Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-26-2020, 12:21 PM

Default 204 Ruger in a 14 -15" barrel

Looking for another barrel for my Contender collection. I prefer the handgun platform with 14-16" barrels. Looking at the 20 cal cartridges.

What can you tell me good or bad about the 204 R in the short barrels.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Old 11-26-2020, 02:26 PM

Default Depends...

Many will say too much of a good thing.I have a friend who had a 20 Tactical in a SP and it was not his favorite.Have you considered the 20VarTarg?
I guess depending on your use it would be ok,perhaps an occasional coyote or rockchuck.
Matt
Old 11-26-2020, 05:31 PM

Muzzle blast and fireball from a short barrel can be overwhelming. I can tolerate 14" in 223, but the 10" in 221FB as too much. The caliber designation '221 Fireball' sure fits it.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Muzzle blast and fireball from a short barrel can be overwhelming. I can tolerate 14" in 223, but the 10" in 221FB as too much. The caliber designation '221 Fireball' sure fits it.
That is why they gave it the added name of FIREBALL, when they first shot it and saw all the flame and blast, it just fit, so they called the round the 221 Fireball, very fitting. Bill K
Old 11-26-2020, 05:57 PM
Supporting Member

Good point

My first Contender pistol, about 85-ish, was a 10" octagon barreled Fireball, and it was a hoot to shoot. Lots of muzzle rise, thunderous report and flash, but the recoil once the bullet was sent downrange was mild compared to a hot 44 magnum revolver.

Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-26-2020, 07:02 PM

I have a 10" octagon TC bbl in 44 Mag also. Incredibly wicked recoil and muzzle rise. I shot it three or four times, and my wrist hurt for more than a week. Leraned that lesson once.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Many will say too much of a good thing.I have a friend who had a 20 Tactical in a SP and it was not his favorite.Have you considered the 20VarTarg?
I guess depending on your use it would be ok,perhaps an occasional coyote or rockchuck.
Matt
Matt
The 20 Var Targ was my first choice for a 20 cal round if I have to get a barrel built. I see 204 Ruger barrels on the auction sites that go for under $200 from time to time.
If it wasn't such an investment for dies and a barrel I would like to do a 20 ??? Bee.
I have a 17 Ackley Bee that gets a lot of hunting time in the groundhog fields. Along with a 17 Squirrel and 17 Hornet. The 22 Hornet is my only option in the 22 class. Then Im 24 cal rich again with a 240 Banshee, two 6mm TCU's, and a 6mm JDJ.
I just got the itch to find something in 20 cal to fill the spot in between the 17s and 24s.

Mike
Old 11-26-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I have a 10" octagon TC bbl in 44 Mag also. Incredibly wicked recoil and muzzle rise. I shot it three or four times, and my wrist hurt for more than a week. Learned that lesson once.
I won't say that I have owned every bbl for the T/C butt I have had and still do owned quite a few and the 44 mag is the MOST uncomfortable to shoot.

Remember U can PUSH a 240 gr bullet down the bore butt is is gonna recoil

Jim
Old 11-26-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I have a 10" octagon TC bbl in 44 Mag also. Incredibly wicked recoil and muzzle rise. I shot it three or four times, and my wrist hurt for more than a week. Learned that lesson once.
I won't say that I have owned every bbl for the T/C butt I have had and still do owned quite a few and the 44 mag is the MOST uncomfortable to shoot.

Jim
Old 11-26-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy View Post

Jim
Set them up with a mag-n-port barrel, like I have on my 375 JDJ, and even those 300 grain solid or expanding bullets are not all that bad to shoot.
44 mag would be even lighter. Bill K