Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-29-2008, 02:44 AM
Supporting Member

a few more 5mm Mag pics..

10” Contender barrel

The grip cap (is really cool)

Plain old fashion fun, and the 5mm will make a great pistol round.... Ray has already mentored me about converting my Ruger convertible....PD
Old 01-29-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
........ Since no one will ever agree on whether the 22mag and 17HMR are enough for coyotes at 100yds or less. Is the 5mm mag supposed to be the cure for the rimfire short comings? It will never kill off the 22mag or the 17HMR, but it may open a new door that will elevate their performance also.

Qaz

Yes it is the cure. The 17HMR is just too light at 100 yards.....and trying to get the 22 magnum to deliver sub MOA at 100 yards was one of the most frustrating endeavors I had ever attempted. The 22 mag chambers and barrel twists that most factories currently use aren't worth a flip for anything other then 1 1/2" groups. (No, I'm not going to spend $1,000 on an Annie to see if it might shoot better) I went so far as to reloading the $14 a box 22 magnum cartridges to deliver 5 shot 1/4" groups at 50 yards off of a rifle rest, but could never get consistant accuracy at 100 yards. Let's not even talk about trying to shoot it at 150 yards! I'll never buy another 22 mag in my life!

However, I CAN ATTEST TO THE FOND MEMORIES FROM 25 YEARS AGO OF HAVING READILLY SHOT 3/4" MOA groups with my then cheap $69 Remington 5mm rifle, off of a sand bag and cheap .22 Bushnell scope.

If this new ammo delivers the same kind of performance, then the 5mm has a new longer lasting future. However, they will need to eventually bring the price of the ammo down to about the same as the 17HMR.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:16 AM
Supporting Member

+1 to everything GW said....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-29-2008, 03:59 AM

Default 5mm

Guy's don't take me wrong, I never want to see the 17 HMR or the 17 mach 2 go away, I just think that if they will bring out some modern rifles and load up a plastic tiped bullet to go along with the SP that they are releasing the 5mm can and will doo everything plus more than the current 17 HMR. I never want to see any small cal go away, and really hope someday soon their will be a 20 Fireball to go along with the 17 Fireball, I have bought and sold about 5 17 HMR's since they have been out (just keep on finding reasons I don't need it) but everytime I sell one it dont't take me long to start missing shooting them that I find another to buy. It is a obsession on my part but for many 1 rifle 1 scope and one lot of ammo will be more reasonable and the 5 mm mag with SP bullets for small game and the rimfire only coyote guys and then another plastic tip 27-30 gr. bullet at about 2400-2500 fps would be great for crows and other small varmints. This is just my opinion and that don't mean alot but I for one Have bought 3 Model 591M Remington rifles over the last 3 years (really can't explain why) and have just started shooting the centerfire conversion on one of them (love it) and will buy ammo if they can make it for less than $15 per 50 rounds, if they can't I will probaly go ahead and order 2 more Schroeder bolt heads for the other 2 rifles. Nelson
Old 01-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Supporting Member

Nelson I think the real limiting factor is price of ammo. Using again 7 shots per case (duck soup) with the components I have stored on hand (fair amount ). I can load and shoot 20 or 25 grain V-Max's in my .17 Ackley Hornet for $19.15 per hundred.
Granted that's cause I've stocked up on things in a more reasonable time but I'm not the only one I'm sure. Bottom line that's $9.58 per 50 on 3,800fps 20 grainers or 3,600fps on 25 grainers. As to performance it blows the rim fires off the map.
I think MarinePMI is all over it my friend. You and I see the nostalgia, the something different factor, The manufacturers see these $$$$...PERIOD!!
The weekend shooter that wants to buy a box of rimfire and go pop a few gophers is interested largely in what's cheapest. Guy's like us want raw performance and if we can trade our hobby time to break even on cost and end up with 4 times the performance for something we made ourself ??? See what I'm saying?
I think the rising cost of components, labor, marketing, etc are fixing to put a stake in the heart of the high performance rim fire market.
Around here a good day hunting gophers in the spring might well be a 400 to 600 round day. At 500 rounds times $15.00 a box that's a Yard and a Half a day huntin gophers + gas and extras. Momma ain't gonna like it.
That's the ugly economics but it's the real deal.
I think the rank and file will continue as decades past with a 10-.22 mounted with a Bushnell SportChief 3X9 and an $8.99 brick of American Eagle .22LR HP's with another brick as back up.

As has been said this is a real tough market to break into.

As for me I'm real glad I totally ignored those calling guys like me "scurrilous hoarders" in the HMR shortage when Mid South would get in a bunch at $7.42 a box so you'd order 3 or 4 cases. They seemed to feel the thing to do is wait till the day before your going shooting and buy a box or two.
Not this cat, I was a 592 owner. I know that feeling ya get when the factory says "Bullets???" "You Don't need no stinking Bullets"!!! Fortunately I'm blessed with an understanding wife and a propensity for stocking up at sales. See, I did learn something from my 592 experience. I'd even pay the $82.95 it seems I paid for it new to have it back .
Seriously, I too hope Centurion does well and can if nothing else make a market for themselves supplying those with the arms and no ammo. Good on em!

Last edited by montdoug; 01-29-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Supporting Member

Does anyone know if there are any gun manufacturers actually tooling up to make complete 5mm rifles? It would be nice if one of the big ammo makers (CCI) decided to also come out with the 5mm -- that might start a lowering in the 5mm price per box.