Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-12-2014, 08:51 PM

Default 20 Tact in Cooper

I always heard and was told, old facility 43 yards. and now the new one does a 50 yard target.. If you have seen and been to both, then I would guess you have direct information. Bill K
Old 05-12-2014, 09:43 PM

For me, the distance they are shooting those test targets at is irrelevant. What has meaning is the accuracy guarantee. Granted, a full-blown custom rifle from a top-notch gunsmith will almost certainly shoot as well or better. The difference being time and money. That being said, once I am set up to build my own, I will. Mainly just to satisfy a desire.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I always heard and was told, old facility 43 yards. and now the new one does a 50 yard target.. If you have seen and been to both, then I would guess you have direct information. Bill K
Actually the old one was a bit less than 43 yds. I never measured it or paced it off but it was fairly evident that it was to a bit of the short side of 43 yds whereas the new one is a true 50 yds.

drover
Old 05-13-2014, 03:18 AM

I had the option to buy a full custom BR quality 20VT for $3,000 or a Cooper VT for $2,100. I decided to buy the Cooper and have no regrets. However I will say I do not like the hard bolt lift of the Cooper three lug bolt.

At the last minute I decided to save the money over the custom because I was not convinced the 20VT was the holy grail of calibers. I'm now convinced it is and will be spending the money on a full custom.

I would say you can't go wrong but if I was to do it again I would have spent the extra money and bought the custom rifle.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410gauge View Post
My two cents worth. I've had several Cooper 21's, and they all have been great. For the money they are hard to beat...but the Stiller Predator V RBLP is a dream as far as I'm concerned! My current 20VT I built using the Predator V action as the start. It is the best 20VT rig I've had so far. I bought the action new, but shopped the rest of the parts very hard. Ended up with $2250 total in the build. To me...well worth the extra expense. 410gauge

How does the little fireball case feed in the Predator action. Any issues with feeding or ejecting the spent cases?

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 05-13-2014, 06:05 AM

lots of very good info guys thank you…i think with the info given I'm going to have to go with the cooper. if things were different and i had skill and experience with assembling rifles and gunsmithing it would be the opposite for obvious reasons. i am really wanting to take advantage of doing my own gun smithing but need a mentor I'm a perfectionist by heart and always do a great job whatever I'm doing…i just need to get some experience before trying on an expensive custom job. thanks again everyone
Old 05-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Kiwi, you can build rifles so resonably.
Several of those actions are defective, with the bolt handle on the wrong side !!

Actually, lot of nice project potential there. Fun Fun
Larry

Larry the potential is from left to right, Stiller Predators 257 Roberts AI, 20 Tactical, BAT SV 22 BR, Cooper 21 20 Vartarg, Ruger #1 22 Rem Mag International

Still haven't got them all finished work and other things get in the way, and other projects come along......Kiwi
Old 05-14-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410gauge View Post
Ryan,

All of my rifles are single shot. The Stiller I have is the Predator V RBLP...a single shot. It feeds smooth as butter and brings the fired case out smoothly, but does not eject away from the action (which I like). Loading on the left side of the action is extremely nice in the field while acquiring targets...very fast. I have decided to go entirely with RBLP actions because of this feature, except for my 20 Mink...haven't found a RBLP action for the Hornet bolt face. Hope this helps. 410gauge
Thanks, it does. I have a 221 fireball on a sako 461 action. I think I'll stick with that route, I know if feeds and ejects well. I'm always tempted by the R 700 and clones because of all the parts available and the ease of obtaining barrels. I'd be bummed if I spent all the money and it didn't feed or eject well.

Ryan

Tags
.20 tactical, cooper, stiller action