Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2020, 09:31 PM

Default WTB-Cooper .222

Title says it all. Testing the waters. Looking for a .222 and well.....I'm obsessed with Cooper rifles so it's gotta be a Cooper.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:25 PM
Supporting Member

Does Cooper still make new rifles in small varmint cartridges with nice wood?

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 05-19-2020, 02:39 PM

Yes, they do but the wood is generally not as figured as some earlier rifles were unless you get lucky or pay for an upgrade in the wood. Quality wise IMO their current stock work fit and finish exceeds the earlier rifles.

I believe that First Stop recently had a 222 on the gunsamerica website.

drover
Old 05-19-2020, 03:04 PM

Wood is not as good as it once was. I think AAA today seems like AA of the past. At best AA+ of the past. I try to keep an eye on Guns International and First Stop. But they seem to sell really quick because he prices them right!
Old 05-19-2020, 03:28 PM
Supporting Member

LOL>>> Being a parent to well over a dozen of them in my shooting life, I'm aware of the changes.

I haven't bought a new Cooper in over five years, however, as the wood quality seems to have taken a real tough hit under Hugo and his boys. Today they seem fixated on large caliber rifles for the most part. In addition, I've gone other routes in the past few years to get small caliber shooters that work well also.

Just my opinion..........

PS: To avoid PM's with rock bottom offers to buy "from a buddy", none of my Coopers are for sale.

Quick Stop has always been a good source for Coopers for the past probably 20+ years. Not near today what it used to be when you could go to the basement and look through the piles of Cooper boxes down there to find the one or two that you couldn't live without.......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-19-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:39 PM

Default Coopers

I totally agree that today's Coopers do not have the beautiful wood of the earlier ones that were made when Dan owned the Co

but that is true with just about any other rifle as well, good wood is hard to find without paying as much for the stock as the complete rifle 15 years ago

Most of my early Coopers have very good sticks on them, most are the Varmint Extreme which have the upgraded wood. I have an early 17 Mach IV Varmint with exceptional wood, purchased from a member here who was very active 15 years ago. He said he bought it from Jim Saubier and Dan made it for him.
Tight neck and shoots extremely well
Old 05-19-2020, 06:32 PM

My Model 51 in 222 Remington doesn't have any wood to brag about, but shoots well, so I'll take that tradeoff...………...[IMG][/IMG]