Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-16-2018, 03:15 AM
Supporting Member

Default Making 22 Jet brass from Starline 360 DW brass

Well I actually started out making 17 Wenzl special brass from the 360 DW brass. Came up a little short in OL but not bad.

Lost a few cases cases in the case mouth area. Luckily I was able to use those ruin pieces of brass for my 22 Jet brass.

I suppose it’d only Bee logical to order a 17 bumble bee sized case incase I should ruin any 22 Jet brass lol

Last edited by GLWenzl; 04-16-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:07 PM

The bumble bee is one of those cartridges that one oughta have, some nostalgia, as well as a niche place in the field of wildcatting. I have a 17 Bumble Bee on a No.1, but kinda a Rodney in the group that needs a 300 mag to dispose of a cricket................but I forge ahead.

I like the old jet and super jet, like most guys bought a good supply of jet brass years ago when it was more around. I have made 256 winchester with 30 Luger and 256 win dies, works ok. Guess oughta try to make Jets from the formed 256 out of the 357 mag. There is a specific RCBS form set for 357 to 22 Jet, but not procured one yet, kinda expensive.........but as one says, wanna play, gotta pay...........somehow. Pondering reaming the extra S&W 53 22lr cylinder to a super jet......as Bowen cylinders kinda went away as far as I know.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:21 PM
Supporting Member

No more talk like that! I don’t need any help coming up with all these good ideas LOL I imagine that those are RCBS dies or a set of dies? It would be interesting to know how many steps they used to bring down this brass to 22 cal
Old 04-16-2018, 11:31 PM

Gary,

My forming set is a RCBS #55000 that takes 218 Bee down to 17 Bumble Bee. It is a four die set(maybe hence the cost), that consists of a form#1, form#2, trim, and ream dies. All are pretty nicely polished internally. Does a pretty good job, and the dies can be used in other instances sometimes. The form die set came with an extended shellholder and one straight chucking reamer.

With my particular brass(wall thickness), I had to purchase another slightly smaller inside neck reamer, a thousandth or two(cannot remember now). These ots die sets rely on the right brass sorta speak, unless one does other operations.

I lost a few cases as a new guy on the block with these dies, but after I got into the recipe with my brass and technique, no more losses during forming. Took me a while to get used to the recoil of the bumble bee; but eventually got there without too much flinching; had to drop down to the 20gr bullet.

I tried to ascertain the specs of these dies for a reamer purchase, but was told it was company info and I would not be allowed that info. So went to Pacific and they took care of me; my No.1 is chambered with that reamer.

I bought some forming/reloading(sizer/seater) for the 17 bumble bee on an auction site preowned. Also got the form and reloading dies for the 17 A&M Bee and oddly have a No.1 in that A&M Bee now. I bought that reamer the same time as the bumble bee reamer purchase. Oddly enough, in my zeal to get stuff, I ended up high bidder on two 17 A&M Bee reloading die sets..........guess one always needs an extra set if one wears out huh?..(kinda neat paperweights)....... a victim of circumstance; for a guy that never sells anything.

I have never paid much detailed attention to what was going on with the forming dies until I did not have neck tension like I wanted at the last step, which was cured with a surplus shop reamer. I suspect that each form die does a bit to the neck as one would surmise.

Of course, this bumble bee deal can be approached from the multi bushing dies that the benchresters offered, with the insidee expander and neck turning in proper perspective.

Last time I looked, the RCBS ots form set was around 300 bucks; hence the preowned purchase of about half that. I reckon that the benchrester special bushing die would have be kinda short........but doable for the home guy with a lathe.

Rick

My reference to the 30 Luger and 256 winchester dies to help make 256 brass for the marlin; are just full length sizing/seating die sets. To go from 256 down to nominal 224 might have a shot at it with the 22 jet or 22 super jet die. I have a nightie that one might need a step between the 256 die and the 22 die, might collapse the case??? I have both die sets for the 22 jet and super jet, might be an experiment to try.............but then one might have to think about reamers. I have the 17 super jet reamer, bought in a fire sale sorta speak; like I need it huh?......just dreams here now; but one never knows.

Last edited by rick w.; 04-16-2018 at 11:37 PM.