Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-12-2018, 06:00 AM
Supporting Member

Spoil me, how about a photo a nice Studebaker Champ ute (pick up) has to be a members or family of

Johno
Old 12-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Supporting Member

Al, your race shop is more than impressive looking!!

Don
Old 12-13-2018, 05:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Johno:

Had a good friend that had a couple of mid 50's Stude's p/up's.
Sold 'em, then died about 12 years ago.

I painted a '50 Champion car once. Beautiful black, turned out fine!
Then my bil ran it into the back of a dump truck when the sun got in his
eye's.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Supporting Member

Al somehow I remember your car being pictured in some of the hot rod magazines when I was a bit younger.

My first car was a MkII Zephyr (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Zephyr), V8's weren't all that common here in New Zealand but when the straight 6 expired I fitted a 272 V8.
That car went west shortly after doing that and I bought a MkIV Zephyr with a 327 V8 fitted. That was the car I lost my eye in when a "mate" crashed it into a bollard on the wharf.

Well that 327 ended up in a 23 T bucket I built, that was a real fun car to drive.

Here in NZ the roads have numerous curves and corners so to go anywhere quickly you need a car that will handle......so most of the cars I've owned have gone round corners as fast as they go along the straights.

One of the cars I owned was a MkII Cortina...….with a Essex 3.0l V6 swapped in place of the 1600cc 4cyl. This was pretty nimble and reasonably quick. I got pulled up one day for speeding, the mufti cop had been chasing me for a few km's (I didn't know that until just before he pulled me over)
Anyway when I saw him in my rear view mirror I slowed down. The first question he asked me when I stopped was "do you know what speed you were doing?" to which I replied "No I was too busy watching the road"
His reply was " I was doing just over 170kph when you pulled out and passed those three cars and left me for dead"
He asked where I was going in such a hurry and I said to the Timaru Courthouse, he did ask what I was going there for, to which I replied "I'm a police witness in a case" He said I should slow down or I might not get there and he sent me on my way and didn't give me a speeding ticket.

I currently have a couple of BMW's a 5 series E39 530 Motorsport, it goes around corners like a dream but lacks a bit of power so the other one I own is a S5 Schnitzer E39 (a E39 540is motorsport with schnitzer tuning and styling kit). The V8 has the get up and go I like, 160kph in 3rd gear with 3 to go and goes around corners pretty good, yes it does have a few mods.

It seems I have always wanted to improve the vehicle I own which is probably why my Subaru Brumby ute (Brat in the USA) has a 2.2l legacy motor and a modified legacy/leone gearbox which gives me hi/lo ratio and centre diff lock. This goes anywhere and is awesome fun in snow.

But the one that is still a work in progress is my 69 Mustang, if I could stop working on customers cars and do some work on the Mustang It would be finished a lot quicker...………..Kiwi
Old 12-13-2018, 04:21 PM

That looks like it might be even more expensive than hanging out here and shooting small calibers.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:28 PM
Supporting Member

I know James Calhoon fits the profile.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:19 PM

Not a go fast car by any stretch of the imagination. More of a go anywhere rig. Definitely a hobby unto itself, that cross pollinates with some of my other hobbies.

'06 Wrangler LJ, bought new in Dec. of '05. Too many mods to remember, let alone list, have done them all myself with the exception of setting up the ring and pinions and some of the welding. Have had an awful lot of fun with it.

- DAA
Old 12-13-2018, 08:37 PM

All of my car pics are long gone. Angry ex.
67 Nova SS ran a 9/16 stroker for a while, had a set of Crane heads and Brodix heads. Built a new frame and 4 link narrowed 9" and a 510 big block, 75 hp nitrous shot, 400 turbo and a stall and or a Lenco. PITA to drive on a cruise night.
Pretty much messed it up on night on a hard launch street racing. Cracked windshield and buckled the roof.
Got out for a while and started dirt track. That carried on for several years.
Then I came to my senses and walked away from all of it.
Still have friends in both. Lot of expensive toys, rent a house, every day driver is a turd. Their enclosed trailer and 4 door one ton rigs way out rank their homes. Won't spend a dime on the every day driver,not wont blink dropping 60-70 k on a motor to win $1000 to win feature.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:01 PM

My best car so far was a 1967 Ford Ranchero. Black with gold flake, lowered 3 inches. 302 rebuilt, leather interior black on black. Miss that car......
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 12-13-2018, 09:20 PM

Default Shooters and cars

No photo's either, long lost in moves or such. But began sport car racing in mid 60's with a modified TF MG, black and tricked out engine. Won a few and had fun with the other races around the state of California.
Then obtained a 57 Old wagon, tricked it out with the J-2 engine and painted it white with Bahama blue, two tone. very sweet and drove it all over the states and into Canada three times on vacations, always drew lots of attention.
Also from the mid 50's played with jeeps, from the first pickup, to a flat fendered 41 Willys that I put a small chev v-6 in, power steering, lift, etc. sold that in late 70's, which I have always been sorry for.
Now run a 92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, which has some mod's and it will go and go what I want, hopefully the rest of my life. All fun cars, and did have a few others along with them during those days. Bill K