Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-04-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintshooter View Post
You buy a good quality gun so you don't have to "fix" it before you shoot it.
That's what I thought too, but I had to fix my brand new cooper before it would work. It wasn't the bedding though. The M38 receiver is pretty short and stiff, so I don't think the bedding is very critical. I have a ruger 77 VHZ with a long and spindly receiver, that will shoot quite differently based on how I hold it or load the stock.

I was building a comp gun based on a BAT with integrated rail (short and rigid receiver), and after various delays getting things I had just got the barrel chambered and screwed on and I wanted to shoot a match that weekend. I did a quick dremel hack job just to get it in a wood stock and it shot great. Later when I had time I did a nice aluminum pillar/block and epoxy bedding job and it shot exactly the same. The zero didn't even budge.

Last edited by flyrod; 12-04-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:31 PM

I purchased recently a Cooper Varminter(21) with wood stock in 20TAC. My first 20 cal, and first Cooper. I now have a nice example. I plan to pillar bed it.

Years ago we used to skim coat with epoxy the action proper and throught we were the cats. After a while, the skim crushed, and the wood warped; so went the regularity of the rifle sorta speak.

I learned about pillar bedding in my benchrest days. I had two benchrest rifles built, a light and a heavy varmint. Both were synthetic stocks......and pillared with a skim coat in between, recoil lug area built up. I was told then that the pillar job probably would suffice, but if I wanted to go to glue in, the basis of foundation was in place with the previous pillaring.

I started out with a 40x-br in 6x47 and 222; wood factory stocked. Both shot ok, but once pillared, both were consistent and good year to year. So guess that got me on the wagon of pillaring.

I do not think pillars need to be necessarily metal, several guys used fiberglass rod with good success. I think most are aluminum, guess due to weight maybe. Both pillars ought to be the same material though, bolts do not touch etc etc usual stuff.

I am not one to pillar a laminated stock so far, wood is toughened with the resins against crush and moisture, and are heavy enough as is really.

In my state, humidity is a killer at times. No sweat box for rust blue please. I love the look of wood, straight or figured still..........but those stocks are sealed the best I can, and the pillars are there in place. Some woods like the claros are fairly soft and porous in my opinion.

So guess I am a believer in pillaring, no matter whose rifle or who built it for me. Experience, good and bad; over time has lead me to that conclusion along with too big of a torque wrench.............that is gone with the Schwinn finally..............slow learner here.

Last edited by rick w.; 12-04-2018 at 07:41 PM.