Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-03-2018, 09:10 PM

Default Stress free bedding = Stress free shooting

It still amazes me that people don't get that without proper bedding, one will never get a rifle to shoot close to it's potential. I should not complain, because I keep picking up poor shooting orphans, that just need bedding. The owners make sure they tell me, that they can't get it to shoot, and they tried 2-3 different brands of ammo, tried 2 scopes, ect..... So far I picked up a 700 BDL in .223, a Savage 40 22H, a Ruger 77/22H now 17HH, and I also bought a Savage 110 in 7RM in a laminate stock that with 2 fingers you can move the barrel side to side around 1/4" because the screws are so loose. I am currently working on a Savage 12 BVSS that is going to be a 6mm CM and the former owner that sold it to me for $350 for the action and stock with a SAV2 RB trigger, had the bedding so messed up, he needed a longer screw in the front, and when the screw was removed the front of the action was 3/16" off of the bedding that he applied! This is on a factory pillar bedded stock. I should not complain, because I have 3 great shooters now, "hopefully" 5 for 1/2 to 2/3 of what they are worth, but I still just don't get it! Rant over.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Supporting Member

Bedding is always a good answer to what will make any rifle shoot well.

That said, you would be surprised at how many factory rifles simply need a judicious and sensible use of a screw driver on the action screws to help them reach their potential as shooters. Its always my first tool when I pick up a used "POS inaccurate" (someones else's words) Remington 700, etc., for pennies on the dollar.

Some do require bedding to get to their potential, but many of these rifles are hunting rifles and a screw driver will get just about any of them to shoot less that 1 MOA, which is all a hunter ever needs to be successful. For a serious varmint rifle shot from a bench or for more serious accuracy requirements, bedding is the complete answer.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 04-04-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:59 PM

ive just had this today with a rifle , friend came over with a little used remmy 700 sendro in 223 , it was shooting he coulnt hit a thing with it at 100 yards, it was sold as needing a new barrel , took a look barrel action were fine both action screws went in at least 2 turns each , The back mount was also loose , Friend came back saw my group , he barely belived me that i just tightent the screws. !!! its very common
Old 04-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Supporting Member

I believe in bedding but I have a lot of them that aren’t bedded. One amazing example that I still don’t like knowing as a reloader is a factor CZ 527 shooting Hornady factory 32 gr bullets into .4” @100 yards(4-five shot groups). New gun first box of ammo. The 40 gr factory ammo was closer to 1”. First and last factory rifle ammo I ever shot
Old 04-04-2018, 06:33 PM

I put a shim of plastic from an old credit card under the rear screw and action bed behind the front guard screw of my CZ527. That was it, other than slightly sanding out the barrel channel a bit & slathering on True Oil to that surface.

You guys have seen the groups from this rifle. 3-3shot groups running from .105", .165"" & .348" with 2 different loads (14.4gr. and 14.0gr. LG in RP brass), 3 different bullets, 40gr. Barnes HP & Fed. 100 primer, 40gr. Sierra HP and 45gr. Hornady .224" with Fed 200primers, but all at 100 meters.
My rifle was the Euro Lux Model with light 23.4" bl. attached to that page, is another 45gr. group with the .223" Hornady, 14.0gr. LG, also using RP brass and 200 primer at .215".

Sometimes bedding does not have to be much, but even and non-torquing is usually vital.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:44 PM

I've always been of the belief, just about all rifles will benefit, to some degree, from a properly done bedding job. I even have some of my rimfire rifles bed.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:53 AM

I agree. The best way to check bedding is as follows.

-Place the rifle barrel in padded vice jaws with the rifle upside down.
-Ensure both action screws are properly torqued, use a torque screwdriver if you can.
-While watching the barrel gap at the forend, loosen either the front or the rear screw.
-If you see the stock make any move, that isn't good.
-Repeat with the other screw.

You can get fancy and use a dial indicator, but the initial test will be obvious if there is an issue. Seeing the barrel stock gap open up 1/8" is never a good sign and will have an impact on your groups.

If your barrel is touching the stock before you do this test, results won't be valid.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:17 AM
Supporting Member

LOL…!!! Déjà vu, or something like it, happened to me big time yesterday……………… Kind of a strange and unique situation overall, but…….

Earlier in this thread I mentioned “POS” factory rifles that can be bought cheaply and can be made to shoot very easily with just an adjustment to the action screws. I think that I maybe bought another one yesterday.

So, anyway……… I was on my way to a local range in the afternoon to shoot a couple of hand guns and I stopped by a gun shop on the way. Without going into a lot of detail, before I left I had bought a consignment gun in excellent condition for $390 that they had just put on the shelf right before I came through the door.

Supposedly the owner of the gun said he had put a second scope on the rifle thinking that the first time he tried the rifle about 2 weeks ago when it shot so poorly that he thought the scope had gone belly-up. So, a couple of days ago he tried it with a second scope (a New Leupold VX-Freedom 3x9 scope that is a new low priced Leupold offering). He told the shop folks that it shot even worse with the new scope.

As to the rifle's pedigree, it's a Remington Model 7 Predator in 243 Win (full dipped camo action/barrel/synthetic stock with a fluted barrel, black bolt, and BDL style black drop floor plate trigger guard.

Before I headed on to the range, I bought a box of Remington 100 grain Core Lokt ammo for it in the gun shop and I went on to the range. Before shooting it, I did loosen the action screws and torqued them down like I normally do, and I loosened the two back-side screws on the Leupold scope rings to “uncant” the ~5+ degrees of scope cant on the scope. After bore-sighting it and shooting it twice at 50 yards, it was shooting dead on for elevation but about 2“ to the right. I moved the scope over and a third and fourth shot centered in the bull’s eye on the 50-yard target. Next, I moved out to 100 yards and with the first shot it was online windage-wise and just a bit high elevation-wise for my liking, so I moved the scope to give a point of impact ~1.5” high, and the point of impact moved just fine as verified by two additional shots.

So far……7 shots fired that gave me no reason to be concerned about anything. From there over the next ~30 minutes (for barrel cooling) I put the next 13 shots all into a 2” circle at 100 yards. The bull’s eye was a red 1” circle with a ½” thick white band around it that formed a 2” bull on the outside. I aimed at 6 o’clock on the white bull and 10 of the 13 shots were in the red 1” circle. 3 shots landed just out of the red in the white outer ring, but all 13 shots were well within the 2” outer bull. Maybe a 1.5” group………….

I’m not sure what I’m going to do with a blinged-out camo Rem Model 7 Predator in 243 Win, but it and the scope that came with it seem to both work as hoped for. BTW – the scope is mounted in new looking standard Leupold steel 2-piece matte scope bases and rings. And for a low-priced scope, the VX-Freedom scope seems well worth the money. It is very clear optically with click adjustments that seemed spot on. Midway USA currently has them for $199. Overall the rifle looks new other than it had obviously been shot some from looking at the bolt face. Barrel contouring and the fluting on the barrel reminded me of the old 700 stainless LVSF rifles from a few years back, but with a Model 7 action.

Anyway………. I just had to share after my earlier post………. Whether the action screw re-torqueing at the range changed anything or not (I have no idea since I did not try to shoot it before re-torqueing), I thought that the rifle shot pretty good at 100 yards with a 9x power scope setting and cheap factory ammo; and very adequately for a hunting style rifle. Especially after hearing about the seller's thoughts about the rifle (a 5" inch shooter at best) when he brought it into the shop for consignment sale.

The camo beast blending in..........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 04-09-2018, 02:27 AM

Nice!!! Glad to here it shoots well for you. Maybe the other guy just can’t shoot worth a crap.