Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-08-2020, 06:31 PM

Default Which .20 caliber?

Greetings all,

thanks to a moderator, I have again access to the forum, which is timely because I have found (another) rifle based on Remington Fireball action. As such, I have been contemplated to acquire it and having the other re-barreled on a .20 caliber. The intended purpose is target shooting and pest control.

I have been contemplating either VarTarg or some variation based on 222 case (20-222, VarTargTurbo) as I have been hoarding brass for both. I have searched for opinions, but it appears that both are liked, namely by the people who own them, so this did not help.

So I was wondering about two issues:

1. Can a variant of the 222 case be built on the FB action? That is, will the action accommodate a magazine for the longer 222?

2. If not, the decision is easy, otherwise, could those of you who have or had both comment on your preference?

Kindest regards,

M
Old 09-08-2020, 07:02 PM

Not sure if the 20 VTT would fit the magazine on the FB magazine, it might. But why not go with the 20 VT and be happy for your first 20 caliber. It is one fine cartridge and will do 90 % of what your want for the shooting your are talking about.
Cases, dies and powders are available from several companies and it is a easy to load cartridge and does not heat up the barrel in sessions of shooting, as fast as many others do.

A good 1/11 twist barrel will serve you well for it also.

And welcome to the fold, looking forward to hearing and seeing ( we love photos) your project and critters taken. Bill K
Old 09-08-2020, 08:59 PM

Default 20 cal

I have a couple 20 VT, great cartridge. That would be my vote.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:20 PM

Default The Things We Wrestle With

Having both, I offer a few comments on each:

The 20 VT won my heart right off the bat, in spite of being a little more labor intensive to form (from LC .223). Given that .221 FB brass is a little hard to come by and expensive, reformed .223 works well. Much of it requires neck turning or reaming

The 20/.222 is easier to make brass for (I never bought a die set for this one, just used .223 and .20 VT dies -- pretty easy) Accuracy potential about the same, uses a little more powder, gets a little more speed, but hey...

Marty at Twisted Barrels chambered my .20/.222, the .20 VT uses a McGowan pre-chambered barrel, both on Savage actions, both are set up for single shot.
You may want to dig a little deeper if whatever you're building is to feed from a magazine.

Welcome aboard. Post often & join a family with a wealth of advice and info.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:22 PM

If length of case is a concern, well even if it isn't, I like the 20 Extreme. Based off the 222 Remington the case is shortened to 1.575". Gives exceptional accuracy with lower pressure. I have not dealt with any of the other 20's available so can not compare. All I know is I've shot gophers (our small central Alberta type not ground hogs) to 300 yards and rung steel at 400 sub moa. A friend has shot gophers at 400 yards+.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:33 PM

Greetings all,

thank you all for your replies. Regretfully, the sale fell through.

What I understood from the replies on another forum, for non-problematic feeding of the short projectiles (FB, VarTarg) a Remington .221 FB action is desirable.

Thus, the I will have to revisit the issue based on acquisition of another (barreled) action/rifle. If it is Remington .221 FB, I will build a VarTarg, if a regular one, I can (1) build 20-222 on the action, (2) build regular 222 and re-barrel the .221 FB to VarTarg, or (3) build 20-222 on the action and re-barrel the .221 FB to VarTarg, which would simplify reloading components (same bullets).

As I mentioned in another thread, i am partial to Remington 700 action because of my preference for two-stage trigger. If anyone has such an (barreled) action and contemplate sale, please let me know.

Kindest regards,

M
Old 09-09-2020, 06:37 PM

Believe Brownells had some Rem 700 actions for sale. Maybe still have some.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:34 AM

One of Dan Thompson's (the great Coyote caller) younger brothers got me started on 20 calibers 10 maybe 12 yrs ago. He has several, all in Cooper rifles. His favorite was and still is the VarTarg with the HeBee a close second. He uses Leupold 20x fine cross hair scopes with triggers set to approx 16oz. Good reloading and measuring equipment. He knows what he's doing.
Anyway, I built a 20 practical which I liked. I was hooked on the 20 for praire dogs mostly.
Since I like experimenting and have a bunch of Norma 222 brass saved up. I decided to have a 20-222 reamer made. All I did was trim off .85 and neck it down, Sent a couple prepped brass in to PTG and had Kiff make a reamer. Simple Simple simple. Redding S-type FL 222 die and a Vickermans seater is what I use. A standard 222 seater will work just fine.
Shooting sub 1/2 moa using the 35 gr Bergers with Exterminator powder. 3950fps. I built 2 using 700 actions. In my opinion the 204 Ruger is obsolete. In fact I had my gunsmith rechamber a Cooper 204 to the 20-222. Same velocity, less powder, cheap brass.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:14 PM

The older I get the less hassle I need sooooooooooooo my choice would be the 204 Ruger

I have owned a 223 Practical and really liked it a few here like the 20/221 seems to me like a lot of work

Good Luck

Jim
Old 09-30-2020, 02:34 PM

"If" I had a Fireball action, I would build a Fireball based round, .221, .20VT or .17FB