Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-13-2020, 05:51 PM
Supporting Member

Default New Rifle and Revolver!

During the past year I've been selling off a few firearms to help support other hobbies and some travel. I vowed, at 67 years old, I'd stop buying firearms. Most of the guns I sold I never fired!
Out of all the guns I sold, I only regret selling one of them.....A Ruger Blackhawk, 3-Screw, Unconverted, 4.5" barrel in 41 Magnum......Here in Massachusetts a handgun must have been in the state before 1998 for it to be grandfathered, otherwise it can not be transferred in from another state and sold to a Massachusetts resident. (I hate living here but grandkids has my wife firmly anchored...)

So months ago I start looking for another BH/3screw/41Mag.......Like finding a unicorn here in MA!

Wednesday I sold a very nice Remington 11-87 to a fellow and did the FFL transfer at a gun shop that was some distance from my house, but equal distance for both of us to drive. This gun shop had two 3-screw, unconverted Ruger BHs. But both in 38/357 (although one had the extra 9mm cylinder!) ....But I wanted a 41 Magnum...

We left that shop and went two miles to another shop in the area...Just to look around. Sure enough, way in the back of the gun case was a 4.5" Ruger BH, 3-screw.....I couldn't see the caliber, but the bore was easily seen to not be 38 cal. I had him pull it out and nearly pissed myself!!! It was Identical to the one I let get away. He wanted $700....I had an envelope with $600 in it from the sale of the shotgun a few minutes before....I threw the envelope on the counter and said it was all the $$ I had on me. He accepted my offer! And I'm a VERY happy camper!

But it doesn't end here.....

A few weeks ago, on another forum I frequent, a fellow was selling a Lyman Sharps Model 1878 in 30-30 caliber. These are actually Sharps 1877 rifles, but are called 1878 to celebrate the 140th anniversary of Lyman Gun Sight Company. They limited production to 140 rifles. The price was VERY fair and included brass, bullets, dies.....It was listed for a couple weeks. I couldn't believe it didn't sell. On Saturday morning, while drinking coffee and reading that forum, I saw he relisted it. I thought he had finally sold it. I emailed him and send funds immediately.
A few days later it showed up......I'm totally in love! Now I have a 1859, 1863, 1874, 1875 and 1877 Sharps rifles in the rack! Can't wait to take it deer hunting!

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 03-13-2020, 06:32 PM

Those are both VERY nice. It's great to hear someone fulfilling a strong need for a rare firearm they have been searching for. I've searched for more than a decade for something I really wanted, so I know your feeling of satisfaction. Well done.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:36 PM
Supporting Member

To me, "The Hunt" for a firearm is easily as much fun as owning and shooting it! I could write a book on the guns I searched for and finally found....

If you have some time, and lots of us do have time now with this Corona thing, you might want to spend a couple hours on my web site in the firearms section. You might find the articles there about "rescuing" old guns interesting.....

www.rvbprecision.com

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 03-13-2020, 08:16 PM

Default Nice post!

Congrats on the finds, enjoyed your post and pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:35 PM
Supporting Member

Yep looks like you done good

Tom
Old 03-13-2020, 10:21 PM

Both look very good, for lots of fun times. The Lyman is that the new 30-30 sharps they have out ? Thanks for sharing. BIll K
Old 03-13-2020, 11:30 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
The Lyman is that the new 30-30 sharps they have out ?
It came out a couple years ago. Smaller dimensions to their usual 1878 in 45-70. They only made 140 of them. Very collectible. Nice lightweight carry hunting rifle.....As long as I don't scratch it all up!

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 03-14-2020, 12:50 AM

Better yet in the larger caliber.. Missed seeing that one, when it came out. Bill K