Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 06-02-2018, 10:08 PM

Default Bullet jacket dies??

I will go to auctions, but estate sales I just feel uncomfortable rummaging through a house. Feel like a burglar.
Buddy had given me the heads up on an estate sale early this week. Just was never on my todo list. I did go over there today, 50-75% off of tag price. Didn't figure on much being there.
Reloading stuff mostly Lee with a few Redding and CH sets. All looked well cared for and oiled. Some were brand new unused. Odd thing all we're in plastic zip bags. So that made it a chore to go through.

I looked through all of them at least twice. One bag has a CH swage die of some sort .357, marked CH.

Another bag just said .224 bullet making dies. For the money I couldn't go wrong. I have found zero markings on them.

I am no good at posting pictures. I can email or text them but posting anymore is a pita for me. I can send pics of the dies if any of you may have an idea of what I may have. I could not be so lucky as to the set being complete.

What I found odd was there were no other presses other than a lee progressive.
Appreciate any help.
Jeff
Old 06-05-2018, 11:05 AM
Supporting Member

Default dies

please forward pics to Eharren at Comcast dot net
Old 06-05-2018, 12:23 PM

I can send you pics, but I got it figured out.
It is the Corbin kit for 22rf jackets and the other two dies for swaging bullets. There are extra pieces that came with the stuff, which was what had me stumped. After a little reading I see why the extra parts.
Suprised though that there was no markings, ID markings on any of the dies or parts.
Jeff
Old 06-05-2018, 06:49 PM
Supporting Member

Default bullet dies

In that case never mind.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:03 PM

Thanks to all who pointed me in a direction of information.

As mentioned above I just kind of fell into these by accident. Just what I need another project.......or investment. I have been reading and chasing data and info.
I am up in the air so to speak on wether to move forward with these and see what I can make. I am in them cheap enough I could spend a few hundred and still not be in bad shape, investment wise.

Expectations, a bare minimum of MOA out to 200 yards. If I settle for worse than that I feel it is a waste of time energy and effort. I can deal with the occasional flyer in a group.

I have an abundance of lead, but less time to cast. I see most prefer to swage cast cores to uniform any way. I would lean towards lead wire fore cores. I think I can build a core cutter fairly cheap.

Just going to fiddle with it as time allows. I stuck my toe into casting 20 some years ago. That was the deepest puddle I ever stepped into. Went into it over my head in short order.
Jeff
Old 06-14-2018, 12:37 PM

Is there a preferred 22rf case to make jackets from?

I am able to gather some fired brass from a training center. Lapua, RWS and Eley are the most used.

TIA
Jeff
Old 06-15-2018, 07:32 AM
Board Sponsor

The brand of case is fairly immaterial. The sorting based on weight, creases, folds, etc. is more important as is lot to lot variations on the brass.

Keep in mind you can have an easy 10% variance in lot to lot and 25% variance on brand to brand.

I annealed all mine after the rim has been removed and if they are drawn to .17 cal they get another short anneal after that.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 06-17-2018, 06:23 PM

What reed1911 said is about right.
The Lapua brass is a little softer and easier to derim and I find Winchester brass quiet hard and brittle these days. If you are going to draw it down and trim to a certain length of jacket you will find the variances are reduced simply because you are using less material. Sort by head stamp and if you know some of the shooters where you get your brass, collect from individual rifles that do not tear the brass with the firing pin. Like everything it is all about consistency. Know your annealing temps and times and lube requirements when core seating and point forming. These aspects have far more influence on the final outcome than manufacturers of the brass.

Billsshed
Old 06-22-2018, 12:45 PM

After having watched and read some on the subject, I see a bunch of benches that are pure junk. They say their press is flexing, the whole bench is flexing and twisting!
I have some H beam I am fixing on making pedastal out of, then anchoring it to the concrete and wall.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
After having watched and read some on the subject, I see a bunch of benches that are pure junk. They say their press is flexing, the whole bench is flexing and twisting!
I have some H beam I am fixing on making pedastal out of, then anchoring it to the concrete and wall.
Solid everything is the go. I built my bench out out of 2x4 and form ply. Bolted braced and screwed. C channel bolted to that and then the press stand welded and bolted to that. Bomb proof. All about repeatable results.

Bill