Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 08-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Supporting Member

You could get used 4.6x30 brass for about $10-20 per 100, new brass is $33 per 100. The brass quality in USA is great. cannot agree more with you on the barrels, these rounds are easy on the barrels plus zero kick
Old 08-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Supporting Member

Who sells new brass for this??? Thanks
Old 08-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Supporting Member

extreme shock ammo, if you could get a hold of someone
Old 08-14-2012, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the information 17 Varminter. I had forgotten to mention the zero kick in my bolt 5.8. It is just great fun to shoot a cartridge this size.

Charlie
Old 08-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Supporting Member

Old 09-20-2012, 05:14 PM

Did some more "testing " with my 17VHA. Love that round!! These were shot at approx 200yds IIRC..

This tiny case performs WAAAAY better than it should. It's the first rifle I grab now on the prairie.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Supporting Member

gotta say I Love this caliber.... nice looking rifle
Old 07-04-2013, 02:00 PM

Did more testing with the LEJ headstamp brass that I have located. Found a adequate supply, and wanted to see how it would hold up. I dropped down to the Fed200 primers, and 9.0 grs of 300MP. Due to the case being so short, (approx 1.19") I surmised the lighter primers would render more consistency and lower ES. That remains to be seen as the last two testing sessions were too late in the day for my chrony to work.

I simply took two cases out of my stash, ran the one time through my new Redding 17VHA die, to neck them down to .172....through the expander real quick and then cleaned up the necks on my turner. I had reasonable neck tension after turning so just loaded them up from there. I marked them so I could keep them separate, tried to keep the relaoding process the same throughout.

Fed 200's, then 9.0grs of 300MP from my new Harrel's Schuetzen ( which is worth it's weight in gold, btw) and a moly-ed 20gr Varmigeddon . Out to the range we go. I set up two targets, shot each case at it's own individual target to check consistency.

Shot both rounds and then walked back to the house and reloaded them again ....and again......and again..... The beauty of this case is that I simply run it through my Lee Collet die ( custom made) and it's ready to prime and load. No lube, no tumbling, no cleaning, very slick! Each shooting/loading cycle took about 8 mins, if I didn't get sidetracked( phone calls, fixing the mower so momma could keep mowing, etc ) So as you can guess, conditions changed considerably from the start to finish...took me two days, about 5 hrs total to get all 13 shots in.

No annealing, no Fl resizing, just a collet die and reload, for all 13 shots. Not many cases will allow such low maintenance handling...

I measured both cases after each firing. It took 3 firings for the web to expand to chamber size and then it stabilized.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Here are the 2 targets. Remember this is over 2 days, and if you've ever been in Iowa, you know having the same conditions, day to day, just about never happens.

Dime for reference.

You can see the black markings on the extractor groove of the case on the left, it was loaded and shot first in every sequence. It also had a little less neck tension, from the feedback I felt using my Wilson style seater.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:05 PM

Pic of my collet sizing die for those not familiar. The machined shoulder pushes up on the collet and it squeezes the neck providing the required neck tension.

I was very happy with how these cases held up. Didn't lose any tightness in the primer pockets , that I could feel anyway, firing a case 13 times and only sizing the neck is a HUGE bonus for those that reload large numbers of cases for colony varmints ! I was getting some resistance on bolt closure, but not excessive yet. I will FL resize them now, trim if needed, anneal and keep on testing. I will get them checked over the chrony , midday also...guessing 3500fps area.

Hope this answers a few questions for folks considering the best little case going ! Long live the 17VHA!