shoot the T.S. Barnes bullets. I'd rather support Randy than those ignoramuses at Nosler.
: Unfortuneately, it may be some time before these 'special' bullets arrive in .172".
Old 03-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Supporting Member

Invest in Barnes Bullets if this lead free thing gains momentum...........

I was just checking out the Barnes site fror a 35 Whelen I'm building and it seems most of their offerings are lead free...........

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com