Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-11-2018, 12:25 PM

Default Jeff,I’m definitely envious of your revolvers....

Especially the 41 Bisley Hunter,not many of them around.
Also been thinking that I need a #1 in 204,dang they are speedy though.
I hope you get that 6.5x55,great round and Lapua brass for it is pretty inexpensive for some reason,compared to other Lapua cases.
Matt
Old 12-11-2018, 06:51 PM

I forget where the 41 Hunter came from. Buddy called and found two in stock. So he ordered one and I the other. We had hoped they would be consecutive serial numbers, nope there was one inbetween.

It really wants to shoot, but the darn thing won't chamber a WFN design or anything with a big front driving band. Have to size .409ish. Have a 215 mold that should not shoot, according to most thoughts on a cast bullet design.

Have a 657 that is just an out standing rig for SW.
Both have a liking for longshot and the now discontinued HS7.

Had to have one of the five shot Blackhawks in 480 Ruger. Rugers first and only production pistol cartridge. They said they would never chamber it in the Blackhawk. I had a bit of inside on this and found out they were coming. I ordered three, as I knew for sure two other guys would also have to have one even if they had to sell a kidney. It is a good rig, but also has its quirks. Another project I need to get back on.

I really thought we would see a center fire 25 caliber show up. There was a lot of talk and some work done when the 22rf ammo was such a mess. I have not given up on it, as other also think it is feasible. There were guys using 25 ACP and the hornet case shortened up. Some pretty impressive results from wheel guns.
Jeff
Old 12-11-2018, 07:48 PM

one of the firsgt guns i lerned to shoot with was aruger all weather in 22 hornet brillant gun
Old 12-12-2018, 01:25 AM
Supporting Member

I've got a bunch and sold a few and probably put some money in a couple I should of moved to a new home with a not so picky owner.

I've got 4 of the 17-22/77's 3 winners (2 out of the box) 1 that took some work and 1 that had to be rebarreled and a bunch of work and it still is not a great shooter but acceptable.

One that I traded to a friend and should of kept was a 1V 220 Swift that was just wicked accurate.

Had and sold 77's chambered 257 Roberts, 06, and 243. All were acceptable hunting accuracy just not what I was looking for.

Had 3 Mark 1's down to just one. 2 targets and one standard. Handed the standard down to my son as my dad handed it to me. The targets shot ok but don't hold a candle to my Browning medalist or Smith K22 target.

I've got a Super Blackhawk in 44 along with a couple of regular Blackhawks. A couple of "something different" chamberings. One is the 357 Bobcat (44 mag. necked to .357) and I have one of the Buckeye models chambered in 38-40 and 10mm All these shoot very well.

Just about forgot: I also have 2 single six's, an old 3 screw 4" and a newer stainless 6". The 3 screw is minute of coffee can @ 20 yards while the longer barrel stainless model is more like minute of soda can at 30 yards.

That's my take and experiences with Ruger's

Last edited by long shot; 12-12-2018 at 03:44 PM. Reason: forgot the single six's
Old 12-12-2018, 04:32 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Hmm, good reports on Rugers.

Don't have any special reasons, just never got interested in
their rifles. At one time I was going to buy a 10/22, the idea
of a take out magazine turns me off as I'd sure lose the thing.

I have a special liking to Blackhawks, think i have about half
dozen of them now and a pair of Single sixes. Had one stolen and
bought a new one to have a pair.

I'd bought one new here, and July '11 crossing Fla, we stopped at several gun
stores. One place had a couple for sale. One was within 25 #s of the one I had at home. Brought it home with me. Haven't fired any of the three even once.

Had an Old Model .30 Carbine I bought in '73 for $83.50 soon after getting out of the Army. Bet I'd shot it over 10,000 rounds. That was in the bunch of 6 gun "a friend" stole a few years ago. Last year I bought a new one, not fired it yet.

Really like the .45 Colt. all I have are full 7 1/2" I wouldn't want a big bore shorter.

Had a 9mm/357 combo. Rebarreled it with a Green Mtn tube and had the 9mm cyl bored out to .40 S/W. Need to get off my can and develop a decent load for it. So far all I've tried have been pipsqueek loads. Want to shoot it over a chronograph. Loads others claim well into 900+fps feel like popgun loads in this bigger heavier gun. Just might be doing a job I can't feel.

Been adding guns and not shooting, think there's 7 or 8 new one's that have never been fired.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-19-2018, 03:35 AM
Supporting Member

Real nice looking Hornet Weasil! As I say redundantly, "I'm an equal opportunity gun lover, I love em all"! Never understood those that love or hate any one make blindly, seems kinda narrow minded to me.
Way back when I was still packing my first new .22 which was a Remington Nylon 76 lever action, (loved it!). A buddy got a new Ruger 10/22 which I'd never seen before, loved it too ! Bought the first one I saw for sale in a gun-store and had one ever-since. The 10/22 I have now is their Sporter Model, it took a trip to Clarks Custom Guns in LA when I first got it and it is uncanny accurate. Heavy straight fluted barrel now, jeweled bolt, 2 1/2lb trigger. We use to say during gopher season the 10/22 should be the Montana State Rifle. As to the State gopher pistol, same story, Rugers. The Anschutz in this picture is history but the Rugers are here to stay. The Slab-Side is the Brides and the scope was a short term experiment since removed. Both the Brides Slab-Side and my Government Model Have Volquartzen triggers and Bowen Small Game sights with real fine front post. Seriously accurate rat smackers!

My first M77 was a .270 I bought new in the box for next to nothing it seemed in the early 70's. It was an honest 3/4 inch 3 shot group rifle and another rifle I truly regret selling. New M77 was a number of years later in 6MM Rem and it was a clunker, we're talking three inch groups and the smith at the store I bought it from couldn't help. Everybody makes a problem child now and then. He treated me real well getting out of it though. I always admired the looks of the wood stocked M77 a great deal.
My most favorite Ruger is this one, an early edition 9 shot mag. It was my Father-in-laws now passed. He and I were real close. He'd been in Korea and we talked a lot when we had family get together's. He left me all his guns. I've smucked a few gophers with this one since I got it, I know he's pleased. I believe as memory serves he said he bought that gun new in the box for $39.00.

Saw this Ruger thread and it brought up a lotta memories. As I said, I love em all .
Old 12-19-2018, 04:17 AM

Nice rugers Doug!
I love most....cant warm up to savage and that's about it as far as what I've shot/handled.

ALL others usually make me smile.

I keep buying Brownings and I'm gonna have to start a fresh thread........never gave much credence to browning until my first Abolt hornet.....now there's no turning back.

There might be a Browning 1885 in 22 hornet under my Christmas tree......dream rifle.
More to come on that front...have a Merry Christmas all!!

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 12-19-2018 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:20 AM
Supporting Member

Never had a Browning. I do have an 1885 though, the original but highly tweak$$$ed. .17 Killer Bee. It has a 1 1/4 inch Unertl 10X Small Varmint scope.

It turned into about a 4 year project from Hades , never again but real nice now it's done.
Keep us updated on your new Browning. I think Alex has a Browning Hornet that he really like as memory serves. Merry Christmas to ya and everyone else for that matter .
Old 12-19-2018, 11:07 AM
Supporting Member

Not a rifle but Charlie's posts made me think of it. We have a real live pistol smith up in White Sulfur Springs MT, Ben Forkin (a real good Pistol Smith he is too!), real rare commodity here in Montana. He worked for Hamilton Bowen for a number of years, "Bowens Custom Guns" (check out his Ruger conversions on the net, Ben Forkin's too for that matter). Ben has "Forkins Custom Classics". He did both the Ruger rat guns above and also my hunting handgun. I near stole a Redhawk from a friend who needed to sell it before his wife got back to town and busted him buying an HK he didn't need.
Ben trued, and overhauled the Redhawk completely, really slicked the trigger and put a Bowen flat-backed rear sight and made a thicker post for old guy eyeballs. Most accurate .44 Mag I've ever had. I'm shooting 21.5 grains of 296 under a 290 grain BRP hardcast Gas-check projectile that that has a big flat Meplat reminiscent of a Kieth that chrono's 1350ish FPS out of the 6 1/2 inch Pac-Nor he put on it for me.

First deer I shot with it after I got it back. Beat heck outta shooting watermelons Charlie.

Wrecked a lotta meat though, the part that makes great sandwiches.

This is the last deer I took with it, through and through'd him at 72 yards, he made it about 15 yards.

Still ain't been able to take an elk with it yet however, must be Ruger's fault huh?
Old 12-19-2018, 03:16 PM

My first gun was a 10/22 that I got around 1974. I still have it, but now it has a Fajen stock and a 16" 10/22 target barrel tweeked by Clarke Customs and a VQ trigger. The first handgun I bought is a MKII target. My Ruger's are mostly pistols. A Security Six and Blackhawk, both in .357, LC9, LCP, SR22. I had a Super Redhawk in .44M but sold it and got a S&W 629 with a 4" barrel. I bought a 10/22 TD and put on a Magpul backpacker stock for the cool factor. The only centerfire I have is the 77/22/17H. I love it but hindsight being 20/20 should have waited for a CZ instead of putting close to a grand in. I really want a #1 even knowing they are REALLY a hit and miss with accuracy. I really wished they made a .17WSM in a #1.