Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-09-2022, 07:36 PM

Default Forming 17HH from 22H with no master dies.

G’day,

I’ve searched through threads and posts but can’t find any definitive system for reforming 22 Hornet to 17 Hornet brass not using reforming dies.
It’s seems impossible to find master forming dies anywhere in the world and Ive had a die on order with a local company (Simplex) for over 12 months.
Bullberry legacy doesn’t export to Australia due to state law so that’s out.

I have 500 PPU New brass (which took a long time to come out of Europe) sitting waiting to be formed but don’t know where to start if theres a method using basic sizing or seating dies to step down or alike.

Any information in regards to solution using available tooling would be enormously appreciated.

Best regards,

Tony
Old 01-09-2022, 08:06 PM

Not sure about you buying and them sending to Aus. But bullberry and other die makers have forming dies to take down the 22 H to 17 H.
I have been able to also lube the neck on some and just run them into the 17 H die, with success.

Just caught your info re: bullberry. so I guess forget them.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Not sure about you buying and them sending to Aus. But bullberry and other die makers have forming dies to take down the 22 H to 17 H.
I have been able to also lube the neck on some and just run them into the 17 H die, with success.

Just caught your info re: bullberry. so I guess forget them.
Thanks Bill. Redding and RCBS both haven’t produced forming dies for a while now, every online store I visit is “out of stock and unavailable for back order”.

I’ll give running a case through a standard 17 sizing die a go and see what the outcome is, I just assumed it would need more of a gradual step down than what a standard sizing die would offer.

Best regards, Tony
Old 01-09-2022, 09:09 PM

Tony

When I was playing with a 14 Walker Hornet I used a double end sizing die from Reed's ammunition to work the 22 Hornet down to .17 cal. Ron Reed is a member her on the site. Don't remember his username might be( reed1911). You can contact him and see if he will ship a die to you.

Mike
Old 01-09-2022, 09:48 PM

You might try running the case into the seater die ( with the stem removed) first using a good sizing lube.
Than use resize die second. Practice on some junk brass first.
Good luck.

Hal
Old 01-09-2022, 10:02 PM

Given your situation, I'd just purchase a couple 7/8-14 bolts and visit a friend with a lathe and a selection of drills and straight flute reamers and have them make a die or two for you. If you're careful you can size the neck area of the 22 Hornet case without buckling the case at the shoulder. I use a 17MK4 forming die set to form 17 Ackley Hornet cases this way.

I've shipped a die set from the US to NZ without any issues, so I don't know why Bullberry won't do the same. The import regulations are pretty clear on this matter.

Last edited by Johnly; 01-10-2022 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:41 AM

Default Thank you

I went down the road of that BillK suggested this morning and did some R&D with some standard die sets I had (Redding and Hornady).
I sacrificed 5 pieces of brass to get to a solution which I’d didn’t thing was to bad.

For anyone who’s interested.

The learning.....
Redding 17 seating die isn’t tapered as such a .22 neck won’t even start in it. (I’d didn’t try the Hornady seating die as it’s dialled into exactly where I want it ATM).
Hornady FLS die leaves crimp lines in the neck
Redding FLS needs to float in the press so as to not crush the shoulder.
Without annealing the shoulders crack no matter what the size or type of charge is used during fire forming.

My process.

1. Set calliper 1 with a Hornady 20 cal ogive gauge to a datum line where the neck meets the shoulder on a piece of fire formed resized (bumped .020) factory brass and reset to zero.

2. Screw down Redding FLS die (minus expander/decapping) until it contacts case neck, screw down another 2 turns (Making sure it still floats then run a 22 hornet case with imperial sizing wax on the neck into the die, measure with calliper 1 and keep screwing down until zero is reached and mark die to press position with a pen. Screw die down a further a quarter of a turn, turn die lock nut down until it seats and tighten, back die of quarter of a turn returning it to marked floating position. (This makes uninstall install close to repeatable).

3. Clean lube off case with acetone and anneal.

4. Lube inside of neck with Lyman drylube and expand with Kmshooting expander die and .17225 mandrel.

5. Trim to 1.345 with calliper 2 (.005 above usual max)

6. Prime with BR2 and seat a 20gn vmax

7. Charge with 10 gn ADI 2207

8.Shoot and success as the fire formed case specs match the fire formed factory case specs.

Thanks everyone. Pics below.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
Given your situation, I'd just purchase a couple 7/8-14 bolts and visit a friend with a lathe and a selection of drills and straight flute reamers and have them make a die or two for you. If you're careful you can size the neck area of the 22 Hornet case without buckling the case at the shoulder. I use a 17MK4 forming die set to form 17 Ackley Hornet cases this way.

I've shipped a die set from the US to NZ without any issues, so I don't know why Bullberry won't do the same. The import regulations are pretty clear on this matter.
I thought the same but was told by Tim I think it is that the legislation changes US state to state. Not sure mate, all I know is that he couldn’t send one out.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:11 AM

The Bullberry form die is 7/8 x 14 ready rod cut to length with a hole drilled in each end. It works very well. I have used it to make all of my 17AH cases from 22 hornet brass.