Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2017, 04:09 PM

Default 17 Fireball or 17 Remington ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
Not too long ago, there was a thread on this forum about 17s, and 17HMR was being touted as a good ‘yote caliber.
Ken.
Not sure if it was that they were being TOOTED as good yote calibers. Just that with proper placement of the bullet and within their proper range, they will do the job, just fine, and are very deadly. Bill K

Last edited by Bill K; 11-16-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:09 PM

Build a 20 Vartarg. You'll never regret it. Killer accuracy no barrel heat easy to load. Bucks wind better the the 17's. It's a no brainier just my opinion.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:09 PM

I have a Ruger #1 accurized and re-barreled with a 1:9 lilja barrel in 17 Fire Ball.

This rifle is more fun to shoot than should be allowed. Remington factory 20 gr loads shoot well for small stuff (well under .5 at 100) and I have actually killed one coyote with that load though I will not try it again. Too many possible chances to goof up.

I am shooting Hornady 25 gr HP at 3750 out of it for coyotes and, although my kill numbers are not huge at this point, I am very satisfied with the FB round and really impressed with the Lilja barrel. I keep my shots at under 250 and don't shoot this gun over 100 or so on real windy days. I have a 6mm BR if conditions require it.

I am thinking about having another one built for my wife.... That is how much I like this round...... she likes it also....

Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
SCTP Collegiate Coaches Chairman
NSCA Level III
Old 11-16-2017, 10:24 PM

I am getting 3950(not even max with h414) with 29-30 gr bullets with my 17 rem. You can load the 17 rem or a 17/223 down to the furball but you can't load the fireball up to big brother. And the fireball doesn't shoot as flat or with less drift.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:19 PM

Thank You for the feedback everyone. It's appreciated!

BL
Old 11-18-2017, 12:33 AM
Supporting Member

Touted.......TOOTED.....

Potato.......Tomato.......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-18-2017, 01:44 AM

Working up a load for my 17 Remington today
https://i.imgur.com/bzL2phL.jpg
Old 11-18-2017, 03:39 PM

Well just speaking here as a newbe to small calibers. After a couple of 204's and a couple more 223's, a 17 HH and now a 17remington, just since this spring. I may have come to a conclusion of sorts. Mind you, I have not shot enough of any of these other than the 223 to become "attached" to a specific one, other than the 223.
I had the hots for a 20 practical and still do. I have spent a lot of time reading.
I myself would opt for a 17-223. Brass and lots of it available. Spec'd out right, LC brass with just enough turned off to clean them up is a direction I would lean.

Brass forming. My thoughts would be on line with how the 20 practical is done and just keep going with a 17-223 die.
Not giving much of any up over a 17 Remington. Brass for this is obtainable with various prices and resources. I have found that just because somthing is not listed for sale at one of your favorite haunts, just ask. More times than not I have bad luck this way. I obtained some 17 Remington brass that way from a very generous forum member here and at other places I frequent. You know who you are, Thanks again!

Big case little case.
You can always load down, but it can be a chore or unsafe to press top ends in a small case.
Some may argue the "efficient" point here. That lies close to accuracy discussion IMHO. If it burns powder clean with useable accuracy, I myself careless if it burns 10 grains or 25 grains. I prefer a case full of powder myself.

Just my .02.
Jeff
Old 11-18-2017, 03:44 PM

Forgot one thing on the 17 fireball.
Has anyone tried to put 300 BO brass into service for this?
Just a thought. Don't have any books at hand right now. Didn't know if the 300 neck/shoulder junction was in a bad place for that or not. The 300 BO brass I have picked up looks to be usable and thin enough to neck down?
Old 11-18-2017, 04:15 PM

300 Blackout brass comes out too short when necked back down...or at least the brass I tried (Hornady) was too short...when necked down...
Bill