Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 PM

Default I wasn't sure where to stick this so........

For the 2.223 people who might recall my handle..........I DIDN'T DIE, but danged if I didn't wonder for awhile.

A tad more than 3 years since I logged in .....I think.
If wondering who this round head is typing.....a few might recall the 350Jr wildcat, a short 35 bore wildcat I created years back to fit in the regs that (then.....not now) Indiana deer rifle rounds allowed.

Anyway, still kickin'. Older, more aches and pains, (doctors are going to retire off me.....I just know it!) FAT, but the docs are giving me hope and there is a light in the end of the tunnel that's be SO dark for SO long.

Things got "ugly" for awhile physically and financially........and I'm ashamed now that my faith did falter before the good Lord reminded me he would not leave me, as promised.

Financially I'll never be rich but some cards got dealt that took me from about to be homeless, living in a freezing old trailer, often without running water and barely making it...........to a nice country home and almost 4 acres, a running 4x4 Blazer, complete health insurance and enough fixed income I can play a little. And it's all paid for, wanting for nothing much.

Counting still on Him I should be heading back towards something close to healthy by late summer.......but yet I do dread all that it will take.

So......anywho........project guns!!
Talk about starting from scratch! Things got to the point that all loading equipment.......and all firearms........had to go before things turned around.
It was a worse feeling than my divorce!

The good part is I get to shop for equipment as I can. The bad part is I have to pay for it!!!

Not to be held back, another big bore round is in the "planning stages" and some brass was ordered so......no turning back now!

Old and slow, no rush at all, who knows how long it will take but needing something to occupy my mind another 'cat spring to life when I was handed a 35 Whelen round.

"Pretty is as pretty does' I guess, and the Whelen IS a sweet powerhouse.......but the first thing that ran though my head as I held one was "That the Ugliest dang round I've ever seen. Blahhh!! I can build one better (IMO.... )" so, that's the plan.

In the meantime I might get an itch to grab a donor 700 BDL and screw on the SS 7x57mm I dumbed into from a gunshop. The 'smith passed on and the note he had taped to it said "Douglas Air Gauged Premium 7x57" but going to have my local smith slug the chamber...........JIC.
That would be a slick combo.......but the big whammer jammer rounds got into my blood so the wildcat will materialize as I can.

Since Indiana finally got on board with legal rounds being "any thing .243 caliber and above" I could use either on whitetail here now. By fall I'm hoping that is physically an option.

Who knows, as I look at the continuing "good luck" I've been blessed with the past year, thoughts of returning to work no longer seem monumental. I just gotta get some "things" fixed......(and lose a crap-load of weight!)

Anyway, I'M BACK and not much on small bores even if I am kicking myself for selling both my CZ 527 22 Hornets........and still stutter a little when I see one for sale.

I am..........forever.....in the debt to many VERY helpful souls that grace the pages of Saubier.......and I'll hang back and continue to learn by all you fellas ( and ladies?) share with each other.

Wish me luck!
God Bless each and every one, and all those you love.
Steve
Old 04-18-2018, 09:45 PM

Welcome back, Steve! Life sure can be 'interesting', that's for dang sure!!!