Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-15-2018, 01:14 AM

If you have a 6.8, then this makes a lot of sense.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elalto View Post
I have been thinking a lot about the two cartridges, the Nosler is a proprietary cartridge available, so far, only from Nosler. The Valkyrie requires the 6.8 bolt head. Both cartridges have a draw back.

I think that for a light, walk around bolt gun for varmint hunting up to deer/medium game, either one would be great shooting a 6mm bullet. You would be able to shoot 55grn all the way up to 100grn bullets effectively with the same rifle. I have a Mini Mauser begging for a barrel, I just might do it!

Time to decide between the two.....

Marcos (elalto)
in a bolt gun why not just step up to the more common 6ppc? does a mini mauser have the same mag length restrictions as an AR? if not a plain 6x45 seated further out (2.4-2.6") would likely do the same thing.

If you check SAMMI's website Nosler has already submitted specs for the 24 nosler (6mm) I spoke to them about brass a month or so ago and was told it would be late this year early next year. I'm after the brass for a wildcat personally.

JSH 24 Nosler's comming down the line. and Yes I agree having these huge corps backing these cartridges does help them boost sales. Ruger and Federal has been doing this for years and some have stuck around, others not so much.

Extra brass options for new wildcats is always a good thing
Old 04-15-2018, 11:49 AM

30.00 $ / 100 rounds for brass

Last edited by Wile E Steve; 04-15-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:21 PM
Supporting Member

I didn’t even know what it was. I haven’t be keeping up with some if this stuff.

I purchased a 9-twist 5.56 upper a few years ago and just shot it yeasterday with 68 and 75 gr HPs. Although it did copper fouls little bit, I was extremely happy to see it likes the Hornady 75 gr hp bullets.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:24 PM

6PPC and the 6x45/6-223, never could understand why these were never made in a factory cartridge.

If you can't buy ammo, most avoid it any more. Still a fair amount of wildcatters for sure.
Buddy of mine bought a "V" on a Savage built AR platform. He is playing with it shooting factory ammo. I told him I would fool with some load work. Time will tell.

I went into three different gun shops in the last few weeks. Very little Valk ammo, no brass.
However I am having a very hard time not buying 223WSSM brass of ammo! Seems to be falling from the sky. Heck I already have a set of dies for it for so unknown reason.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:57 AM

WSSM brass usually comes at a premium. I sold mine for dirt cheap when I ditched my 25wssm. That rifle is one of 2 that I really lost my arse on. I wish I had kept it to make one of those lil thumpers in 500 b&m short. just for fun.

A .223 wssm throated for 95smk's in a 7 twist barrel could be a fun shooter....

I'd like to do an improved 6x45 for my kids as a first deer rifle and long range rifle. some 105's at 2600 would emulate m118lr external ballistics with less recoil and cost to load.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:32 AM

Have my gunsmith building me a 6MM Creedmoor on a Remington 788 I picked up in 6mm Rem., Brux barrel at 24" is the plan. He's built a 6 CM for his own use in Precision rifle and had that nice nearly new reamer sitting around doing nothing, going with a 7.5 twist so I should be GTG on 87-110gr bullets at least thats what we hope.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:58 PM

I'm building a 6mm Grendel (243 LBC) instead of chasing the Valkyrie. I think the broad range of 6mm bullets will end up being more useful from 55gr Varmint up to 105 Match/Game bullets.

From what I've read, the 6x6.8 is better with lighter bullets (<90gr) and the 6mm Grendel is better with heavies. I would think that would be the case in 224 as well but the results speak for themselves.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:37 PM

I don’t chime in to much on here but lurk excessively. When you read about the Valkyrie it’s a wonder cartridge that has it all. This is some big marketing dollars at play. All the comparison that are made to it are not using the same bullet (that I have seen). Load the same bullet in a 22 Nosler or 22-250 or Swift and Valkyrie looks docile. Granted they don’t fit in an AR platform but I’m a bolt guy.

Where both the creedmore and Valkyrie steal the show and is actually the driving force behind both of them is the quality of match ammo. This is why the 6.5 creedmor gained its reputation.... some brains at hornady we’re like let’s take a 250 savage case neck it up to 6.5 and only offer top notch match ammo. Anything will shoot good and the shooting world will eat it up! Imagine if they had just introduced the creedmore with a Nosler partition and Remington core lok as the only factory loads!!!! It would of lasted a year. Same goes for the Valkyrie. Top grade factory ammo and it’s a wonder cartridge!

It’s hard to say but the factory ammo from both of them is absolutely superb. Shooting the creedmor stuff I was surprised it was literally as accurate as my handloads (granted I didn’t do a ton of load development). What is the point of handloading when you can literally go buy ammo that meets it for almost the same cost?

That being said heck it’s a new cartridge that’s a reason to go get a new rifle! Like us addicts need a reason
Old 04-19-2018, 03:23 PM

I think the great BC race is what spawned this cartridge. the AR's caveat is mag length followed by magazine capacity. seems everyone is after the highest capacity with the greatest ballistics.

the .223 or .243 wssm with 90's and 105's would be about as good as it gets within the confines of the platform. but then you sacrifice capacity and now brass is unobtanium.

with all that being said nobody can complain about more options. and when speaking external ballistics I think the 22's are going to cut in on the 6mm and 6.5's (in this platform) at the end of the day it's all in the math. drive the highest bc bullet as fast as possible and your going to get the best external ballistics.

the 6.8 and Grendel case are about the largest cases that will reliably double stack so given those capacities as a constant going up in caliber yet matching bc or greater= longer/heavier bullets=less useable capacity=less velocity=poorer external ballistics.

now if we throw energy and certain state legal for hunting the variables change.