Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-26-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve123 View Post
PCP's with a moderator are so much fun for this kind of stuff, there's just no noise or recoil!!!

My longest hit on Potguts was 165Y or so with a 29ftlb 22 caliber.

Next month I hope to extend that personal record to 200Y or so with a FX Impact in 25 cal.

That place where I go is about 6 hours north in Utah. I live in AZ and think I should mention I'm willing to take a short vacation within a couple days drive to shoot "whatever" varmints, with any nice guy/s that's feeling extremely charitable!
I took my .25 Marauder with last year, and only shot out to around 70 yds. Due to the wind I was hold 2 mil dots off, so it was a little challenging. I could see with the squeeks, how one could work their way out, starting on air. Where I would go, depends on if I have a shooting partner/co driver with. You guys are the best for ammo sales!
Old 03-27-2018, 12:49 AM

Default Ground squirrels or prairie dogs

Are you looking specifically for ground squirrels or will prairie dogs do? There seem to be so many names for each of the varieties of the little grass munchers that it is difficult to tell which version folks are talking about.

PM me if you like. I might be able to hook you up.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 03-27-2018, 02:40 AM

As far as caliber(s) I really prefer to shoot a file that I can watch over 80% of my hits. Also heat really sucks when you’re waiting for your barrel to cool and your buddy’s are just wailing away on them.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
Are you looking specifically for ground squirrels or will prairie dogs do? There seem to be so many names for each of the varieties of the little grass munchers that it is difficult to tell which version folks are talking about.

PM me if you like. I might be able to hook you up.
I "think" I found a Pdog spot for this year, but I really want to try ground squirrels, so I can shoot until I get a blister from loading I have to turn my vacations in for the next year in, by November, so I like to get my ducks lined up early.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilA. View Post
As far as caliber(s) I really prefer to shoot a file that I can watch over 80% of my hits. Also heat really sucks when you’re waiting for your barrel to cool and your buddy’s are just wailing away on them.
That's why I love the Hornets. I also take several guns to rotate, but have never shot 1k rounds a day, like many talk about.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:09 PM
Supporting Member

Shooting 400-500 a day is a lot of work but totally doable. One shot per minute for 8 hours is only 480 shots so shooting a 1000 shots a day would be hard to do for this old guy.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:24 PM

The only times any of us have ever fired 1K rounds in a single day on squirrels, is usually only doable when the wee ones are out, and we're riding around the ranch with our modified 10-22's shooting out the truck windows with dog-gone-good window bags (and it's a real hoot!).

As shown below after a day like that (x 4 shooters), it's always a hit when gassing up for the trip home when the gas jockey sees spent brass spill out when a truck door is opened up.

Clearing the brass out of the defroster vents is always fun later too. NOT!

I've never fired that many CF rounds in a single day, not sure I'd want to. But when the rats are out in abundance, sometimes it's hard to put the rifle away.....as seen from my bench last season....

There's just sumthin' about a target-rich environment!

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 03-27-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:05 PM

Default Ground squirrel hunting

I know, for me anyway, when I reach around the 200 mark in a morning of shooting, it is plenty good. To sit there any longer and keep popping them, becomes a bore, even if I enjoy (sic) watching them go airborne.
So for me to go a 1000 in a day, is too often and too quick to be shooting, no matter.
But that is just my opinion. I enjoy a 200 round morning, then sit back, enjoy the view and a cup of coffee/donut then pack up, for another day. I guess I want too keep it fun and not let it become a blood quest.

( But don't take this wrong, I am not faulting anyone that wants to fire a thousand or more in any given day.) Bill K
Old 03-27-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I know, for me anyway, when I reach around the 200 mark in a morning of shooting, it is plenty good. To sit there any longer and keep popping them, becomes a bore, even if I enjoy (sic) watching them go airborne.
So for me to go a 1000 in a day, is too often and too quick to be shooting, no matter.
But that is just my opinion. I enjoy a 200 round morning, then sit back, enjoy the view and a cup of coffee/donut then pack up, for another day. I guess I want too keep it fun and not let it become a blood quest.

( But don't take this wrong, I am not faulting anyone that wants to fire a thousand or more in any given day.) Bill K

Most I've fired in a day was 400 rounds, could have kept going but got "tired out". This was with my .17 WSM contender carbine.

It was "fun", but I'm with Bill............

I really enjoy the 150 to 200 round (Half Days).

But, heck, do what you like and what makes you happy. That is just what I enjoy.

I think that's also why I really enjoy shooting "Diggers" in the mountains, more fun to me even though I usually only kill 50 or less in a day.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
I think that's also why I really enjoy shooting "Diggers" in the mountains, more fun to me even though I usually only kill 50 or less in a day.
Same here for cruising through the junipers in the early morning for rock chucks. I never shoot more than six or eight in a morning, but it's about the most fun I have with a rifle.

Anytime I shoot 300~ rounds of CF from the bench at Skippy, I've had a good day indeed and I'm ready to put the rifle away.....even though at times it's hard to do.