Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-24-2018, 09:34 PM

Default What would you do with this rifle?

Some time ago I bought a Winchester 54 22 Hornet. I was told it hadn't been shot in an extremely long time, and after I received it I found out why. The bolt didn't match the receiver and the headspace was too short to close on a round. Since I found I couldn't shoot it, I just put in the back of the safe for the past several years myself.

The bluing is good, the bore looks great, the rear bridge has not been drilled and tapped but it does have scope blocks on the barrel and front bridge of the receiver.

I'm thinking my options are:
1. Get the barrel set back a thread or two and have the chamber re-cut in the original 22 Hornet.

2. Get the barrel set back a thread or two and re-chamber to 22 K Hornet.

3. Leave the barrel blocks and use a Litschert I have laying around.

4. Get a single hole drilled in the rear bridge so I can mount a single piece base and run a modern scope. I'd also have to get the bolt modified and bent to run a modern scope.

Which route would you go? And who would you get to do the work?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:12 PM

Default What would you do with this rifle ?

I would contact either Bob Green, York, PA or others like Adam Bentley or L. Sherm (Both post on site) have them set it back, re-chamber to 22 K Hornet and fit the action into shape/working order, then go have fun with it on various critters. Bill K
Old 02-25-2018, 12:48 AM

If the headspace is short you should be able to run a reamer in and chamber it so the go guage closes.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:08 AM

Is there any possibility to cut a new face onto the bolt, that way it will save having to do a re-chamber and re-thread ? That will keep the barrel in original state.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:10 AM
Supporting Member

TackDriver, since they said it had been shot , have you made a chamber cast? Is a Hornet rim tight or loose in the bolt face. Some of those were rechambered to the 22 Lovell and that has a .374 rim dia like the 222. In Landis book he talks about a shorten case. Is the barrel roll stamped Winchester? There should be a date on the bottom of the barrel under the chamber. If it's a 54 then I'd guess the date would be earlier than 37 since my 70, a 5 digit, is dated 37.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:50 AM

TD,

I got to thinking about how many 54 hornets I have seen over my tenure, thinking here a bit.....(tis hard on me)........I only recall two and I shoulda have bought one of them really..... I have seen dozens of 70's in hornets and upscaled 222's; just thought kinda odd about hornets in 54 or 70. To me the 54 hornet is not that prevalent in my woods fwiw.

If it was mine:

I would try to keep the originality of the rifle intact. I would not update to a modern scope unless that was really on my mind etc. Sounds like you have a vintage scope that would work ok. All in the eye of the beholder I reckon.

I would try by whatever means to figure out what specifically I had, kinda obvious observation but all I got from here. Is it truly a 22 hornet chamber that is indeed short? Is the bolt face a hornet parameter? Ray's comment about such is right on to me, the chamber cast will tell more about the parameters of the barrel chamber itself.

If I was going to think of having the barrel off the action, I would soak the threads for a while with a penetrating oil, like Kroil. Then use tooling that fitted the barrel(tapered aluminum or brass barrel bushings for the specialized vise) and an action wrench that fitted the 54 action on the outside correctly. Rosin, masking tape, and some lead/brass shims helps out keeping things........original sorta speak.........most times anyway.

I never thought about the 22/3000 or the siblings thereof, but with preowned firearms, the sky is the limit as to abbynormalities. Parts are swapped, modified, etc etc before you saw it; just the way it sometimes is.

If indeed, a short real SAAMI type hornet chambering, then the hornet reamer or the khornet could be considered for reaming update. The Khornet sometimes is reamed by hand with the action connected to the barrel, but most of the fussier guys will remove the barrel and line up in their lathe; just the way they were taught I reckon. Usually an K update is done without barrel setback, of course, depending on the chamber quality to start with.

I have seen 70's K'd and worked ok, shot well with their slow twist with the right bullets, and fed from the magazine. i cannot offer nothing on the K'ing of the 54, as I am limited in background on 54's; but would take a flying leap and say.....probably(nice word huh?) would be ok. Your working smith will guide you on such things, rather than listening to heresay by this poster.

The smith looksee and cast will help define the situation. Headspace is only one consideration for proper/safe breeching of a weapon, you or your smith will have such knowledge and working abilities I am sure.

The hornets and Khornets, even 17's; are a hoot in a full sized Winchester rifle. I have only experienced the 70, but cannot imagine the 54 would be any less. The bolt movement(old style lift) and trigger might be a generation earlier, but just have to plan around those little things........and let the fun begin...
Old 02-25-2018, 09:16 PM

I'm fairly certain it hasn't been rechambered. I've tried loading a round and the bolt is just shy of closing.

I like the idea of possibly having the bolt face set back to gain the headspace I need. That way everything stays closer to original.

The one other thing to note is that it came in an ugly Bishop stock. I've already picked up a used stock from ebay, but it's missing the grip cap and is well worn.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:09 PM

Tackdriver,

I may be out of line here, in the realm of valuation of old Winchesters...But, if you have determined the bolt is not original to the rifle, The valuation of the gun in maintaining its originality, is already out the door.

I would have a competent GS remove the barrel and properly rechamber to a K chambering, drill for better scope mounting, and have the bolt addressed for proper scope acceptance. Make it the rifle you envision for a shooter to use and enjoy it. LIFE'S SHORT!

If the work is done well, the rifle will hold as much value as it holds now, with the mis-matched bolt. Worrying about any further reduction in value, will only occur if the work you have done, does not respect the rifle and is done poorly.

Just My Humble Thoughts....

Bill
Old 02-27-2018, 07:49 PM

"I've tried loading a round and the bolt is just shy of closing."

As it sounds like this is an "early" gun is it possible that it has a .223 barrel? If so, and depending on what "loaded round", and perhaps a modest throat could that be just enough interference to make it just shy of closing?

If you haven't already you might try chambering just a full length sized unloaded Hornet case. Can't hurt, and if it's a 16 twist .223 bbl you may rethink the project direction.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:29 PM

Sierra still lists 0.223" (in addition to the 0.224") diameter 40 and 45 gr Hornet bullets, in case that is the issue.