Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-04-2020, 06:41 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwk View Post
i guess it depends on what one’s definition of accurate is. If one is content with 1-1 1/2 inch groups at a hundred yards, then it won’t be a problem. If one wants to make holes touch, then the current brass offerings, short of what i mentioned above, won’t work. At least they didn’t for me, and believe me i tried.
:Ahhhh...truth for one isn't necessarily truth for everyone.

That said.....old forum members here have always agreed that 5" @ 50.yards is good enough....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 01-04-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:41 PM

Been sitting here reading the mail for a while, and my experience runs similar to Bill K's comments. Prep your brass properly and both the 17M4 and 221FB are accurate, typically 0.3 or 0.4 MOA. The 17M4 is a L461 with a heavy PacNor barrel. All my brass for my 221FB and my 17M4 is Remington 221FB, that is at least 10-15 years old. The 17M4 was formed from 221FB using Redding form dies, started with 500+ rounds, and haven't had to form any more yet. The 221FB rifles are a Cooper M21 and a CZ527 American and have at least 500 each rounds each segregated to the rifle and are neck sized only, and get annealed when needed. That's what has worked for me.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:07 PM

Found no need to neck turn in a std SAAMI chamber using Lapua 221FB, and its cheaper than Nosler. The 223 prepped brass turned out to be a disaster for me. I'll stick with the Lapua 221FB option in the future.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
:Ahhhh...truth for one isn't necessarily truth for everyone.

That said.....old forum members here have always agreed that 5" @ 50.yards is good enough....

-BCB
We all have different expectations. I bought the 17 caliber Cooper because of the Jewell trigger, and boy is it nice set at 2 oz. I couldn’t let that gun shoot the MOA groups I was getting with RP brass, so I jumped all in and there I was.

Didn’t you also have a Jewell trigger Cooper?
Old 01-04-2020, 08:46 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
We all have different expectations. I bought the 17 caliber Cooper because of the Jewell trigger, and boy is it nice set at 2 oz. I couldn’t let that gun shoot the MOA groups I was getting with RP brass, so I jumped all in and there I was.

Didn’t you also have a Jewell trigger Cooper?
"We all have different expectations...." I like the ring that has.........

I have several Coopers but I don't like 2 oz. triggers on a hunting rifle. Even if all I'm hunting is PD's from a portable bench.

Is 5" at 50 yards an expectation.......??

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
"We all have different expectations...." I like the ring that has.........

I have several Coopers but I don't like 2 oz. triggers on a hunting rifle. Even if all I'm hunting is PD's from a portable bench.

Is 5" at 50 yards an expectation.......??

-BCB
I guess if one is hunting elephants, 5” is a pretty good expectation. Since the ground rats around are getting scarce, I have taken up a new quary. Flies that land on your paper target. You can see where you hit them by the blood/guts splatter.

I don’t hunt with rifles that have 2 oz. triggers, but they cannot be beat for work from a bench.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:38 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
I guess if one is hunting elephants, 5” is a pretty good expectation. Since the ground rats around are getting scarce, I have taken up a new quary. Flies that land on your paper target. You can see where you hit them by the blood/guts splatter.

I don’t hunt with rifles that have 2 oz. triggers, but they cannot be beat for work from a bench.
You're slowly becoming my new idol.

-BCB

Old 01-04-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M595NUT View Post
Respectfully have to disagree with your posts about Fireball accuracy and lack of quality brass offerings.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/loadi...lem-100ct.html

Not only good quality, it’s quite affordable and eligible for an extra 20% “2020” rebate currently.

This aside, I have previously sized down Nosler and Lapua 221 brass, shot factory R/P 17 Fireball brass, and turned necks as well as made plenty out of 223 brass. All shot WELL under your experiences with group size.

In regards to the OP, sounds like you may have reached a decision with a CZ action. If you do decide Remington 700, I would suggest the Sako Extractor option. Good luck with your decision and don’t be afraid of the 17 Fireball. The 22 version is a delight, the 20 version (Vartarg) has a nearly cult following, and I believe you’ll find the 17 version is a great choice also. My rifle loves 20 grain V Max and H4198.
No decision yet. Talked to a gunsmith about my proposed project and he mentioned it’s certainly doable on a 527 action. He mentioned that he’s done a couple on the Howa mini action too. He’s used the 300 blackout barreled actions from Brownells since they’re a fireball based case with the m-16 style extractor and they’re pretty inexpesive. The only thing I don’t like about it is the magazine setup. So there’s a few different options. I’m not in a real hurry as I have a 17 hornet and 17 Remington in the stable already.

Keep the discussion coming! I did pick up 500 pcs of the Nosler brass already. At $32/100 it’s a pretty good deal. I can’t vouch for its quality in 17 Fireball; but I’ve had really good luck with it in a few other calibers.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:56 PM

I'm settling in with 2 fingers of Bookers, perhaps I'll learn the secrets of the 17 Fireball
Old 01-04-2020, 11:56 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
I guess it depends on what one’s definition of accurate is. If one is content with 1-1 1/2 inch groups at a hundred yards, then it won’t be a problem. If one wants to make holes touch, then the current brass offerings, short of what I mentioned above, won’t work. At least they didn’t for me, and believe me I tried.
That has not been my experience.........