Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 12-25-2006, 03:28 PM

Default is there any way of making .224 jackets in to .20 cal ones??

HI
Before I ask the local custom bullet maker to do this I want to find out if its even possible.

Can you re-form .224 jackets to .20 caliber jackets??
local bloke cannot secure any .20 cal jackets to be able to make projectiles with.
H has a heap of jackets that he makes .224 40 grain FBHP projectiles with.
I'm wondering if he can re-form them to .20 caliber and make some FBHP long, long ogive with a large hollow point and strong jackets in a 40-45 weight range .20 calibers to use in 1:10 twist barrels.
is it possible
how is it done, what special tools do you need for this?

ETC ETC

I would like an understanding of whats involved in doing this before I go ahead and ask him to make me some.
I understand early .20 Bergers were made from reformed .224 jackets and were very hard and held together well at high impact velocities- like thos capable from the .20 PPC and .20 BR etc

thanks for any info you can help me with.

later
P
Old 12-25-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Jacket drawing

Pat,

I know there are others on the forum with MUCH more experience at this than me but...

Yes you can draw .224 jackets down to .204 using a special jacket drawing die designed for this purpose. The operation is very straight forward - just lube jackets and push through the drawing die. I know both Dave and Richard Corbin have dies specifically for this purpose. I suspect that other suppliers of bullet swaging equipment also have these dies.

In fact, I believe that this is the only way for custom bullet makers to obtain .204 jackets. When ordering some J4 jackets from Berger last week I inquired about buying .204 jackets and was told they did not sell them.

Good luck,
Gary
Old 12-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Board Sponsor

The answer is 100% yes. You can draw them down in a die to .2035 then swage them up to .204 when you add the lead. I'd go with Corbin dies. For the drawing you will be able to use a standard press if you do not have a regular swaging press, but you'll need the swaging press to make the final bullets (adding the lead and forming the point).
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 12-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

As I recall, Russ Lucas used .17 caliber jackets to make .14 caliber bullets, same procedure as others have mentioned here.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Supporting Member

Default .224" jackets are the only game in town....

..if you want to make 20 caliber bullets.

Neither Berger (J-4) or Sierra will sell 20 caliber jackets, but their .224" jackets both work well to draw down for 20 caliber bullets.

I have the draw down die from Dave Corbin and it works very well. Corbin also sells a slightly heavier .224" jacket than the two above, but they are a little pricier than J-4 or Sierra/1K. All three different jackets work well for 20 caiber bullets in the draw down die I have.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 12-28-2006 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-29-2006, 03:02 AM

What lenth/style jackets do I need to get to draw them down so make a 42-47 HPBT with long ogive minimal driving surface projectile.

I wont be doing the work I'll be getting the local cuatom make to do it- but I'll be be supplying thedrawing die and other sies for what I'm after?

thanks

later
P
Old 12-29-2006, 03:51 AM

Default Just a thought....

James Calhoon makes 20's now.He is a good man to talk to and he might just sell you some good 20 jackets.
Matt
Old 01-01-2007, 01:14 AM

If you need jackets for make 20 cal bullets you might want to try useing 22 L.R. brass, i'm not sure of who offered the dies or any other info. I believe i saw the add in the varmint hunter mag. a few years ago..
Old 01-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Supporting Member

Default Vernon Speer liked your idea.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Anderson View Post
If you need jackets for make 20 cal bullets you might want to try useing 22 L.R. brass, i'm not sure of who offered the dies or any other info. I believe i saw the add in the varmint hunter mag. a few years ago..
What you're suggesting, Tim, is how Vernon Speer got started in the bullet making business - making .224" bullets from 22 LR cases. Unfortunately they are not the best bullet jacket material from an accuracy point of view.

On the plus side, there are several very good suppliers of quality .224" jackets that can easily be drawn down for 20 caliber bullets (J-4 and Sierra as examples). Just none that suppy 20 caliber jackets at the present time.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-04-2007, 05:24 AM

Where do I go to actually buy jackets??

How do I find out what types, lengths, types are avail??

I have googles but it hasn't given me any seelers of jackets??

Some links would be great thanks guys

later
p