Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-11-2021, 02:01 PM

Don't you have a shortage of primers and powder also? To fireform, how about using pellets. Way cheaper that bullets. You could probably use two at a time for the mass.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downunder View Post
Accuracy suffers otherwise I would just load the and shoot them.
Load up 10 rounds and give it a try. What accuracy level are you trying to achieve?
When I was working with my new 17 squirrel barrel as I mentioned prior. My back yard range is only 65 yards long. I set my barrel up with the scope I was going with a 2x6 Burris. Put a target down range. Then just started the task of barrel break in. I had just a poster size piece of white paper with no center dot. I would just point to center of paper and fire off rounds. Clean the barrel then since those 17 cal holes are hard to see out of a pistol scope I would walk down range and check the target. Back at the bench I would make scope adjustments and repeat the barrel break in procedure. Once the break in was achived
I put a one inch dot on the poster board to finalize sight in. I set back and got serious about testing for accuracy. I'm not trying to brag about it but I could put 5 shot groups in a jagged hole that could be covered by a flat base 357 bullet and some by a 30 cal bullet. This is plenty accurate to finish fire forming rounds in ground hog hunting situations verses just using up components of value.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv2001 View Post
Don't you have a shortage of primers and powder also? To fireform, how about using pellets. Way cheaper that bullets. You could probably use two at a time for the mass.
They are becoming hard to obtain but I’m good for primers and powder, it’s proji’s that are becoming selective to find.
I’ll look into pellets, thanks.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylongrifle View Post
Load up 10 rounds and give it a try. What accuracy level are you trying to achieve?
When I was working with my new 17 squirrel barrel as I mentioned prior. My back yard range is only 65 yards long. I set my barrel up with the scope I was going with a 2x6 Burris. Put a target down range. Then just started the task of barrel break in. I had just a poster size piece of white paper with no center dot. I would just point to center of paper and fire off rounds. Clean the barrel then since those 17 cal holes are hard to see out of a pistol scope I would walk down range and check the target. Back at the bench I would make scope adjustments and repeat the barrel break in procedure. Once the break in was achived
I put a one inch dot on the poster board to finalize sight in. I set back and got serious about testing for accuracy. I'm not trying to brag about it but I could put 5 shot groups in a jagged hole that could be covered by a flat base 357 bullet and some by a 30 cal bullet. This is plenty accurate to finish fire forming rounds in ground hog hunting situations verses just using up components of value.
The guns capable of repeatable 1/4 when everything is right.
But can easily blow out to shooting +1 with one or more specs out.
I would fire form in the field if I could obtain repeatable acceptable results down range but I can’t thus the direction Im looking at.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:43 PM

I know really off topic, Today for the first time in I don't know how long the Marines are fling Ospreys and other helicopters in pairs today over Sacramento in a grid search fashion, watch out Bill you may be next

Maybe since they did not get to do anything yesterday, Why waste a good muster ???
Old 09-12-2021, 08:49 PM

I have formed several thousand 20ah and 20 killer bee using right at 7 grs of bullseye and cream of wheat. On some forming's, I was able to keep the rifle pointed up, so no need for a plug, on others, I was shooting down into a barrel of old insulation and use crisco oil shortening. I used very old primmers of any kind. I worked my way up on the charge until I got a full forming, if you are going to use shortening, use just enough to keep the cow in. if you spill it's a mess. on one round of forming I decided to do it in my shop, less noise for neighbors, so I suspended an old piece of plywood about 8 feet up and would shoot up at it. guess what, cream of wheat will go thru plywood if you keep shooting at the same spot. now that plywood cost so much, I won't be doing that anymore. hope this helps
Old 09-12-2021, 09:28 PM
Supporting Member

In the past I used a car muffler for forming cases with Bullseye and Tissue. I got a muffler with off set intake/exhaust outlets. I used step down Fernco rubber couplings on the end I shot into. I did have to use some duck tape so the muzzle was a snug fit. I sit on the picnic table and shot away, very little noise. I tried a piece of PVC pipe with a end cap on the outlet. There's enough gas from 17 A Hornet coming out the outlet that it blew the pipe forward 5-6 foot. Point the gun in a safe direction. Often wondered what a fire forming load with tissue would do to wood boring bumble bees?
Old 09-13-2021, 12:28 AM

While forming I used 8.0gr Bullseye and some Cajun-style fish fry (corn meal base) that I had on hand. Although it made the range smell fantastic, the cayenne included in the mixture kept irritating my eyes. I proceeded to go to store and buy a container of plain corn meal. If you use a filler then bring a can of compressed air (used for blowing/cleaning electronic equipment and keyboards). After each shot give a quick blast to clear any remnants out of chamber between shots. This should reduce need to patch clean rifle during fire-forming session to only after every 50 rounds, instead of every 10-20 rounds.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 09-13-2021 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:23 PM
Supporting Member

In all my years of fire forming with a fast pistol powder and tissue, that fully forms the brass in one pass, I've never seen any after shot residue in the chamber or the barrel to worry about. I do clean the rifle when I'm done, but I see very little fowling due to the process after forming 100 or more pieces of brass.

Light loads to do the same thing over again, maybe several times, might lead to blow-back residue (?), but I've never seen a benefit of doing the same thing over several times to get a desirable outcome when it can be safely done in one pass.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-13-2021, 07:29 PM
Administrator

With what you say "consumables being hard to come by" and you only wanting to blow out the shoulders a few thou, I'm not sure I'd bother with a rimmed case like the 17HH. Seat the bullet out to touch the rifling and go kill something. The result will blow the case out those few thou and you'll have fun shooting stuff while doing it...and not wasting primers.