Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 01-31-2015, 10:02 PM

Default 223 Rem. 53 gr. vmax & Benchmark

None of my manuals have the 53gr. Vmax in them. I used the data from Hodgdon's web site for a 53gr bullet (Sierra Hp??) to get a starting point. Well at 24.5 gr of Benchmark I got a really good group, does anyone know what the Hornady manual shows for load data and speed for the 53 gr Vmax and Benchmark? I am going to order a Hornady manual this week just trying to get a head start on working up a load. Thanks, Nelson
Old 01-31-2015, 10:52 PM

Default 223 Rem 53gr vmax and Benchmark

My book lists it at 3102 FPS, with 24.0 grains of Benchmark. So yours should be slightly faster. It also shows 25 grains as max, running around 3200. Bill K
Old 02-01-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
My book lists it at 3102 FPS, with 24.0 grains of Benchmark. So yours should be slightly faster. It also shows 25 grains as max, running around 3200. Bill K
Thanks Bill K

I wanted something faster but for a light barreled Rem 700 I am think if the accuracy repeats I better stick with this load. My 25 gr. load had a much larger group. Glad I didn't try higher load as the Hodgdon manual showed 26 gr as max for whatever 53gr. bullet they had listed. Thanks, Nelson
Old 02-01-2015, 12:41 PM

Why not continue the workup, maybe .2 grain at a time and see what happens. Sweet spots sometimes come and go, and you may find one toward the lower end and others slightly up the chart. Benchmark seems to be pretty forgiving when it comes to pressure spikes, at least in the .223 size cases.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
Why not continue the workup, maybe .2 grain at a time and see what happens. Sweet spots sometimes come and go, and you may find one toward the lower end and others slightly up the chart. Benchmark seems to be pretty forgiving when it comes to pressure spikes, at least in the .223 size cases.

I believe I will work with the powder a little more, I hadn't really shot this rifle before (got it on a trade) and was going to put it up for sale. I got bored and loaded up the 24 gr / 24.5 gr / and 25 gr. loads and the 24.5 shot about a half inch in a Light weight factory barrel, I may just keep it as my calling rifle for coyotes at least this year anyway. We don't get many chances at coyotes and usualy 300 or less yards with most 100 yards and under. Now if I could just get the rest of my factory 17 Hornet ammo ran through the CZ and get a good accurate load worked up for it, IF I could ever find powder that is.
Thanks, Nelson
Old 02-01-2015, 02:05 PM

Default 223 Rem 53 grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
Reasonable suggestion, Nelson. But go slow and easy. And watch for pressure signs carefully.
Also have you checked out Hodgdon's Data site ? Easy to use and it shows various calibers/loads/etc. Bill K
Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Reasonable suggestion, Nelson. But go slow and easy. And watch for pressure signs carefully.
Also have you checked out Hodgdon's Data site ? Easy to use and it shows various calibers/loads/etc. Bill K

Bill K

I did check Hodgdon's site and that is what I had based my first loads from. I know the different bearing surfaces and jacket material makes a difference but Hodgdons data for the Sierra 53 gr HP is max at 23 gr (full grain higher) and even though it is a 223 Rem should I treat load work up any different than I have with my wildcats? (17 Jet , 17 Mach IV, 20 Tactical, 5mm Craig). Published data is nice but maybe I am putting to much thought into it? Maybe I should just go slow like always and find what the rifle likes? For some reason when I have published data I seem to change everything that has worked for me so far, I do tend to over think but it has kept me safe so far I guess.

Nelson
Old 02-01-2015, 10:19 PM
Supporting Member

Default Hornady 9th Edition

Shows 25 gr of Benchmark as max for their 53 vmax at 3200fps. 24 gr of Benchmark with same bullet as moving at 3100 fps. Jim
Old 02-02-2015, 01:34 AM

Default 24.5 gr benchmark and 53gr VMax

24.5grs of benchmark seems to be a good load. It Worked very well in several factory 223 remington 700's in 9 twist and 12 twist barrels.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:43 AM

Default 53Vmax

Pet load for my factory 223 Remington LVSF

53 Vmax
26.2 IMR8208
CCI BR4
Nosler Custom brass