Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-19-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Very good looking work Joe. What extractor are you using? I've never owned one of these rifles , is that factory checking or did you recut it? Like the name.
That's a factory 591 stock that happened to be an early walnut stock. My good friend who is consequently a gunsmith did the checkering on it for me. And the bolt head I made I used a mini sako extractor from ptg, an ar15 firing pin that is cut down and an ar15 plunger ejector.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:57 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks Joe, looking forward to seeing it completed. Again a good job.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejo View Post
That's a factory 591 stock that happened to be an early walnut stock. My good friend who is consequently a gunsmith did the checkering on it for me. And the bolt head I made I used a mini sako extractor from ptg, an ar15 firing pin that is cut down and an ar15 plunger ejector.
I have an action sitting on my shelf for a similar conversion. Any chance you have dimensional drawings and a few more pictures of your project? I'd love to have a set handy when I get inspired and can spend some time in the shop.

John
Old 02-19-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
If anyone knows of a 30 carbine single stack magazine lmk. The only one I can think of is a marlin model 62. I need something I can modify....my attempt just isn't going to work properly.....I think.
The AMT AutoMag III used a 8 round 30 carbine magazine, but if it were me I'd cut a 32ACP magazine lengthwise and extend the width to your needs. A new follower and box spring would be needed, but given the short box length a couple captivated coil springs could be made to work.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:30 PM

Smile

Quote:
If anyone knows of a 30 carbine single stack magazine lmk. The only one I can think of is a marlin model 62. I need something I can modify....my attempt just isn't going to work properly.....I think.
A Brno ZKW465 or one of the CZ magazines for 22 Hornet can be opened up to take the 30 carbine case, I had a Brno ZKW465 that had been successfully converted to 5.7 Johnson, went from 5 shot to 4, but that didnt matter. It was a rough conversion by the previous owner and I believe that they opened the internal size of the magazine by inserting a steel billet and hammering it so the internal ribs were flattened out to the wider size.

Maybe you could look at that or someway of fitting a ZKW/CZ hornet magazine.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:45 PM

Camel and johnly, both good suggestions for the magazine! I may head in one of those directions.

Pm me an email and I'll scan some dimension drawing and send them to you. They are more of a guide and no dimensions are actually set in stone. It's kinda a do what you want project.

Anything specific you want to see closer?
Old 03-03-2021, 07:24 PM

Just updating this as I'm looking for brass in 19 badger, 20 garin or anything close. 17 badger, 6mm garin 17 garin......50-100 pcs

Anyone that can help this project along lmk
Old 06-02-2021, 11:44 PM

Best of luck finding a new round for that little Remington rifle. I bet the action will handle your plans once you work out the details.

I have no machining skills, so about 20 years ago or so I bought two Schroeder centerfire bolt heads for my 591 and 592 5mm Remingtons. Back then, there were no new 5mm rimfire rounds available on the market, so going to centerfire seemed the way to go. I've had 5mm Remingtons since they were introduced in 1970, and the performance of that little round and their rifles suit my needs perfectly.

I'm happy I made the centerfire conversions, since these little rifles have been shooting well all these years, and still do today. In fact, I had two 10-year-old grandsons reloading for the little rifles last month; each one loaded 50 rounds for the two rifles. Then, they used their reloads at 90 yard targets to great effect. Both rifles have 12X scopes on them for use on crows out to 150 yards or so. They do get that job done very well.

One of the advantages about the Schroeder bolt heads is that you can save the original rimfire bolt heads for rimfire rounds. All it takes is removing a pin to change them out. Although I'd never go back to shooting rimfires, I can if I wanted to. But my centerfire rounds using the Schroeder cases made from 22 Hornet parent cases are working way too good for me to ever consider rimfire again.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:08 PM

Well its time for a little updates.....

I eventually got in touch with Paul garin and bought a reamer and a set of dies for 20 garin. After about 80 thousands of clambering the reamer exploded and wasn't able to source another from Paul. So I abandoned the 20 garin clambering. I found an old 20/22 spitfire reamer and after cleaning up the mess in the chamber it was ran in with no issues. The gun was polished and blued but apparently the barrel is some low grade stainless....ugh this gun is a non stop battle. Anyway it took on kinda rust brown color so I said fine. I had no source for a reloading die without some fired brass so I took 3 pcs of 19 badger and literally forced them into the chamber with a rubber mallet and pulled them out, loaded and fire formed them. Those are off to get a die made.

After all this hassle I'll probably take this rifle to the garden for a tomato stake..haha. ive learned to love to hate it.

It's officially called 20 junkyard. I kept the old 5mm magnum grip cap as a reminder where it started.

All.i have left is the spring steel 2 shot follower and cover plate for the bottom metal.

It shot without exploding tho...so there's that.

Last edited by joejo; 06-20-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:47 PM

Keep on keeping on.

That little rifle is aching to become relevant again with a round that it can love.