Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-18-2016, 03:28 PM

Default Cooper 22-250

I have a friend who has just bought a used Cooper Varmint in 22-250. The rifle don't appear to have been used much but that is just a guess based on the condition. The problem is with starting loads and even factory loads it is sticking cases in the chamber, like to hot of a load. We have tried Varget and IMR8208XBR along with some factory Winchester ammunition all with the same result. Just hoping someone else had ran into this problem and could share what they did to solve it. Thanks Nelson
Old 01-18-2016, 04:00 PM

Nelson

I have a Cooper on loan from my Uncle and the extraction cam is very short compared to some actions.

I can pop the bolt open and the case is still fully in the chamber. I have to make sure I lift the bolt that last 1/16" to cam the case out of the chamber.

This is the only Cooper I've been around.

Hal
Old 01-18-2016, 04:01 PM

Is he using brass that has been fired in a different chamber? I have encountered a situation with a 22/250 where the brass fired in a different chamber was not being resized at the very bottom part of the case and when it was fired in a different chamber it would be sticky to extract.

If that is not the situation then it may be a rough spot in the chamber, if you have a borescope accessible take a look at the chamber, otherwise send it to Cooper and they will sort it out.

drover
Old 01-19-2016, 12:15 AM

Can you post some pics of the brass bodies and the fired primers? Primers flat or rounded? Any scuff marks on the brass? Factory ammo shouldn't stick, nor should reasonable reloads with new cases. Exactly what loads is he trying?
Old 01-19-2016, 12:51 AM

In addition to the above, inspect the extractor closely. I had a Cooper Model 21 extractor partially crack such that it flexed just enough to slip off the case rim when trying to extract a fired case. Cooper replaced it at no cost and also fitted and sent a spare extractor. Those were the days when Rob Behr was the customer service mgr.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:25 AM

Update, Found out that my Buddy hadn't cleaned the rifle after he bought it before shooting it. So after cleaning it for 2 hours with copper solvent he loaded another Factory Winchester 55gr in the chamber and took it outside and fired it into the hill (It was already dark outside). The case extracted perfectly, so he loaded the same case with the starting load of varget and a Berger 55gr. and fired once more and the same out come. Nice rounded primer (they were flat before) and easy extraction.

I have never saw a rifle show such high pressure sign at starting load or factory load until this one. Could this all have been from a fouled barrel and dirty chamber? I guess he will start load work as soon as the weather will allow, and I have already warned him to watch for pressure sign (The last shot before cleaning had expanded the primer pocket enough for the primer to fall out) And that was the same load of varget he fired tonight. Thanks for the replies and Ideas I am still not convinced a fouled barrel could have caused all the problems, but I hope I am wrong. Thanks Nelson
Old 01-19-2016, 02:01 PM

Nelson
In your first post you failed to say anything about a primmer falling out.

If you have a carbon build up it can cause pressure when the case is chambered and there is not enough neck clearance.

Hal
Old 01-19-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Nelson
In your first post you failed to say anything about a primmer falling out.

If you have a carbon build up it can cause pressure when the case is chambered and there is not enough neck clearance.

Hal
Sorry about that, but I was not there for that session. We live about 55 miles from each other and most of what he has done has been relayed back to me across the computer. I am still concerned as to why so much pressure if it was only a dirty barrel. I really dout this rifle has saw more than a hundred rounds or so in its life time, But maybe it had never been cleaned until now?

Thanks for the responses. Nelson