Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-12-2007, 05:42 AM

Default 5mm Craig and LilGun ?????

A while back I ran across a old Remington 5mm Mag, I put it in the safe for a later project (5mm Craig). Well I really had forgot about it till the other day I ran across the converted 591 in the classifieds (of coarse it was sold by the time I sent a PM) luck was on my side and the buyer had backed out and my Money order is in the mail.

So anyway I got on the net and started looking for any load info I could find (was hoping to find info for LilGun) I ran across the link below a guy did a write up on the 5mm craig and He used LilGun, so I thought I would post this info for anyone who likes the little 5mm and hasen't already found the artical.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/article...gory16/53.html

P.S. Have any of you tried LilGun in the 5mm?? if so did your findings match the guy's in the artical????

Nelson
Old 10-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Supporting Member

U-R a lucky guy!!! This 5mm mag will bring you much joy!!! Matter of fact I don’t ever remember hearing anyone complain about one of these fun accurate hard hitting lil fellows….

I have only used Enforcer and #9 with good success and am not sure why I didn’t give lilgun a try because I have used in my 17 Short Mag (a case not much taller than a 17 HM2) and a 17 CCM….

His results look very good! Mine is a Schroeder conversion and here are my results using 32 gr V-Max that are max safe in MY riffle so you would want to start low and work up…

6.7 grs #9 2230 fps
6.1 grs Enforcer 2250 fps

And for some reason the lead 30 gr cast bullets really shoot good groups and hit velocities of an ave 2675 fps using 6.7 grs #9. Too bad they are not a jacket bullet and I could shoot that load….

I hear that a 27 gr bullet will be available sometime! That will be sweet for this lil guy. I was hoping it would be a shorter bullet to feed through the magazine however I hear it is a varmint grenade and they make them a lil long too????

Thanks for the link and I think the next time I get a chance I might give lil gun a try even though I have been really happy with the Enforcer load!

Sooo…. Want to sell that other 5mm Mag you have??? LOL

Hopefully others will chime in I really enjoy reading about these 5mm Mags!
Old 10-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Supporting Member

Nelson,

You can e-mail Andrew (the guy who wrote the article) at that website. He's off this week from work, so he's probably bored to tears and looking for something to do (read: tongue planted firmly in cheek).

Seriously, he worked up quite a few loadings for both types of brass available (Schroder or Certech) using Lil'Gun and a few others IIRC. The rifle was indeed a hoot to shoot!

OAN, you might be able to talk one of the guys on the board out of their 5mm bullet mould that one of the fellas on this board had done by Lee...just a thought...
Old 10-12-2007, 03:11 PM

I plan on using the Hornady 32gr. vmax (because I have several already) and also will try the 30gr. Berger (get a box of 100 with the rifle) . I sure wish I had gotten in on the bullet mold but at the time I hadn't even ever laid my eyes on one of these little riffles. I think I will keep both 591's and maybe order the schroder conversion for it later (don't know why I need 2 ) so I can compair the 2 differant conversions.

I sure would like to get my hands on one of those bullet molds "anybody want to sell theirs?" I wish I got in on the deal in the begining (don't want to put a fortune in the set up fees they charge for just 1 mold). Who knows maybe their will be a future group buy again? Just can't wait to see what this little sucker will do to tree squirrels.

Also does anyone have schroders ph#? I am going to need some brass.

Nelson
Old 10-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Gary,

Those 27gr. bullets may be just the ticket in the 5mm mag. I will have to try them when they come out.

Nelson
Old 10-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Supporting Member

619-423-8124

I'll think about it and if you get no offers I might consider letting my go... Just haven't used it and really haven't had the time. Little slow going but man do those suckers shoot! Bill West sure did good!!

Old 10-12-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
619-423-8124

I'll think about it and if you get no offers I might consider letting my go... Just haven't used it and really haven't had the time. Little slow going but man do those suckers shoot! Bill West sure did good!!

Gary,

If you or anyone wants to let your mold go, give me a PM. Nelson
Old 10-12-2007, 09:32 PM

I'll sell you mine, pm sent.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:36 AM

Gary, is there a reason you don't shoot your cast load? I know that 2675 fps seem kinda fast for a cast bullet but if the accuracy is good and the bore doesn't lead why not?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:14 AM
Supporting Member

I was told that lead can be very hard to remove and even though i could not tell any fouling after shooting some of these moly coated cast bullets I decided not to take any chances... It was a great load and fun to hunt squirrels with.

These low recoiling hard hitting 20 calibers sure are great fun and I am looking forward to doing the 20 mink/20 AH too!!!