Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-12-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinghills View Post
However, I was mildly disappointed to discover that it had been K'ed at some time in its history, making the 22 Hornet Forster Micrometer Seating Die I had bought for it somewhat superfluous.
If you can't return or exchange it, call Forster customer service and ask if they will send you a K-Hornet die chamber for your seater.

https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...t-seater-dies/ Click where it says "Read more..."

https://www.forsterproducts.com/contact-us/ I would call rather than send email or a message.

Last edited by DittoHead; 12-12-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:02 PM
Supporting Member

As rick w. stated, trying to head space the Hornet case off the rim is a futile effort most of the time. The only real practical way, whether Hornet or K-Hornet, is to head space off the case if you hope to salvage cases for reloading numerous times. Unfortunately, the Hornet case design is not really conducive to that either with its gently sloping case shoulder. However, with a false shoulder you can get Hornet cases sized to the rifle chamber and then with judicious adjustment of your sizing die, you can get good case life.

If the rifle were mine, even though fire forming as done above might solve MY problem, I'd still get it checked by a good smith for head space issues and/or other chamber issues.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-12-2018, 09:28 PM

Default Forming K Hornet from factory

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like I will have to bite the bullet, so to speak, and pull the factory loads apart to make an artificial shoulder.
If you plan on keeping the rifle with the K Hornet chambers you are going to need a sizing die in K Hornet, for sure. Might as well get the proper setting die also.
As for the K Hornet chamber or any other Ackley type improved case, that was the general idea that P.O. had when he designed the case, not only for less case growth and some FPS increase, a person could also, in a pinch, fire standard cases in it, but he also seated the bullet to touch the lands, prior to firing, when he was able to do so. And then you had a good/fully improved case in the shape of your chamber.
Don't make more work for yourself, than is necessary, but you are free to work it out the best you believe to do so. Enjoy the rifle in K Hornet. Bill K
Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Supporting Member

The ZKW 465 is a very common rifle down here, for many years experienced reloaders and gun writers recommended using RWS brass as the rim is thicker and seems to overcome the head space issues that other brass producers, from memory sako brass does this also

Johno
Old 12-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Supporting Member

I have had a few primers back out because of head space issues. NOT chamber/barrel head space issues, just brass being too short and moving in the chamber before being formed all the way. Once the case is formed, no more issues. Just make sure you don't end up pushing the shoulders back too far (again) when resizing.
What Bill K suggested about pulling the bullets out a bit and the increased OAL keeping the case head against the bolt face should let you get a full formed case. Got nothing to loose by trying it. Sure beats pulling barrels or any other mechanical fix. Fire a few rounds and see what your brass looks like. Might be an easy fix.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:25 AM

Smile

I have a Lee 22 Hornet Collet Neck Sizing Die. I used this to successfully reload for another K Hornet many years ago using washers on top of the shell holder to move the sizing action highr up the case onto the short K neck. I never remember full sizing the K Hornet brass, and if I recall they would last 10 - 12 mild loads before I discarded them. I am hoping that this strategy will work with this K Hornet too.

The barrel's rifling is still well defined in the throat, and it should be easy to find bullets that jam into the rifling at magazine friendly overall Cartridge Lengths. (The Cartridge Jam Length of the Speer 40 gr. bullet measures 1.738") Not currently owning a 6mm Expander Die, trying the Bullet Jam method for a few fire forming rounds seems like an expediently cheap strategy.

The False Shoulder tactic does sounds like the most robust solution, but it will have to wait until after Christmas as I have already spent all my fun money for the month and my wife is keeping a pretty close eye on the VISA bill.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:40 AM

Hi All,

I've had three "K" hornets, the only one I did NOT have case problems with was one I had made. I had the smith set the barrel back so that the chamber was cut with the proper head space for the rim. The others were "re-chambered" by running the reamer into the existing chamber, one was not round and the other was cut too deep, increasing the head space.

I think that you should do a chamber cast and verify the size of your chamber, the head space for the rim SHOULD be the same as for the standard Hornet.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
I have a Lee 22 Hornet Collet Neck Sizing Die. I used this to successfully reload for another K Hornet many years ago using washers on top of the shell holder to move the sizing action highr up the case onto the short K neck. I never remember full sizing the K Hornet brass, and if I recall they would last 10 - 12 mild loads before I discarded them. I am hoping that this strategy will work with this K Hornet too.

The barrel's rifling is still well defined in the throat, and it should be easy to find bullets that jam into the rifling at magazine friendly overall Cartridge Lengths. (The Cartridge Jam Length of the Speer 40 gr. bullet measures 1.738") Not currently owning a 6mm Expander Die, trying the Bullet Jam method for a few fire forming rounds seems like an expediently cheap strategy.

The False Shoulder tactic does sounds like the most robust solution, but it will have to wait until after Christmas as I have already spent all my fun money for the month and my wife is keeping a pretty close eye on the VISA bill.
washers on the shell holder I GOTTA TRY THIS genious !!!
Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM

Default Forming K Hornet from factory load

Lost me on the washers on the shell holder idea. Would it not be easier to just back the die out a few turns ? Bill K
Old 12-13-2018, 02:23 PM
Supporting Member

Good luck with whatever approach you take to solving your problem. I'd definitely also try the light lube of the cases that JohnHenry suggested as a very quick and cheap effort to see if it cures your problem.

Just one last comment about the AI process and then I'll back out of the saloon. PO Ackley never designed his process to require jamming bullets to create AI cases. Instead he used a rifle chamber with less head space distance than the factory cartridge chamber that he was improving. This required/s setting the barrel back one or two threads and rechambering with the slightly shorter AI reamer. This alone insured that the factory case would be in a light crush fit mode when the rifle was properly chambered, and the face of the factory cartridge would be securely located against the bolt face of the rifle when the cartridge was fired and formed to the AI design for that cartridge.

Jamming bullets became the common "solution" when someone created an "AI chamber" in their pet rifle by not pulling the barrel and setting it back one or two threads. All rifles created without setting the barrel back and re-chambering had/have excessive head space, and jamming bullets was the only "fix" for many folks to make their rifles work. It was a fix for them, but old PO had the real solution in his AI process in a rifle that could then safely be passed on to someone else without an explanation about the rifle's uniqueness that a new owner needs to know about to be safe. It was safe for firing both factory cartridges in it as well as reloading existing brass formed and re-sized in the proper manner.

I didn't learn this by just by reading books or internet comments. I mostly learned it a lot of years ago from spending a very enjoyable afternoon and early evening in the Salt Lake City area with the crusty old man who designed the process......... It came straight from the horse's mouth as some will say.......

The K-Hornet process from standard Hornet brass is not the exact same same as the AI process as both cases originally head space off the cartridge rim. The K version has the advantage of easily head spacing off the case shoulder for future use as I'm sure you understand.

One last thought..........if you are using light loads in your Hornet brass that is then "K'ed" upon firing, the light load might not be totally forming the brass and the primer protrusion that you are seeing might be a result of that. Maybe try a heavier Hornet load if that might be the case. I would think that factory ammo would for fine, but just an additional thought to consider in your specific situation.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine