Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-12-2014, 03:40 PM

S.R. if you have 4 thumbs like me go for the Cooper . From some of the Posts , there are some really gifted amateur builders on this Site . If you are one , then the choice could go either way.... IF you can do some of the work yourself . Another thing to consider is the lead time , which is pretty long for most of the top Gunsmiths .
Old 05-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Supporting Member

Well, if money was no object and I didn't mind the wait, I'd build one. I'm working with a couple of 20VT's that just came back from GreTan and they are real shooters.

On the other hand, I had a Cooper Classic 223 that I sent back to Cooper last summer and had re-barreled with a stainless 20 TAC. When I got the rifle back, there was a one-hole test target that was the best of any of the 5 Coopers I have owned. I never pay much attention to the test targets (shot at 10 feet or something like that) but after I formed all my Lapua 223 cases to 20 TAC, including a neck clean up which they didn't need, I shot several groups that were extraordinary for a Classic stock. Here's the best (5 shots), there were several more that were pretty close to this while load testing:
Old 05-12-2014, 06:19 PM

thank you everyone for all the input keep it coming…I'm still not set on what to do. how hard is it to assembly a rifle your self and what all is required?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:37 PM

Default 20 Tac in Cooper or Cusom

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetoshoot View Post
thank you everyone for all the input keep it coming…I'm still not set on what to do. how hard is it to assembly a rifle your self and what all is required?
A good machinist can do it with work, not hard work as that is their profession. But for a individual you need some specialized equipment and skill, that is where it becomes involved and costly for the home gunsmith.
I still say go with the Cooper. Bill K
Old 05-12-2014, 07:19 PM

COOPER!!!! I really doubt if there are a whole lot of custom builders out there who would be able to outdo the Model 21's consistently unless they were building full blown BR type rifles and even then I'd have to see the results!! for the money, fit, feel, and ACCURACY, getting that kind of quality for $1700-1900 is a challenge! My personal Model MTV21 in 20 Tactical is a legitimate 1/4" rifle with several groups in the .1's!! With witnesses and other shooters! There are a couple listed at The Heritage Guild but I cannot remember which place whether it was GB or GunsA! If you call ask for Chris and tell him Charlie from VA sent you. They had about 80 Coopers in three different store locations and had centralized them all and were giving good deals and such a couple months ago.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:41 PM

For sure, if you are not in a position to do the work yourself, Cooper is the way to go. Especially if re-sale value is a consideration.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy Taylor View Post
Well, if money was no object and I didn't mind the wait, I'd build one. I'm working with a couple of 20VT's that just came back from GreTan and they are real shooters.

On the other hand, I had a Cooper Classic 223 that I sent back to Cooper last summer and had re-barreled with a stainless 20 TAC. When I got the rifle back, there was a one-hole test target that was the best of any of the 5 Coopers I have owned. I never pay much attention to the test targets (shot at 10 feet or something like that) but after I formed all my Lapua 223 cases to 20 TAC, including a neck clean up which they didn't need, I shot several groups that were extraordinary for a Classic stock. Here's the best (5 shots), there were several more that were pretty close to this while load testing:

I'm not sure how my old beater doner would have done with Lapua brass or a nice calm day. But this is just Lake City brass on a somewhat nasty rainy, snowy and hailing day. .184 @ 4184 fps. I sure wish I could own one of those coopers but I saved myself around $600 + on this poor boy.

Last edited by Oleman; 05-12-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Devastation View Post
COOPER!!!! I really doubt if there are a whole lot of custom builders out there who would be able to outdo the Model 21's consistently unless they were building full blown BR type rifles and even then I'd have to see the results!! for the money, fit, feel, and ACCURACY, getting that kind of quality for $1700-1900 is a challenge! My personal Model MTV21 in 20 Tactical is a legitimate 1/4" rifle with several groups in the .1's!! With witnesses and other shooters! There are a couple listed at The Heritage Guild but I cannot remember which place whether it was GB or GunsA! If you call ask for Chris and tell him Charlie from VA sent you. They had about 80 Coopers in three different store locations and had centralized them all and were giving good deals and such a couple months ago.
Call the Heritage Guild and ask for Joe. 732-382-4066. This is my local gun store for Coopers. They have a lot in stock. Not sure about TAC20 though. Last time I was there they had a few 20VT's though. I got my Cooper Phoenix in 20TAC from Joe. Waited about 6 months to get. Green with black spatter stock. This was about 5 years ago.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Devastation View Post
I have shot GHD's Cooper 20 Tach and it is as he says... and as accurate as my Cooper20VT.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy Taylor View Post

Great target and great shooting rifle.

Just to clarify the test target distance - All Cooper shot in the last year of so (since they moved to their new facility) have been shot at a true 50 yds in their test tunnel, they use a 36X Leupold scope and the rifles are shot off of sandbag rests. In the old facility the test tunnel was a bit less than 50 yds.

For those who wonder if this is hearsay - I have been in both test tunnels, the old and new one.

drover

p.s. - go for the Cooper, better chance of getting one in a timely manner, accuracy guarantee, they hold they value - what's not to like about that.

Last edited by drover; 05-12-2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: clarification

Tags
.20 tactical, cooper, stiller action