Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 AM

Default Need 100g Semi points for youngster .243 dia

My nephew inherited a Remington 244 in a model 7400. It came to him with a cut off stock and a 1.5-4x Texan Micro Trac Weaver on it. I shot my a load that I shot for years in my 6 Rems and the gun grouped well.

Problem: these rifles had 1-12 twists and will not stabilize any 100g BTSP Bullets, or flat base spt bullets. Several bullets will stabilize in this 1-12 twist barrel, 100g Hornady RN, 100g Sierra Semi point, and 100g Herter. All of these bullets have been long out of production.

I am looking for an alternative, but in the mean time I am asking for help in this matter. If the gun did not group 1 1/2" with little help using the old 1.5-4, I would not bother.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 PM

I have a partial box of 47 total bullets. They are 100 grain .243 horn addy round nose. I have no idea what they are worth. I bought them as part of a lot of several boxes and will never use them. Make an offer.

Mike
Old 01-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Don't be afraid to look at other bullets.

Hornady 87gr flat base is still manufactured with an interlock ring (according to their staff). They do not list it that way in their literature.

Also, 85gr sierra HPBT is an awesome deer bullet. We have shot it for years in 243's with fantastic results.

Nosler 85gr partition is a great bullet also.

Shot placement is always the key, regardless of bullet choice.

Focus on marksmanship and bullet placement.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tds_felix View Post
Don't be afraid to look at other bullets.

Hornady 87gr flat base is still manufactured with an interlock ring (according to their staff). They do not list it that way in their literature.

Also, 85gr sierra HPBT is an awesome deer bullet. We have shot it for years in 243's with fantastic results.

Nosler 85gr partition is a great bullet also.

Shot placement is always the key, regardless of bullet choice.

Focus on marksmanship and bullet placement.
Ditto on the 85 gr. Sierra HPBT. Very accurate and very effective in my 6mm Rem.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:07 AM

Default Thanks Guys!

I have had a lot of people help me in this project to help a youngster with his inherited Rem 7400 in 244 Remington. He is a really jam up guy for his age, not typical for kids of his age at all, a cut above.

We have hogs, lots of them, so a tougher bullet is a good thing. He really loved his uncle that left him the rifle, so we are getting him set up right for him.

I worked with the gun prior to looking for bullets using an 80g Win which is not a very accurate bullet and the gun really is showing potential. One thing that his really nice about the gun is the fact that the it is built on a long action and there is plenty of room in the magazine to chase the lands which will ensure long barrel life.

Thanks for all that have contributed to this thread in helping