Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 01-21-2018, 03:56 AM

I have shot the Berger 55 gr in a 20 BR in the past with a Hart 9 twist barrel and they did real well. Shot several Groundhogs over 600 yards with this combo
Old 01-21-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillySniper View Post
I have shot the Berger 55 gr in a 20 BR in the past with a Hart 9 twist barrel and they did real well. Shot several Groundhogs over 600 yards with this combo
Wow! I'm thinking groundhogs are a wee bit bigger than our little Richarson ground squirrels (gophers) but very impressive none the less. That's pretty tight shooting. Unfortunately (?) there are no gophers close to me, I have to travel to find some. My home range has steel hung out to 400 yards and my heavy barrel is ringing the 4" gong at 400 10/10 times. Have never shot groups out to there. By the time I get everything else accomplished that I want it seems like I just want to hear the ring for a bit. And it seems that the coyotes don't come in so close except for at night now..
Old 04-09-2018, 11:51 AM

Summertime is almost here and the 20 Vartarg will have to work on some Groundhogs!
Old 04-09-2018, 01:23 PM
Supporting Member

Thinking back to my squirrel shooting days, you have to have good equipment AND be a good shot to hit ground squirrels at distance. Never shot a ground hog but a bigger target makes things a little easier.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dan Brothers Send a message via MSN to Dan Brothers Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Brothers

Well... I have to admit that I am a 20 VarTarg LOVER and haven't even fired mine at a target it...but I will later this week. I bought a 20 vt chambered Shilen 12 tw barrel... a savage 12 target receiver(left port) action... and a Boyd Stock from members on this site and finally got it all together. It's a TIGHT NECK...224... tighter than I THINK I want, but it will work for now... the next barrel will probably be a no-turn .232. This one is a single shot, but eventually I want a CZ repeater walking rifle. I am also picking up a savage 12 FV 204 ruger from Cabelas this week for the purpose of turning it into a 20 VT. Thinking about selling this barrel New-Un-shot, and adding some more money and buying a custom chambered 20 vt barrel for it. I already have a couple of 204 rifles and don't need another one, but only bought it because of the sale price and the caliber change ability. I already own a 20-250AI that shoot the 55 bergers very accurate at long ranges, so I'm loving the smaller 20's now... I even want to eventually get Hillbilly to make me a 20 Squirrel as well... that Guy can get you hooked on stuff for sure...WOW. I'm wanting to take my VT on a PD/Ground Squirrel traveling around trip out West pretty soon, but my ONLY draw back is that I'm more of a hunter instead of a target shooter. Ground Hogs are a little more like hunting, while the PD's are more like targets... BUT... I will do both if possible. I use to Bow Hunter GHogs in Wytheville, VA back during the days when I Co-Produced Quest Hunting Video Productions, and have many fond successful memories that make me want to go back up there for some long range GHogs.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:02 PM

Dan, I just came back from a couple days of shooting Ghogs with my 20 vt. It was pretty windy but I stuck with it and my 2 longest shots 446 and 512 yds with 32gr zmax bullets.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:36 PM

The 20 Vartarg is Amazing and can reach out way farther than most will believe.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:34 AM

I been using a .234 Neck .040 freebore reamer with great results using the lapua 221 fireball brass. The 20 Vartarg is my all Time Favorite Small caliber. It amazes me every time i take it out in the field!
Old 07-31-2018, 01:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dan Brothers Send a message via MSN to Dan Brothers Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Brothers

Hey HillybillySniper... glad to see you posting on this thread and keeping it alive, because the 20VT is well worth it. Let me know if you have any extra Ghog targets, because my 20VT has not tasted fur yet... and you are a short drive from Santee, SC. I can trade you some night time bowfishing for catfish or even some wild hog hunting.

I had big plans on taking my VT our West this last June for squirrels and Pdogs, but got side tracked with a trip to Alaska for three weeks of fishing... but that fell through at the last minute. So I'm twiddling my thumbs... thinking about what targets to shoot...LOL.

I've been thinking about going back out West this Oct-Nov for coyotes... how do you think the 20VT 32gr would do on coyotes... Great... I'm sure. Have you shot any coyotes with this caliber?

Thanks...Dan
Old 07-31-2018, 03:18 PM

You would be way better off using the 35gr Berger for coyotes. Save your 32's for the 'rodent class' targets.