Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-24-2018, 04:20 PM

Default ground squirrel hunting

Does anyone have a connection with a landowner that is in need of GS thinning? I would be coming from Nebraska so the further east would be best. Someone last year said they had a place in Utah, but I must have deleted the pm. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:01 PM

Default sage rats

NOS is a full service outfit, Shooters Service Unlimited will give you a place to shoot and leave you for the day.

http://no-off-season.com/

http://www.shootersservicesunlimited.com/page14.php

On our last trip out there a friend and I shot about 4000 rounds in three days shooting, 2 days with Tim and one day with Duane. Both have great shooting, all fields are not created equal though
Old 03-25-2018, 06:00 PM

Wow. That would be fun! The only issue is the drive from eastern Nebraska. The plague ran through my favorite pd spot so I am scrambling for a mid May trip. Might start planning for next year however, for a longer drive
Old 03-25-2018, 06:14 PM
Supporting Member

I shot 2 years with Tim at NOS. Can't say enough, Tim runs a first class operation. If the weather is good you won't believe the squirrels he'll put you on.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:17 PM

What is the prime time of the year to go. I think it’s time to start planning for next year!
Old 03-25-2018, 06:31 PM
Supporting Member

We went during the last 2 weeks of Apr.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:47 PM

Thanks. This year the interstate might have been closed in April! I am guessing one migh get blisters from reloading out there. Probably would not need anything larger than the.17HH for those buggers.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:23 PM

Default rats

We have shot with tim a couple time's. I think the HMR's are great when the little guys are out, but the Fireball and FB wildcat's are the best I think. The 17 FB or the Mach 4, are awesome. Of course the 20 VT works great as well. The high speed 20's and the good ole two two three cant be beat for launching but are kinda overkill, which I guess is the whole point. Who can make the most pieces fly the furthest!!!

I remember one late afternoon while Tim and my traveling friend where standing around chatting waiting for me to stop shooting. I had a Cooper 221 FB in a classic that I still had some ammo to finish out. Then was a large group of adult rats out during the happy hour and I was cracking them pretty hard with the Fireball and 40 gr Vmax. You would be surprised by the red indicator fluid and the chunkage that little package will provide. Tim stood back calling the hits, Cranium, Wrectum, Cranium, etc. Good times!!
Old 03-25-2018, 11:45 PM

I agree that there’s no such thing as overkill. I am sure a .223 would go just because I have do many components on the shelf. What are the longer ranges you shoot at the little buggers? I suspect it would be hard to bring too much ammo or too many rifles for that volume of shooting.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:03 AM
Supporting Member

There's a reason a lot of people shoot the smaller CF cases and RF's, with the volume of shooting that can be done, the larger cases just heat up too fast.