Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 11-12-2015, 01:41 AM

Even very mild loads with the 6-1/2 primers leaked, but then they did go into the pockets very easily. In any case, I did manage to find a good load with the BR-4 primers, so I will see if they still don't leak after a few firings. If they leak, I will be forming 22 hormet brass into 17 hornet as well.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:22 AM

Not to complicate issues, but loads that have slow pressure rise times can have leaks at the primer and bad sooting of the cases, it could be an issue for you. A hotter but still soft Remington 7 1/2 primer may solve the problem for you. Larry
Old 11-13-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
Not to complicate issues, but loads that have slow pressure rise times can have leaks at the primer and bad sooting of the cases, it could be an issue for you. A hotter but still soft Remington 7 1/2 primer may solve the problem for you. Larry
So why is this not an issue for people using the same loads in other brass,formed from 22 hornet brass?
Old 11-13-2015, 06:15 PM

variable's.

Maybe your using Winchester brass and Remington primers where someone else might be using Privi Partizan brass and federal primers so on etc....
Old 11-13-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
I loaded up some 17 Hornet loads for my new Ruger, using rem 6-1/2 primers. After test firing, I discovered that gas had leaked by some of the primers even though the loads were mild. I miked up an assortment of primers, and the BR-4 primers seemed a little larger, so I tried them, and no more leakage. I had used 6-1/2 primers from this lot in my 22 Hornet, with no issues at all, and they work fine in 22 Hornet brass that has been formed to 17 Hornet. Has anyone else run into this issue?
Rereading your first post it suggests your reforming Hornady 22 hornet brass down to 17 hornady hornet if I'm understanding you correctly? So are you using Hornady 22 hornet brass and resizing it to 17 HH and getting the said "leaky primer pocket"?

The topic title suggests your having issues with factory 17 HH brass and leaky primer pockets.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to x32030
Default .17 hornet brass

Im using the Rem 7.5 and WSR with no problems, 9.9 gr. of Lil Gun. Or try some new Hornady brass. There's my.02 worth, hope it helps. Dave
Old 11-14-2015, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
variable's.

Maybe your using Winchester brass and Remington primers where someone else might be using Privi Partizan brass and federal primers so on etc....
I am using brand new Hornady 17hornet brass.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:17 AM

You need to call Hornady and ship that brass back for exchange. Give them the lot#, you might not be the only one. I had the same issue with the first run brass, they traded it out for me.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:58 PM

I have already contacted Hornady, and they have been provided with the lot number. Now it's wait and see if they intend to do anything about it.

Tags
d leaked by