Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-18-2017, 02:43 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
moorepower,

Glad you had a good shoot, however in my opinion you may have shared too much information. You should generalized a bit more - for instance, the Douglas,
Wy area rather than naming the ranch, the reason being is that that the owners will be inundated with phone calls from folks who want to hunt there, or when you go back it will be shot out.

Just my two cents.

drover
From the land owner perspective, this in spades. They are ranchers with work to do and most are not into being PR people for the internet masses who come calling, both literally and with a cell phone.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-18-2017, 03:15 AM

You're getting a little out in left field here guys, they have a website promoting the ranch and shooting PD's there.

Jeez, not everything has to be ultra top secret where you have to flash your super duper decoder ring and know the secret squirrel handshake to get in kind of thing does it?!
Old 06-18-2017, 05:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

moorepower:

Those of us that live among the rattlers, we know to watch where
we step, reach, or lay down. Where that was done, the ground was
nearly bare so there was NO snakes there at that time.

Yes, we see them, but, not very often, sometimes way too close though. Being mostly deaf I seldom hear one these days, I have seen them ahead of time except once, and stepped on that one! Mighty lucky as my boot heel was on it's head so I was in no danger. Didn't see that until I'd jumped and then we found it and the heel impression over it's head. It sure tightened up my sensitive parts I'll admit.
This one's coloration was perfect for where it was laying. It was also cold that morning and the snake never moved.

First thing Dad told his buddies: "Take the city kid to the country and the first thing he did was step on a rattler"

You guys that seem to think snake shot is the cure have a rude awakening coming. I've seen quite a few guys shoot snakes to pieces and never hit a head yet. I've done the same thing with a .22, both rifle and pistols, never hit a head yet either. Sure make's 'em mad though.

IF you can, by far the best way to kill one is get it to coil and get a shovel. OR leave the area and let it alone. They're mighty good mouse killers and very little danger until disturbed. Before you kill one, it's best to ask the rancher if they want you to. Many don't.

There's way too many people that are "snake haters and don't use any common sense", if it's a snake, they've gotta kill it regardless.
That's not right as the vast majority are good snakes. Our gun club is full of such jerks.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 06-18-2017 at 06:08 AM. Reason: typo more bs
Old 06-18-2017, 01:12 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
You're getting a little out in left field here guys, they have a website promoting the ranch and shooting PD's there.

Jeez, not everything has to be ultra top secret where you have to flash your super duper decoder ring and know the secret squirrel handshake to get in kind of thing does it?!
Just speaking from family experience on my part with no decoder ring involved. Its still good information for the average internet Joe to be aware of. Most aren't aware.

This is a link to the Fiddleback Ranch in NW Wyoming, a long way from where moorepower was, which houses a commercial hunting operation complete with a licensed guide service and which is a good stretch from the one referred to in the post. It's typically called a "Dude Ranch" by locals. The ranch referred to in the post is in both Converse and Weston Counties in NE Wyoming as evidenced by the reference to Douglas and it is a working cattle ranch. I'm very aware of where it is, again from experience, and I'm not trying to protect any honey holes I might have.

http://www.fiddlebackranch.net/

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 06-18-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:53 PM

First, there are 2 Fiddleback ranches. 2 the rancher personally asked me to tell as many people as possible to come and shoot the prairie dogs because they are such a problem. I never saw a rattlesnake and was thankful. I have only heard one when I was bringing up our dairy cattle when I was young and didn't like it. Aspen told me she shot 2 the week before around the trailer and they have a den around their house and they don't care for them and that they shoot them when they see them. She has a website but it is was down when I was there. www.prairidogpursuit.com. I didn't saw anything about the ranch or location until I got the owners blessing actually more of a request to send people to shoot them. He even tells local gun shops to send people there so I was very cautious about giving out information. My family's farm is still in the family so I understand the landowners perspective well.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Supporting Member

Any time you're out on the prairie in NE Wyoming, rattle snakes are a very real possibility. When I was in High school there we used to go out in the spring on warm days looking for dended-up snakes who were coming out of hibernation to shoot. Sometimes they would be in a wad of maybe 50-75 snakes and you could use up a 50 round box of 22LR ammo on one bunch.

Anytime you see a bunch like this, there are probably just as many snakes crawling around in the immediate area as they get warmer. It made for exciting times when you are 17 years old........!!

-BCB

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 06-18-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: photo added............