Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawkeye View Post
Check out the Tipton carbon fiber rods. They make ones specific to 20cal as well as 17 cal. Very pleased with them.
I use the Tipton carbon fiber also. I also own Ivy, Pro shot and Deweys.

Dave
Old 12-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Supporting Member

Default Ivy

I have 3 different calibers of the Ivy rods, you won't be dissapointed.

Drew
Old 12-09-2013, 08:29 PM

Different strokes for different folks but I would NEVER push a bare steel rod through a barrel that's worth anything. I cringe when I see one being used on
a barrel someone's got $500+ wrapped up in. Dewey, Tipton or other coated rod as recommended by most premium barrel manufacturers. Hog

Last edited by Hog Patrol; 12-09-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
Different strokes for different folks but I would NEVER push a bare steel rod through a barrel that's worth anything. I cringe when I see one being used on
a barrel someone's got $500+ wrapped up in it. 4 Dewey, Tipton or other coated rod. Hog
Agree...

Tipton here!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Supporting Member

No interest in starting a pissing match, cleaning rifles is a personal preference thing and we all have our sacred cows when it comes to stuff like that.

I use they Ivy rods because they stay straight, and they are hard enough so they do not embed grit and become an emory rod. I have used them for several years and if I noticed/suspected any problems relating to cleaning I would rethink, but have not done so yet.
Drew
Old 12-10-2013, 06:36 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks everyone, I've used Dewey, Tipton and Pro Shot but most of my rods are Dewey.

The 6mm Tipton rod I've got I stopped using when I noticed the brass feral at the end was not square with the rod, when you screwed a jag on the end it doesn't point in the same direction as the rod.........now I figure this will push something off centre and possibly make it rub in the bore.

All of my Dewey's are straight, but some handles spin better than others, I've sent an email to Ivy and will most likely buy a couple of their rods.

Thanks for everyone's input.........Kiwi
Old 12-11-2013, 02:58 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Kiwi:
Denny turns the rods in his lathe and drills/threads internally perfectly straight. The handles have at least two ball bearings in them too. So they turn very easy and follow the twist as they should.
He also furnished me with four brushes too.

You'll be happy with them. Next thing you need to do is teach Shorty how to clean guns and let her do it while you go play somewhere else. "

Wish you well over there.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-11-2013, 05:46 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Kiwi:
Denny turns the rods in his lathe and drills/threads internally perfectly straight. The handles have at least two ball bearings in them too. So they turn very easy and follow the twist as they should.
He also furnished me with four brushes too.

You'll be happy with them. Next thing you need to do is teach Shorty how to clean guns and let her do it while you go play somewhere else. "

Wish you well over there.
Hmmm don't give me ideas George, even though I've taught her how to clean a rifle she draws the line at cleaning all mine I can't understand why......Kiwi
Old 12-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Supporting Member

I ordered an Ivy rod a couple weeks ago because he is the only one that makes a 40 inch rod. I built a 17 VHA with a Pierce action and using a Lucas bore guide. My Deweyrod was too short. I hope they are as good as everyone says they are.

Last edited by Waskawood; 12-11-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:26 PM

I have used the Dewey coated rods for years. No complaints.

The small caliber, longish rods do present some user challenges though.

I think any rod has to be braced along the stock comb when used to cut down external flex; and of course, a proper fitting rod guide is a requirement. If the brush goes over the guide, the guide is too big.

The proper guide will keep the coated rod off the beginning of the throat which can shread the coatings in a hurry............and does the throat little good.

It is not only the choice of rod, but the support manually and with a proper bearing guide that makes a difference. Kinda like the all bronze brushes as well.

One might note the interface of brush screw fitting to the end of the rod, sometimes they are larger on the brush side, and on the return stroke bangs the crown.