Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-16-2015, 04:22 AM

Default 17 Mach 2 CZ 452 Varmint Only 1 action screw.

My CZ 452 Varmint only has the 1 action screw no dovetail in tang area or barrel. this 1 screw is all that holds the rifle in the stock. Has anyone drilled and taped the tang for a screw? Is it thick enough to get threads that will hold in. Good idea or bad? I never realized these were only held by the one center action screw. Could I just pillar the one screw and glass bed the action? I need recomendations.

Also have any of you tride the Rifle Basix CZ-52 trigger in these? It goes from 10 oz. to 2 1/2 lbs.

Nelson
Old 02-16-2015, 05:56 AM
Supporting Member

Nelson Have ya shot it yet? I haven't had need to have mine out of the stock since I got it when they first came out and installed one of Eric Brook's trigger kits in it that tickles me pink at a consistently crisp 1lb trigger. I then did the requisite barrel cleaning and I also broke it in cause I'm a fanatic . No bedding no nothing.
After that I took it to the range for sight in and with a bit of left to right breeze shot this early but not not at all unusual for this rifle, 100 yard group.

My question about ya shooting it is coming from wondering if ya need to do much of anything ? Not sure what the Rifle Basix trigger cost but at the time I put Brookie's trigger kit in mine it was about 14 bucks and you could do two or three rifles with it. I do like the idea of some trigger improvement and if it needs work to improve the accuracy I'm all for it but if it doesn't why bother ?
Let us know how it works out for ya and what ya decide on!
Old 02-16-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
Nelson Have ya shot it yet? I haven't had need to have mine out of the stock since I got it when they first came out and installed one of Eric Brook's trigger kits in it that tickles me pink at a consistently crisp 1lb trigger. I then did the requisite barrel cleaning and I also broke it in cause I'm a fanatic . No bedding no nothing.
After that I took it to the range for sight in and with a bit of left to right breeze shot this early but not not at all unusual for this rifle, 100 yard group.

My question about ya shooting it is coming from wondering if ya need to do much of anything ? Not sure what the Rifle Basix trigger cost but at the time I put Brookie's trigger kit in mine it was about 14 bucks and you could do two or three rifles with it. I do like the idea of some trigger improvement and if it needs work to improve the accuracy I'm all for it but if it doesn't why bother ?
Let us know how it works out for ya and what ya decide on!

I may just be getting ahead of myself, I had pulled the rifle out of the scock and noticed the stock making hard contact (rubbed off bluing) at the tip of stock and barrel. Barrel fits fairly tight all the way from the action to where it leaves the stock. I was going to free float the barrel and relized their was only 1 action screw and was afraid without the barrel contact it would move around in the stock? Maybe I need to fire a few rounds through the rifle before doing anything, but the trigger feels horable gritty with a ton of creep and it has already been adjust as light as the spring will allow and still to heavy for my taste.

Nelson
Old 02-16-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
My CZ 452 Varmint only has the 1 action screw no dovetail in tang area or barrel. this 1 screw is all that holds the rifle in the stock. Has anyone drilled and taped the tang for a screw? Is it thick enough to get threads that will hold in. Good idea or bad? I never realized these were only held by the one center action screw. Could I just pillar the one screw and glass bed the action? I need recomendations.

Also have any of you tried the Rifle Basix CZ-52 trigger in these? It goes from 10 oz. to 2 1/2 lbs.

Nelson
Doug is on the right track here I suspect, based on personal experience with the CZ 452 HM2 x 4 here.

Those groups Doug shows look remarkably familiar as well.

May wish to stop over on rimfire central and do a search for the Brooks trigger kit, No longer available. components will likely be easy to acquire at a very reasonable cost at a general hardware store. a link to get you started below did not seem to address the brass tubing to adjust out the creep.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=278862

Been a while now though as I remember the kit amounted to a selection of two different short sections of brass tube with different wall thickness & a lighter spring.

A little time consuming to do the kit as I recall though the results were worth the time invested.
Galatians 5:22-23New Living Translation (NLT)

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
Old 02-16-2015, 11:45 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Thumbs up

Brooks had a habit of taking money and not shipping anything.

Lookup YoDave trigger kit http://www.yodaveproducts.com

Nice quality, low cost, excellent trigger.

Oh and mine shoots a lot like Doug's from the factory.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:42 AM

I will check out the YoDave kit, I guess I had better run some ammo through the rifle before getting so ahead of myself. I guess the foot of fresh snow and cold temps got the best of me (looking for a project). I haven't posted much on here over the years, but I sure have enjoyed reading and learning from others.

Before this site I had no experance with wildcats, but in the past few years I have owned a 20 Tactical, 17 Mach IV, a 17 Jet, 5mm Craig , and a few others. I am now looking at putting togather a budget Remington 700 in 243 AI, I will probaly just buy a Remington 700 Varmint and have the barrel set back and rechambered by a local smith if They will work with me.

Well thanks for the tips Fellas, I have alot of shooting to get caught up on when the weather will allow.

Nelson
Old 02-17-2015, 12:51 AM
Supporting Member

Mine mirrors Dougs results with just a free float and Brooks. Try all brands of ammo, if you can find it, to see what she likes. Mine is partial to Eley.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:27 AM
Supporting Member

I was reading you guys posts and for just a split second my memory kicked in, I did float that barrel . Wadda ya want from me it's been 11 years ?
I just went back and checked and it is indeed free-floated.
I free-floated it, put in Brookie's Kit and that's all I did aside from cleaning and break-in..."Final Answer" ! Memory? What memory ???

By-the-way, that "Yo Dave" trigger kit looks a bit more refined than Brookie's did. I think Eric got overwhelmed with orders cause when I ordered mine it was back in a flash. The "Yo Dave" kit looks like an upgrade to Brookie's.
Keep us posted Nelson.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Supporting Member

I have used both the YoDave and Rifle Basix on 452s. The RB is a great trigger but cost almost $120. The YoDave gives as good a result for a lot less money but you do have to know how to safely stone the existing trigger to get rid of the gravely feel. The said, I have had a few 452s that need no trigger work to be just fine and the 453s with the set triggers are always great.

I would float the barrel and try it out. I think you will find the one anchor point plenty, though bedding any gun is never a bad idea. I have had most guns improve their groups, some no change but I have never had one get worse from being bedded. In all cases bedding helps to ensure the POI doesn't change over the seasons on wood stocks.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Supporting Member

This is my one screw 17m2. It has my version of the yo Dave kit and a new crown. 50yds 5 shots.

Adam