Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-28-2014, 04:12 AM

My understanding is there can be a issue with heating and twisting of the rib? I have read numerous times that one of the accurizing tricks to the Ruger no. 1 is to either split the rib or get separate bases and to allow more space between the back mount and the receiver as well.

Greg
Old 02-28-2014, 12:25 PM

Yes this is true ,however it is not always a problem . I have worked with a fair number of #1 s . and the rib issue is a lot less of a problem than is the fit and bedding of the forearm . What caliber are you using ? Have you used the firearm as is ?

If you do remove the rib the guide pins can be a bit of a bugger to pull out .
I have removed the ribs and relieved the back of the rib so it does not touch the receiver .
My most favorite rifle I ever , was a Ruger # 1 I rebarreled with a Shilen barrel in 17 REM .
I have noted over the years that one usually gets more velocity out of #1s . Two thoughts I have is that sometimes the barrels are longer on # 1 ,not always though, and that the cartridge case is enclosed more by the chamber as compared to a bolt action .?? I have seen some # 1 s that really do shoot . I love the action style for varminting off a bench .
Good luck with your rifle .
Chris

Last edited by chris allen; 02-28-2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-28-2014, 01:13 PM

Chris,

I love the number 1 as well but they don't like me. This is another 1S in 218 Bee I picked up. I really wan this one to work and I don't think I will see any heat issues with this cartridge but I want everything stacked in my favor.

PM me your phone number so I can call you.

Greg
Old 02-28-2014, 08:46 PM

Default ruger no 1 bases

Brownells use to carry "Mould" two pice bases that would replace the rib and have multiple weaver slots.

They were / are a bit pricey, but work well. If you Google "ruger no1 scope base" and view the reulting images......pretty sure you can find them.

Hope that helps