Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 PM

Default Only one "legal" conversion to c/f...

Steve Schroeder has the only patent on a two-piece bolt conversion to centerfire. I suspect that's why Craig got out of the conversion business and why the Certech site has nothing to say about it. The Calhoon conversion would also be illegal. I have a Craig conversion and a Schroeder too. Wouldn't use the Schroeder conversion on the tube-feed version as you may have to bend a little metal. Other than that the Schroeder conversion is beautiful. Hope to be shooting mine shortly. Love the Schroeder brass.

Glenn
Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 PM

Default Long live the 5mm!!!!

This is great news.I had always hoped someone would give new life to the 5mm.
I have a neat little Contender that will love that stuff.
Matt
Old 01-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Supporting Member

Default New 5mm mag. ammo available!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool! Only 36 years to late to help me out.
$27.00?? plus tax, plus freight?? They are on drugs. Figuring 7 shots per case I can load my .17 Killer Bee that shoots a 32 grainer at near 3,800fps for $11.57 for 50 rounds or $23.14 per hundred here in my hand. I think the 5MM mag is forever a fond and bygone memory for me.
I'm sure glad I bought boo-coo .17 HMR ammo when it was $7.42 a box.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:20 AM

I have one of the CF Remington 581 conversions (the illegal Cahhoon type) to 22 Hornet nearly complete, it is fairly easy, mount the barrel first and then cut the bolt to the proper length for headspace. The extractor is the hardest part, mine will work out as a two shot. I have a .14 project in work on an offset barrel Handi rifle, I was going to neck down 17 HMR ammo, but now I am thinking I will go with the 5MM Remington mag case, that should get a 12 gr 14cal bullet up to some impressive speeds. Larry
Old 01-28-2008, 02:01 AM
Supporting Member

Well three cheers for someone to do what Remington didn’t have the guts (or brains) to do…

I’m in for at least 2 contender barrels if not 3…. (Gary in Illinois, I like how you think!!! I have all kinds of ideals first one will be the 20 MINK!!!! YIPEEEEE)

While I am not a big rimfire nut and am also set up to reload the 5mm Mag centerfire I am hoping the price of the rimfire ammo will be closer to HMR prices. I will however purchase rimfire ammo to support them and also will be interested in seeing a side by side comparison of it and the 17 HMR and also the 5mm Mag centerfire.

Quote:
The Centurion 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum is now the hardest hitting Rimfire ever produced!

and

30 grain hollow-point bullet, Centurion 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum zips along at an incredible 2,300 feet per second at the muzzle. The results of the new 30 grain HP, 5mm bullet impacting a target are devastating.
If this thing hits anywhere close to how hard my 5mm Mag centerfire hits and also has the accuracy it will be a sure winner!!!

I see it as a huge plus for all of us contender owners who will be able to shoot it as a rimfire and also a centerfire!!!!

This is great news!!! Thanks!!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:17 AM

a friend just paid over 13.00 for a box of 17 HMR ammo, so 27.00 isn't far fetched considering the low production the 5mm will have.
did you ever ask your self why 28 ga shotgun shells sells for 3-4 times what 12 ga does, they are only half the size of the 12 ga., it's all about production volume.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:06 AM
Supporting Member

I had hoped to get this to Jim for posting, but he appears MIA.

Hopefully, there'll be a more technical write up in the near future that (actually) would be a better fit for the crowd here...

5mm RRM is back!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:53 AM

This is truly good news. As you are all aware we have had a devil of a time keeping up with the orders for the 5MM Craig this past year. After we got finely got our cnc lathe fixed we had to look at our business and make some decisions. The cost of keep our equipment going had not been cheap and what had started as a hobby and then a part time business was now taking more hours per week than my day job. Life was getting to be a lot less fun.

An other product that we created suddenly caught the attention of the military and I suddenly was traveling a lot. I decided to retire from a 20 year career with the State of Washington and to make the shop our only job. We bet everything that we could make this thing work. Fortunalty we have other product lines than the 5MM Craig and those have been supporting our 5MM business as we struggled to balance life and $$. We love the 5MM Craig and the great people that we have met supporting this cartridge.

We have had many back orders to fill and I spent a lot of time trying to develop a drawn 5MM Centerfire cartridge that would lower the cost of shooting the 5MM Craig and allow us some profit. If I apply our shop rate to the cost of the cartridges, we lose about $2.15 per case. I sneak the production of the cases in between other jobs and tell my self that I am just keeping the machines running when they would be idle, however we have had to put my wife Ardis on the lathe to try to keep things flowing through the shop. The price of brass just keeps climbing and all those custom case manufacturers who wanted to makes cases for us a couple years ago are all busy with the war effort.

I made a promise to our shooters that I would not let the 5MM die and we won't, but with these new cartridges it should take the pressure off I hope.

We will be contacting all the people who have orders with us to see what they would like to do as soon as we get back from the SHOT Show. We will continue to produce reloading dies, shell holders, funnels, Encore and Contender barrels as well as rebarrel the 591 and 592 actions with Shilen barrels. For those that have converted to centerfire I will continue to support you and to work on the new cases as I think that the 5MM centerfire is a very interesting cartridge to shoot and modify. I hope you will also. I will look at producing a rimfire bolt head for those that want to convert back to the rimfire version.

If you are at the SHOT Show stop by booth 27112 and say hello.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON

Last edited by Eagle_view; 01-28-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:28 AM
Supporting Member

Lowell,

I look forward to swinging by your booth and talking with you.

Tim M.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:47 AM

You guys do realize that this might now be the beginning of a whole slew of NEWLY MANUFACTURED 5MM FIREARMS.

It there is any enthusiasm at all, the manufacturers will jump on the wagon and start making a bolt action rifle for it. Then, other ammo manufacturers will follow suit. I suspect within a couple of years we are liable to see just as many 5mm rifle choices at the stores as their is 17HMR's.

I can patiently wait a year or two more. It's been over 25 years that I've already been waiting! What's another 1 or 2?