Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-01-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xring View Post
Tilleyman , Barsness does mention Case Forming for the 17 Hornet . He calls it an involved Process . He says : " It would seem that simply trimming 22 Hornet Cases to the correct Length , then sizing them in a 17 Hornet Die would work , but Hornet Brass is thin , and the upper section of the 17 Hornets case body is larger in Diameter than the 22 Hornets . Consequently the Case Body is not supported by the 17 Hornet Sizing Dies , which usually results in collapsed Cases " . He then mentions one Solution is to remove the Stem from a Redding Seating Die which allows necking down the 22 Hornet Brass to about 19 Caliber . He then trims Cases by about 0.053 Inch and runs them thru the Full Length 17 Hornet Die . He mentions that this produces Cases ( for him ) with less than stellar Bullet alignment and Groups about twice as large as with 17 Hornady Brass . He says he decided to Fireform the Neck Sized Cases with Cream of Wheat until Factory Brass is widely available . Hope this makes sense as my one finger typing just gave up ..... . I think it would benefit the Newbies if the 17 hornet Shooters on this Board would give their experienced opinions on 17 Hornet Case Forming .

Thats very interesting. I found that forming cases resulted in some good grouping even during the fire forming process. About nickle size groups at 50 yards..

If I didn't make my own cases with the help of Tilly I would still be staring at my CZ527...

The forming process was rather easy with the right aproach. I've also read that the factory brass is poor with obstructed flash holes and cupped heads and shallow primer pockets...
Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 AM

Thanks for the summary XC

I think John Barsness is making the whole process more difficult than it needs to be with Cream of Wheat fireforming etc

I didn't have much trouble forming cases using the Bullberry double ended form and trim die... originally I used both ends .20 and .17 cal then finished off in the 17 Hornet FLS die.

But then realised the .17 cal operation was unnecessary if you left the neck and new shoulder slightly too long after the .20 cal resize and then just ran them into the 17 Hornet FLS die using Redding Imperial Sizing wax.

Runout in the reformed cases averaged .009" vs a max of just .001" in fireformed and FLS reloaded cases... normally such runout should lead to the reformed cases being less accurate when first fired.
However, like Jingle I found them to be very accurate and perfectly fine for hunting.

As I mentioned in another post, Redding have now released a specific 17 Hornet form and trim die (#83279 @ $59.80) I've ordered one from Sinclairs, which should arrive in about 10 days.

I will report back on how effective it is, but 'theoretically' should be faster being able to file trim to approximate length in the reforming die, then FLS and trimming to 1.355" before fireforming.

There's a LOT of material on reforming 22 Hornet cases saved as a sticky at Small Caliber Load Data under '22 Hornet to 17 Hornet'
Old 07-02-2014, 04:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

ChickenThief:

What's the requirements of having things mailed in from the US?
Sounds like it's gotten too far to make any changes other than
relocation.

Wish you the best mate.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-03-2014, 06:20 AM

[
Quote:
Denmark is but a greasy spec on the world map ;-)
6 million people on an area that is a little more Maryland.
I think the biggest jokes in Denmark is mountain bikes (highest dirt hill is less than 400ft high) and survival knives (the most desolate place is less than 2 miles from any populated area).
There is no state land, everything is polulated or private farm land, so hunting if expensive and not wery good. Fox, roedeer and birds, that's it. Less than 1000 pcs of elk sized game in the whole country, and they kep it under fence!
So nowhere to shoot but the dedicated shooting ranges and then it is 300m~330yds at the most. So much for long range shooting.

We have @ 170000 people that has a hunting license and out of them less than 2-3000 reload. Because of all the has-mat fees we dont have American powders, Vihtavuori is the norm, not even German or French powders is imported because of that has-mat thing. I pay @ $60-65 for a pound of powder and primers is @ 6 cents a pop.
I have contacted a lot of organic farms and fruit plantasions im a vain hope to at least get some pest control shooting with my 17 Rem. Mainly starlings, magpies and crows. But time will show.
Biggest weapons related forum in Denmark has a little less than 4000 members and of them @ 3-400 is active, so we are a select few.

Gun related laws are retarded!
All guns in safes (i'm ok with that!), 10 max handguns and 25 guns max total unless you have a 1 ton safe or cast concrete vault (with direct alarm to the police). That includes antique guns.
No more than 2kg~5lbs of powder and 5000 primers at any given time.

I want a 17 HH rifle bad!
If i order a CZ 527 i have to wait 6-8 months and it will cost me $1400.
Then i thought of building one with a 22 Hornet donor rifle. A (German) barrel blank will set me back at least $500 and the action about the same.
I contacted a gunsmith an he said $500 min. just to thread the barrel and chamber it with a reamer i supplied, if he had to lift a finger then it would cost extra. No contuor turning, no crowning, no polishing and bluing and defenetly no bedding and inletting.

Sorry for the rambling and hijacking of your thread!
[/quote]

The laws are nowhere near as tight as the UK ones. Safes as per you powder is as per you but includes powder in any shotgun cartridges you may also have, no regs on primers but certificate needs to be shown on purchase. No expanding ammo unless authorised to have, most of us do have this if fox shooting, no handguns, not even for our Olympic pistol shooters, no semi auto centerfire rifles, justify every weapon, prove regular use of every weapon every 5 years. Duplication of calibers is hard unless you can reasonably justify, perhaps one with NV gear for instance. Ammo holding typically will be buy 100 hold 150 in a caliber or less if the previous terms usage is lower.

CZ527 in 17 Hornet is a good tool, I have a laminated factory stock under mine. As good as a Morso stove, I act for Morso, hell of a good company.

Very interesting detail on the 32 inch German gun, now thats a rabbit gun and a half, thanks for sharing.

A